things in anime you get sick of seeing

I don't think it's in the way you think. I mean if you have no interest in watching I can spoil the ending because I don't think what I said means what you think it does. OreImo Season 2 Spoilers Basically, the MC had a Harem of about 4 or 5 girls going and he even goes out with one of them for a time. In the end, every one of them has confessed their love to him, apart from his sister (who, for the record a Tsundere, so that's probably why). Anyway, he, one night, after deciding his feels, goes around every girl and shoots them all down, one after the other before confessing to his Sister. She accepts under one condition that is not immediately revealed to the viewer. Anyway, the next scene after they decide to go out with each other, we see MC and his Sister in a wedding chapel, implying they are about to get married, then they kiss. Immediately after this, the condition was revealed to be that they should only be romantic for one day before calling everything off and going back to normal, and they do. So, in the end, those entire last couple of episodes were pointless, the MC doesn't get any girl and all of the other girls are severely heartbroken. It's one of the biggest cop outs I've ever seen in an Anime. Like if you're going to go down that route, at least commit. Apparently the writer of the Light Novel that the show was based on was under pressure from their publisher to not go with an incest ending but still, feels like a huge cop out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I could go into a massive long thing about how I think Oreimo gets way more stick than I think it's due, and how gutting it is that it still hasn't been given a UK release...

But to try and keep it relatively short and sweet - I think if you put the potentially icky subject matter aside for a bit, which I understand can be a take it or leave it factor for a lot of people, I reckon there's actually an incredible astute, intelligent show in there too.

For starters, it's a show that pulls no punches when it comes to letting its characters put each-other through the ringer. I always admire slice of life shows that aren't afraid of showing how f'ked up life can be sometimes and how things can all go wrong. I'd even go as far to say that outside of Genshiken, it's probably one of the best anime out there that turns the camera on otaku lifestyle and goes beyond the obvious tropes to actually look at how being an otaku plays out in terms of relationships/living your life etc.

And the characters - not wishing to go into too many spoilers,

The main character - who ends up becoming friends with his sisters friends, but initially with no romantic motives at all - they're just mates. He's very much just the 'normal dude' for the most part, in a Kyon from Haruhi sort of way.

The sister - who beyond just being a cookie cutter Tsundere, has this really interesting dynamic that plays out with her parents where they allow to dress provocatively (she's a model in her part time, and uses this to fund her otaku lifestyle) only because she's agreed to maintain her good school grades.

The friends - one of which is a goth-loli, but actually just presents a really interesting look at how and why someone might choose to 'present' themselves aesthetically to the world for confidence reasons etc. And the other friend who looks like a total girl-geek on the outside, but has an absolutely brilliant single-episode devoted to her in the second season that completely flips her character on its head.

I probably sound like I'm obsessed with this show, but I just think the way it presents its characters and takes a look at otaku culture is brilliantly done.

When a female character hugs someone, who then loses their head in their breasts...., I mean, I love boobs as much as the next person, but it's just not funny anymore.

Lutga said:
Man, I could go into a massive long thing about how I think Oreimo gets way more stick than I think it's due, and how gutting it is that it still hasn't been given a UK release...

But to try and keep it relatively short and sweet - I think if you put the potentially icky subject matter aside for a bit, which I understand can be a take it or leave it factor for a lot of people, I reckon there's actually an incredible astute, intelligent show in there too.

For starters, it's a show that pulls no punches when it comes to letting its characters put each-other through the ringer. I always admire slice of life shows that aren't afraid of showing how f'ked up life can be sometimes and how things can all go wrong. I'd even go as far to say that outside of Genshiken, it's probably one of the best anime out there that turns the camera on otaku lifestyle and goes beyond the obvious tropes to actually look at how being an otaku plays out in terms of relationships/living your life etc.

And the characters - not wishing to go into too many spoilers,

The main character - who ends up becoming friends with his sisters friends, but initially with no romantic motives at all - they're just mates. He's very much just the 'normal dude' for the most part, in a Kyon from Haruhi sort of way.

The sister - who beyond just being a cookie cutter Tsundere, has this really interesting dynamic that plays out with her parents where they allow to dress provocatively (she's a model in her part time, and uses this to fund her otaku lifestyle) only because she's agreed to maintain her good school grades.

The friends - one of which is a goth-loli, but actually just presents a really interesting look at how and why someone might choose to 'present' themselves aesthetically to the world for confidence reasons etc. And the other friend who looks like a total girl-geek on the outside, but has an absolutely brilliant single-episode devoted to her in the second season that completely flips her character on its head.

I probably sound like I'm obsessed with this show, but I just think the way it presents its characters and takes a look at otaku culture is brilliantly done.

I'd definitely agree with this. It's a pretty good show, just let down by it's ending IMO.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I don't think it's in the way you think. I mean if you have no interest in watching I can spoil the ending because I don't think what I said means what you think it does. OreImo Season 2 Spoilers Basically, the MC had a Harem of about 4 or 5 girls going and he even goes out with one of them for a time. In the end, every one of them has confessed their love to him, apart from his sister (who, for the record a Tsundere, so that's probably why). Anyway, he, one night, after deciding his feels, goes around every girl and shoots them all down, one after the other before confessing to his Sister. She accepts under one condition that is not immediately revealed to the viewer. Anyway, the next scene after they decide to go out with each other, we see MC and his Sister in a wedding chapel, implying they are about to get married, then they kiss. Immediately after this, the condition was revealed to be that they should only be romantic for one day before calling everything off and going back to normal, and they do. So, in the end, those entire last couple of episodes were pointless, the MC doesn't get any girl and all of the other girls are severely heartbroken. It's one of the biggest cop outs I've ever seen in an Anime. Like if you're going to go down that route, at least commit. Apparently the writer of the Light Novel that the show was based on was under pressure from their publisher to not go with an incest ending but still, feels like a huge cop out.

That's exactly the reason why I hated the finale to the series,the way he handled the girls and then end up with what I call a 'Bad End' is just stupid. Don't get me wrong I didn't mind that the chosen girl was Kirino but the result made the entire thing pointless.

It's a shame really since I absolutely loved Season 1 and the Season 1 OVAs, Season 2 before the OVAs were okay.

IncendiaryLemon said:

This sounds even worse than even what I thought. Shocking.

vashdaman said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

This sounds even worse than even what I thought. Shocking.

I know right....the first season had so much potential and covering things from

Outsiders point of view on there hobbies
To
Animators and directors changing things around in the creators work.... which I understand completely..... I have seen alot of anime that has been changed around from its sources material which is frustrating ... I don't mind it sometimes but sometimes the source material is the better route.

The first season was a almost master piece... then the second season and OVA came along...... talk about crap

Not so much something I see in anime, but I DO get very weary of hearing the oft-used turn of phrase in dubs 'Now You're starting to p*ss me off!!!'

I came to the shocking realisation that this seems to happen in nearly every Bang Zoom! dub I've ever heard just recently. I may even turn it into a drinking game.

HdE said:
Not so much something I see in anime, but I DO get very weary of hearing the oft-used turn of phrase in dubs 'Now You're starting to p*ss me off!!!'

I came to the shocking realisation that this seems to happen in nearly every Bang Zoom! dub I've ever heard just recently. I may even turn it into a drinking game.

See also with the number of times Ichigo says 'Bastard' in Bleach.

To be fair though I say "now you're starting to piss me off!!!" and "Bastard" basically every single day. They're classics.

I'm sick of UNfinished work

Like berserk its been around for like 20 years and its not even finished... I just want to know what happens.

Or

HOTD I love this series and the manga hasn't got far from the last time I saw it.

It's like this I hate it when they don't finish a series ...that's what I hate seeing

Yowanda-san said:
I think everyone is suffering on the account of Berserk. You aren't the only one.

No no no

I mean not just berserk.... but other works as well

You know when watching or reading a series and it stop at a certain point because the next chapter hasn't been released .... I have a few in mind...

That's what pisses me off.

You just want to know what happens next but it ether....

Takes ages for the next chapter to come out.

The author dies......... which would be a bummer..... there actually was a series that I was in too (stigmata of the wind)... but the creator of the series died before finishing it..... which is a tragedy.

The author is taking a brake

And other stuff.

I mean come on who here is in to a series and you want to know what's taking so long for the next chapter to come out or you want to know what happens to a character in that series......

I think there are 5 series I'm in too and the next chapters aren't out or hasn't been made in to a second season or thired.

I have to admit it was frustrating to see Hunter x Hunter go on hiatus almost literally right after it returned to Shonen Jump, plus just as it was getting to what looked like a really good bit.

Things In anime I'm sick of seeing,

High school settings, anime has a huge adult following it would be nice to see a few more where people go
To work instead of school,

One that frustrates me as an artist:

There's an aaaaaawful lot of beds in anime that are twice the length of the human body. It's crazy!

I don't think it's been mentioned but I might have missed it. Something that bothers me is when a show does a "suddenly, drama" turn in the last two to three episodes. It's very frustrating when the show sets aside the elements that made it entertaining just to have some dramatic build up to the conclusion. It's especially bad in comedies, harem shows and the like where drama has either been minor or non-existent previously. To be fair, most shows that do it maybe aren't so great to begin with but there are quite a few good shows that basically waste an episode and a half this way. I think the problem is when the tension feels "false" and the show seems to be just trying to fill in time on the way to it's conclusion.

I suppose there are always exceptions though, I mean Cowboy Bebop technically does it and it obviously worked quite well there (though if I'm honest, I prefer the episodic stuff in Cowboy Bebop but I think I'm in a minority). That said, it's not like Cowboy Bebop didn't have drama before and it doesn't feel as sudden so I'm not sure it counts.

On the subject of Nice/Normal girls not getting enough attention, I think that a lot of characters of all types are left without sufficient attention simply because of the limits of any given show. Since Nice/Normal characters tend to be quite likeable it's more likely that you'll want to see more of them but most shows tend to only focus on a small group of characters. Maybe the other issue is that a character that isn't likely to be a main focus of the show but needs to be likeable is best achieved by making them a Nice/Normal type.

Semi-related, does Minorin from Toradora! count as normal? She seems to be considered kind of odd in the show and she rates pretty high on my "cool due to weirdness" chart (or would if that was a thing). She's certainly nice though and there are some pretty great moments where it's shown how much of a struggle being nice can be. It could be that my tendency to read between the lines (sometimes for things that aren't there) makes Minorin seem like a better character than the show actually demonstrates.

With regard to harem protagonists, I think they either have to be characters in their own right or that they should just be removed altogether. It seems to me that nine out of ten harems would get along as well or better if they didn't have a pointless protagonist getting in the way. It's not like they really serve a purpose, you could still have all the fanservice and character development without them.

Back