UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I'll admit, that's a no, but I think 2 items would be relatively safe. I haven't used the site before, does anyone know if they mark their items below their actual value on the customs form?

Also, yes it was. I'm looking at amazon now but I don't see the one you're talking about. Cheapest I can see that ships internationally is £19.

I meant the UK site: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VOVW90/

There are quite often decent prices on SAVE editions and other lower priced US releases on there and it's handy when they're below the customs limit.

I notice that AllYourMusic will occasionally note "(VAT PAID)" on some of the listings, which I assume mean they're shipping those from their warehouse in Europe rather than that they're actually going to make sure the VAT is paid (though I suppose they presumably paid something to get them into Europe in the first place). I've considered some of the ones above the customs limit based on that, I figure if I take a screenshot of the listing then even if I get charged I should be able to claim a refund from them with it as evidence (or take up the complaint with Amazon if necessary). A few of the sellers tend to post from within Europe anyway so customs could be less of an issue that way.

On Special.
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Episode 1 (Aus DVD). UP1 £12.60 (£13.80 Inc P+P)/UP1USA £10.22 (£11.38 Inc P+P).
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Episode 2 (Aus DVD). UP1 £12.60 (£13.80 Inc P+P)/UP1USA £10.22 (£11.38 Inc P+P).

Smeelia said:
I meant the UK site: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VOVW90/

There are quite often decent prices on SAVE editions and other lower priced US releases on there and it's handy when they're below the customs limit.

I notice that AllYourMusic will occasionally note "(VAT PAID)" on some of the listings, which I assume mean they're shipping those from their warehouse in Europe rather than that they're actually going to make sure the VAT is paid (though I suppose they presumably paid something to get them into Europe in the first place). I've considered some of the ones above the customs limit based on that, I figure if I take a screenshot of the listing then even if I get charged I should be able to claim a refund from them with it as evidence (or take up the complaint with Amazon if necessary). A few of the sellers tend to post from within Europe anyway so customs could be less of an issue that way.

Ah, I see, thank you.

Oh, Welcome to the NHK is one title where I prefer the UK release to the US. Siren Visual created new PAL masters for their release which look pretty good, while Funimation's release suffers from some egregious colour bleed.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Worth the extra few quid for the MVM one then?

It's swings and roundabouts, especially if you're an audiophile and don't like 4% PAL speedup, while the US release has 5.1 English audio where the UK only has 2.0. Siren use a small white font for subtitles, whereas Funimation ported ADV's big yellow subs (with stylised text captions matching on screen text). I prefer the small white subs personally. I thought the US release's visuals were especially bad though. Those discs suffer from interlacing artefacts, combing, and aliasing. The colour balance is oversaturated, shades appear neon, the contrast is excessive, there is a haze of overexposure that obscures the image. The Siren release has none of that.

I think it's worth the extra quid, although you could always wait for a DOTW and get it for a tenner.

I see, I guess I'll be going for the UK release. I've never noticed speed up on any release before so I'm not sure I'd notice it here. Also, I'd probably watch it dubbed the subs are kind of irrelevant to me.

It's worth noting that the US release will probably expire in the next year or so due to the Funimation ADV deal. I'll eventually pick it up though, same with Utawarerumono.

Todays 12 deals offers are Expelled from Paradise CE and Fuse CE for £21.99 each.

Not a bad price for Expelled from Paradise, but once again can't match Zavvi at £17.99 for Fuse.

As much as I want to get my mitts on Expelled From Paradise, I think I'll pass. I still balk at the thought of paying that kind of money for a feature film, sale price or otherwise.

oh snap, il'' pre-order these now to save some cash!

edit - actually i'll mull this over, my pre-orders are in for £29.99 at amazon, I'm sure they'll drop to £25. Not got the cash at the moment as I've just dropped some big money on two sets :oops:

Damn that FUSE set looks pretty! *goes and preorders at Zavvi*

So how many offers sold out last year?... Gotta say there's been some alright deals (if you don't own any AL releases) but I suppose AL just set the bar too high last year with some knockout value deals while this year they've been undercut by zavvi quite a bit :(

I'm going to buy both of these but I will get Fuse from zavvi in a minute and I'll pick up expelled from paradise when it comes out from Amazon most likely .

I'm tempted to buy these, but looking at Zavvi, it's kind of hard to go through with it. :oops: I'll probably end up buying around release, or at HMV.

Jon O Fun said:
Damn that FUSE set looks pretty! *goes and preorders at Zavvi*

So how many offers sold out last year?... Gotta say there's been some alright deals (if you don't own any AL releases) but I suppose AL just set the bar too high last year with some knockout value deals while this year they've been undercut by zavvi quite a bit :(

I could be wrong, but I've only seem Patema Inverted sell out (I think it was the only one that sold out within a few hours). It's obvious that the value was lost when Andrew didn't draw images to hype up the next sale item. :lol:

Back