UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Aion said:
Surprised no-one is interested in getting the Shinkai box set for £11.99 (+10% off)... The best for both VoaDS and TPPiOAD separately is £11.99.
------

The NGE box set costs £70ish because it is a limited edition box set designed to rip-off people.

Nearly every 26 episode series box set costs £40-50. Going on that, the FMA box set will cost £80-90.

Well I already bought both voads and tppioed for £11.99 each! but that was ages ago, it's a tempting boxset though.
Also bought the NGE box for £64 on release from HMV.co.uk still feel incredibly ripped off bout it though (especially since it's on TV now, could've seen it for free! :x ) but GANTZ should make up for it if we're lucky.

Kino's Journey - 4 volumes - £5 each (click me)

Hope there will be 3 FMA collections, would prefer buying them separately and not paying a huge amount all at once. The only problem with this is that we will probably be charged something silly like £40 for each box set since FMA is insanely popular.

Raz23 said:
The NGE box set costs £70ish because it is a limited edition box set designed to rip-off people.

Nearly every 26 episode series box set costs £40-50. Going on that, the FMA box set will cost £80-90.

Well I already bought both voads and tppioed for £11.99 each! but that was ages ago, it's a tempting boxset though.
Also bought the NGE box for £64 on release from HMV.co.uk still feel incredibly ripped off bout it though (especially since it's on TV now, could've seen it for free! :x ) but GANTZ should make up for it if we're lucky.[/quote]

Guess who spotted the Gantz mis-price originally...and forgot to put his order through QuidCo? :p

There was never any chance of me spending £70 on the same box set (minus the shiny metal tin) you could get for around £20 in the US. No 26 episode series is worth that much, shiny metal tin or not.

Aion said:
Hope there will be 3 FMA collections, would prefer buying them separately and not paying a huge amount all at once. The only problem with this is that we will probably be charged something silly like £40 for each box set since FMA is insanely popular.

Raz23 said:
Also bought the NGE box for £64 on release from HMV.co.uk still feel incredibly ripped off bout it though (especially since it's on TV now, could've seen it for free! :x ) but GANTZ should make up for it if we're lucky.
Aion said:
Guess who spotted the Gantz mis-price originally...and forgot to put his order through QuidCo? :p

There was never any chance of me spending £70 on the same box set (minus the shiny metal tin) you could get for around £20 in the US. No 26 episode series is worth that much, shiny metal tin or not

Well it is slightly different from the US version, 7 discs instead of 6 and more directors cut episodes but still wasn't worth £40 more. I'm most miffed that every version of the DVDs so far have been in 4:3 instead of the full 16:9 image, you can tell you're missing a good part of the image on both sides of the screen when the episode names wont fit on screen. I suppose they left it out so they can release the NGE Ultimate Platinum Limited Edition Ripoff DVD collection in a few years for another £70 or so.

A Tree Of Palme - £9

Heat Guy J: Complete Series 1 Box Set (6 Discs) - £7.99

Aion said:

As already mentioned, the R1 FMA boxsets are $50 RRP, and from seeing how the price varies from US-UK, Revalation price things about half the price of the price in $, meaning each boxset should be £25 here.
The Beck starter set is priced at $45, and here it is £25..

DaNiMe said:
As already mentioned, the R1 FMA boxsets are $50 RRP, and from seeing how the price varies from US-UK, Revalation price things about half the price of the price in $, meaning each boxset should be £25 here.

Haven't purchased much anime, I'm going on the general over-pricing anime I've noticed on my huge Find-DVD watch-list with my £40 guess.

Selling one of the best series around for near the same as in America would be excellent for the UK anime community. :) The only downer is that we'd be still paying around £75 for something not in widescreen...

Aion said:
The only downer is that we'd be still paying around £75 for something not in widescreen...
That never even crossed my mind before and now it has it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'd rather them keep it in it's original aspect ratio than crop it like they did Dragonball Z.

Aion said:
DaNiMe said:

Haven't purchased much anime, I'm going on the general over-pricing anime I've noticed on my huge Find-DVD watch-list with my £40 guess.

Selling one of the best series around for near the same as in America would be excellent for the UK anime community. :) The only downer is that we'd be still paying around £75 for something not in widescreen...

Revalation price their individual volumes exactly the same as Funimation price theirs, which is a big step in the right direction. I don't know what you mean about the widescreen thing. As far as I know, all DVDs are done in anamorphic widescreen. I just looked at one of my UK Texhnolyze DVDs and it's anamorphic widescreen, exactly the same as the US one. Also, working it out, three FMA boxsets would add up to £45 for the series, if bought through DVD Pacific, which would be just under £55 with shipping.

DaNiMe said:
Revalation price their individual volumes exactly the same as Funimation price theirs, which is a big step in the right direction. I don't know what you mean about the widescreen thing. As far as I know, all DVDs are done in anamorphic widescreen. I just looked at one of my UK Texhnolyze DVDs and it's anamorphic widescreen, exactly the same as the US one. Also, working it out, three FMA boxsets would add up to £45 for the series, if bought through DVD Pacific, which would be just under £55 with shipping.

FMA was broadcast in fullscreen and episode 1-51 of the KAA DVD-rips (R1 AFAIK) are in fullscreen.

IF the RRP is going to be £25, we will be getting a 51 episode series for £75 max. But, like with every anime box set, I'll be adding the FMA box sets to my Find-DVD watchlist (when they're added to Find-DVD) and wait for the prices to come down. :D

Edit: Just checked my favourite credit card info leaking company.
DVD Pacific only have one FMA box set - That's not even out yet. We'll be having a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGG wait for the UK box set. :(

Aion said:
DaNiMe said:

FMA was broadcast in fullscreen and episode 1-51 of the KAA DVD-rips (R1 AFAIK) are in fullscreen.

IF the RRP is going to be £25, we will be getting a 51 episode series for £75 max. But, like with every anime box set, I'll be adding the FMA box sets to my Find-DVD watchlist (when they're added to Find-DVD) and wait for the prices to come down. :D

Ah, more proof of Funimations crappy encoding, they cannot even do anamorphic widescreen, what a let down, but that's where we have KAA to make it all better again : D.

DaNiMe said:
Aion said:
DaNiMe said:

Ah, more proof of Funimations crappy encoding, they cannot even do anamorphic widescreen, what a let down, but that's where we have KAA to make it all better again : D.

WTF? Anamorphic widescreen is a technique used to convert widescreen videos to view on fullscreen TVs. If Aion is correct and FMA was animated and broadcast in fullscreen, then the only to make FMA anamorphic widescreen would be to crop it. Texhnolyze, was animated in widescreen, hence the difference.

Noratav said:
WTF? Anamorphic widescreen is a technique used to convert widescreen videos to view on fullscreen TVs. If Aion is correct and FMA was animated broadcast in fullscreen, then the only to make FMA anamorphic widescreen would be to crop it. Texhnolyze, was animated in widescreen, hence the difference.
Yeah, I was a little confused as to what they were talking about.

I didn't actually know what anamorphic widescreen did, I just thought it was something that made the picture widescreen, or something like that. Now I think about the name though, it makes sense. I would have thought all anime were made in widescreen nowerdays, but apparently not.

Dunno about making something that's 4:3 into 16:9 and if it can be done without the WS version looking crappy. What I do know is that the DVD rips of 4:3 Code Geass are 16:9 - The WS version looks great, btw.

And, moving back on topic...

The best price for the Shinkai Collection has gone £14.99, £11.99 (around £10.70 after Quidco) and now £9.89. Now we're talking!

The Shinkai Collection - £9.89

Jayme said:
I completley forgot about those films, may have to pick them up.

I completely and utterly hated Voices of a Distant Star. Is the other one any good?

In my opinion, The Place Promised in Our Early Days is only better than the 25 minute special for the first half, where it worked excellently as a simple three-way friendship story. It all went downhill during the 2nd half when the story changed.

I wouldn't recommend TPPiOE if you hated VoaDS.

Back