UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Smashing stuff there. That's probably the cheapest legitimate price for Haibane Renmei in any store in any country.

Edit: Apparently it's not shrinkwrapped. That might explain the discount.

Aion said:
My Ergo Proxy set arrived today. It has seven discs; not four. A bonus disc, which was included with the old Geneon box set, is the seventh.

Sounds suspect! Does it have 2009 emblazoned on the cover somewhere, the Funimation logo? It sounds like they had some of the old original Geneon stock left over and mailed you that instead. In which case WIN! Everywhere else has been talking about Ergo Proxy being a four discer.

EDIT: Does it still have DTS English?

It has 2009 on the back and the Funimation logo is on the case. And, yes, it does have a DTS track. There's no mention of seven discs on the back, oddly - only six are mentioned.

The product number - GN08662 - matches that of the viridian collection and the packaging is the same as the Paradise Kiss re-release, with a Geneon logo at the top of the spine.

I think it has the normal disc count for the Geneon re-releases because Geneon do the hard work and Funimation only help them sell the sets. The discs themselves appear to be indentical to the previous Geneon releases, and the same can be said of the Paradise Kiss discs.

Going on the first eight episodes, it isn't that great. I wouldn't be looking forward to it if I were you.

The characters have no likeability, with them rarely not talking about plot issues. This means I feel no involvement whatsoever; not caring what happens to the characters. And the series is also the usual 'mystery anime' fare, where nothing gets explained despite monsters fighting and shooting eye lazers at each other, and it's easy to see that nothing big is going to happen during the middle of the story because even early on its clear it was stretched to fit 23 episodes.

Darkmage530's 6/10 MAL seems to be pretty much spot on, though I'd give it 7/10 for being different; not being about high school girls or samurai.

Play USA for £17.99

Aion, thats the one of the main reasons I ordered it - it doesn't feature any high school girls, am already super bored with all those kind of shows.

I really like Ergo Proxy. The main plot is your standard dystopian fare, but it's the episodes in the middle, where the series becomes more episodic, strange, and even occasionally comedic, that I love. Knowing Aion's taste, though, those episodes won't impress him much at all.

The main problem with the show is that it's not as clever as it thinks it is. Dai Sato is obviously well-read and he wants the viewer to know about it. But when he's not trying too hard, Ergo Proxy succeeds.

After a break from Anime I decided to start watching something again and continued with Ergo Proxy.

I have to say, its been a major disappointment, I thought the 1st disc (1st 4 eps) were very impressive, which is why I bought the boxset and I just get the feeling that they had a story that can't cover 23 eps. Probably could have been told in about 10 tbh. Although saying that still got the last 3 to watch, so it could yet finish on a high.

Usually not one for these daft episodes they throw in but I really liked the game show ep, not usually my cup of tea but I got right into it.

Cheers, Juspa. Gone for Burst Angel since I own the first two volumes.

Too bad the crap Love Hina singles weren't 99p before; I only needed volumes 4-6 before paying £18 for a dented box set.

Back