things in anime you get sick of seeing

Animefreak17

Godhand
We all have our personal opinions about alot of things and there are loads of anime fans that likes seeing anything that has anything to do with Japan in there anime but I'm going to tell you .....And hopefully you guys can tell me.......What I get sick of seeing in anime all the time.

1 I'm sick of seeing the same bloody message about friendship...be good to your friends...look out for your friends...work as a team And so on and so forth...yea we get it friends are good bla bla bla and I see this in loads of anime ......so much so that they made me not to want any friends......It's like there trying to say...It's a matter of life and death or something if you don't have any.

2 I'm sick of those damn school settings anime......don't get me wrong I have a few anime that are my favourites that takes place in school..but it's just the same settings over and over again like Japan doesn't have any imagination (which isn't true because iv seen loads of anime that doesn't place in school ...

Like one piece
Trigun
Fate zero
Garden of sinners
monster

Just seeing the same settings just gets tiresome.

3 the same setting can be said the same for Japan .....Ok I know there are loads that do this and I know the whole of anime is in Japan and yes I know there are loads of anime that doesn't take place in Japan....bit I like to see more of imagination or takes place in another country like monster was in Germany or black butler took place in Britain and so on....

But I guess I can't be picky about that.

4 those hot spring/ festival / school festival episodes.....when I watched welcome to the new world there was a festival and even after a 1000 years have past they still had kimonos and stands ....i mean come on everything changes and they have the exactly the same stands you see in other animeand the sake can be said for Tue school festival and such.

5 Japanese references .......Ok I have No problem with this if it's a comedy or something but putting a Japanese reference like ...well anything about Japan in a anime that has a good story in it kinda spoils the anime a bit.........It's like the animators are trying to remind you that this anime was made in Japan........WE ALL KNOW IT WAS MADE IN JAPAN FOR GOD SAKE.

That's what I got for now il make a thread that with have what I love about anime next time

All I ask is a good story without th typical cliches that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you've maybe watched too much Anime and could do with a break or maybe cutting back a little

1. I can't really say I see power of friendship crammed down my throat with every show, certain genres have it more than others ofc and I guess a lot of shows will have a moment when a character realises they'd be better off working together than solo.

2. I think School Settings have become popular because they are a) familiar to the audience and b) somewhat versatile. There's a reason for the various characters to gather, there's an established tier system of power/authority, it establishes a lot about the world the show is set in - which is either an excellent tool to get on with the interesting stuff or lazy world building.

3/4/5 - It's made in Japan - unless there's a good reason to set it elsewhere why not set it at home? and that means references sooner or later to Japan, even if we are in the far future. A lot of shows do go for the hot spring/pool/festival/school festival/beach episode to provide a bit of a break in the action and to add fanservice (depending on show type). School Festivals to me feel like a bit of drag recently, it's like a tick box event that just happens, the best shows weave in some hefty plot development into the narrative while in others it's just a filler episode.

I think this is a difficult one to answer as many of the most annoying/overused anime tropes are also some of the funniest - it's kind of a love/hate relationship, and when they're done well, they can actually add a lot to a show. But some off the top of my head that seem particularly prevalent these days:

1) Little sister/cousin - oh we're not actually related so it's ok!

2) Female character has a dark past that usually involves some kind of abuse.

3) Utterly clueless male lead - obviously this is the butt of the jokes in harem shows, but if five hot lovelies are literally offering themselves up to him, at least come up with some believable reason why he doesn't realise it.

I could come up with way more, but most would probably fall under the category of harem shows, which are so trope based it's understandable.

The fifth one is a bit silly, AF :)

I don't like school settings so I avoid shows which use them unless there's some other aspect I can't resist. I hated school in the first place and can't take problems there seriously. I also now run a mile from all little sister plots thanks to the ridiculous abuse of the gag in the last few years. It's got to the point that the moment a younger sibling appears in a harem title I drop the show entirely with no questions asked because every possible little sister scenario out there has now been done to death.

R

Rosencrantz........just go with it it's only a thread

Lutga....oh I know the same is like in bunny drop in the manga after the time skip.

Iv seen male and female characters with dark pasts I haven't seen that many to be honest.

BLOODY HELL .....how could I forget this the clueless male lead.....-_- yea I know what you mean

She loves you you stupid idiot get a freaking clue.

RUI.......NO NO iv seen this sort of thing in

black butler.....the cup of tea and Japanese garden
Trigun.......letter of challenge
Gurren lagann....hot springs
Soul eater....black star and his partner
Baccono......the warlord helmet
Lupin the 3rd goemon....need I say more

There is a fair few out there rui ...it might be a little silly but their there.

I hear you about the school settings......

I mean instead of tackling problems in school they ether

Have a boy that comes across a power or someone that has powers and his caught in the middle of it.

A bunch of friends sitting around eating cake and tea and looking moe cute.

Ect

Dont get me wrong there is a fair fee anime that are my favourite that takes place in school..

Ouran high school
Higarashi........my absolute favourite.
Lucky star.......yeah this series is what I hate about school settings but this is one of the exceptions.
Dance in the vampire bund.....not really an high school anime but it has its moments in high school but I can let it slide since I'm a fan of this series

Ok make a new thread that will focus on refreshing anime soon

Moe money, moe problems. (I actually love moe, so I can't really talk)

If I had a pound for every shower scene in anime titles, I'd be pretty rich by this point.

Also, for every 'onee-chan' (even when the characters aren't actually related)

Actually, I just remembered - one thing that always makes me crack up is when you have an anime spit out some of the corniest dialogue ever - even the greats like Evangelion (though you could argue that this scene is brilliant too)

Shinji: "Ayanami! Are you all right?! Ayanami!"
Shinji: (starting to cry) "Don't ever say that, don't say that you have nothing else, just don't say that. And don't say goodbye when you leave on a mission, it's just too sad."
Rei: "Why are you crying?...I'm very sorry, but I don't know how to express myself in situations like this."
Shinji: "Why don't you just try smiling?"

To all the Rei Ayanami clones in all the various anime out there (the quiet, mysterious girl trope) - 'Why don't you just try smiling?'

Thankfully there's only ever one gripe I've had so far.

The OTP's some animes decide on. Why do they make powerful female figures suddenly turn all gushy when falling for the main guy.

Is This A Zombie? Season 1 teased around it, and I disliked.
Freezing Season 1 did it a bit and it grated.
High School DxD Season 1 shoved it right in at the end and I despised it!

High School of The Dead, I hate how Rei instantly thought he'd be hers.

I like the school settings but they make me sad. I wish I was young again and born in either Japan or the USA. I never got to enjoy my school years until year 11. I wish we have after school clubs like in K-On and the festivals like in Is This A Zombie? etc.

-Danielle- said:
Thankfully there's only ever one gripe I've had so far.

The OTP's some animes decide on. Why do they make powerful female figures suddenly turn all gushy when falling for the main guy.

Is This A Zombie? Season 1 teased around it, and I disliked.
Freezing Season 1 did it a bit and it grated.
High School DxD Season 1 shoved it right in at the end and I despised it!

I like the school settings but they make me sad. I wish I was young again and born in either Japan or the USA. I never got to enjoy my school years until year 11. I wish we have after school clubs like in K-On and the festivals like in Is This A Zombie? etc.

You was bullied too?...poor thing

I was only bullied in years 8 & 9 by one girl in my English class. Whenever I wasn't in a class with her it was fine. But schools here are so boring with no events and after school classes. I think they're just not big enough.

I only realised this year (three years after I graduated) that my Uni had a Genshiken style anime-society - wish I had known at the time!

That said, the society I was part of (the student newspaper) was a little like that, so I suppose I got a little taste of that sort of vibe.

- There's only so many times I can handle you explaining how your weapon works before you use it (Looking at you Akame Ga Kill) .. Just generic shonen type things as a whole bug me nowadays, I think its my age.

-Danielle- said:

I'm with you there. I despised that character, good god ..she grated me.

animefreak17 said:
RUI.......NO NO iv seen this sort of thing in

black butler.....the cup of tea and Japanese garden
Trigun.......letter of challenge
Gurren lagann....hot springs
Soul eater....black star and his partner
Baccono......the warlord helmet
Lupin the 3rd goemon....need I say more

There is a fair few out there rui ...it might be a little silly but their there.

Yeah but AF, to a Japanese person those things aren't 'Japanese', they're just normal. While the Black Butler references to Japan are parody and Goemon is an obvious tribute to make Lupin more worldly, things like challenge letters, hot springs and warrior regalia are all what Japanese people consider normal everyday content rather than Japanese references. My JP friends sometimes have a really good idea of how people outside the country live and sometimes they're completely mistaken - for example, one once asked me "Since you don't have rice in England, do you eat potatoes with every meal?". She was terribly confused when I explained we didn't even have potatoes at one point...

Another friend was amazed that we don't have kotatsu at all here. How do we cope with winter?! Yet in other cases they're shocked when we do something that's normal to them too, having assumed that we have some weird foreign way of doing it and that their way is somehow special and unique.

While some Japanese people will realise that Brits don't visit hot springs on a regular basis, I guarantee that many people will assume that everyone overseas defaults to the same way of life they do unless they see evidence to the contrary. We make the same assumptions too :)

Anyway, I agree that some really good shows can make the school setting work, especially if the school setting is actually part of the plot and not just an excuse to copy/paste the same generic scenario between shows. It's just that most suck and shows about adults tend to have more variety.

R

- Literature Clubs.
I'm not really bothered by the number of series' that have a high school setting, but why is it that nine times out of ten, the "club we're a part of despite not actually doing anything" is a literature club? Do mathematicians just not goof off or something?
At least K-ON! used the Light Music Club instead.

- Clueless Harem Protagonists.
Okay, this is more of a love-hate thing because I admittedly love those dumb shows, but would it be too much to have a series where the lead guy is fully (or at least partially) knowledgeable of the situations around him; either causing colossal headaches or making him into a complete jerk.
Although I haven't seen it, I think School Days rather infamously actually did something like that? Although of course, it could definitely be done in a far tamer light than that series.

- Male Historical Figures Being Turned Into Cute Girls.
Do I really need to explain this? Especially when it's Oda Nobunaga. I swear there's been more than half a dozen "Oda Nobunaga is a girl!" series' in the past few years.

- Loli/Shota.
The existence of a loli/shota character in a series won't be instant grounds for me dropping it, but I do find their existence uncomfortable (especially if it's a fanservice driven series, because obvious reasons. I just have to blank them out and think of the off-age characters instead :p).

- Really Bad Engrish.
Well, this isn't really "seeing" but "hearing".
I appreciate that Japan doesn't have that many native English speakers working in the country, so being able to feature a non-butchered recital of English-language words might be difficult. However, a bad case of Engrish can ruin a show for me. My memories of Shakugan no Shana and Itazura na Kiss are still clouded by the horrible reading of Romeo & Juliet and the dire level of English encountered during the Hawaii honeymoon (respectively).

Also, re. Loli characters, see also 'Loli Vampire' - why are vampires always Loli-girls these days? It's 'Oh yeah, she looks young, but she's really thousands of years old so it's ok to fancy her!' - Anyone that's seen Rin: Daughters of Mnenosyne will know the logical extreme this can be taken to, and it's really pretty icky.

With the Clueless Harem protagonist, as far as I can remember, Aesthetica of a Rogue at least had a character that seemed more 'up for it', and also toyed with it by having a gay female character that was even more of a lech than the male lead.

Lutga said:
Also, re. Loli characters, see also 'Loli Vampire' - why are vampires always Loli-girls these days? It's 'Oh yeah, she looks young, but she's really thousands of years old so it's ok to fancy her!' - Anyone that's seen Rin: Daughters of Mnenosyne will know the logical extreme this can be taken to, and it's really pretty icky.
I remember watching Dance in the Vampire Bund and watching the scene where Mina Tepes had the sunscreen rubbed on her body.
><

With the Clueless Harem protagonist, as far as I can remember, Aesthetica of a Rogue at least had a character that seemed more 'up for it', and also toyed with it by having a gay female character that was even more of a lech than the male lead.
I admittedly haven't seen that series either; although from what I remember, it wasn't received very favourably here?

Joshawott said:
Lutga said:
I remember watching Dance in the Vampire Bund and watching the scene where Mina Tepes had the sunscreen rubbed on her body.
><

I admittedly haven't seen that series either; although from what I remember, it wasn't received very favourably here?

It's not amazing, but it's probably one of the more entertaining examples of the harem genre - I'd probably give it a 7.5. It's pretty racy in places too - if that's your thing, and certainly plays with the conventions of the genre more than most shows of its kind.

Danielle.....I was always bullied

Primary school was fun

High school will always haunt me ...in fact I was traumatized I was afraid to go to school.

Not only in school but collage too

Dudley collage for the first year

Then the glass house collage which was the best place iv ever been ffor education and everyone was so damn nice there

Then I went to the princes trust which was where the young kids who have broke the law go.......I was like wait what am I doing here I haven't broke any laws.....but then again it is a place of learning

Then I went to Dudley collage again to and I didn't get along with anyone in carpentry
Then I did animal care at the same place for a while...which wasn't as bad as high school but the bastards was still there.

ABOUT REI I like her more then psycho .....dont ask me why I don't like psycho I just don't.....maybe it's the fact that I'm a childhood friend supporter and I feel for her because of what happened to her with her and her father.

Rui.......but isnt everyday things in Japan considered a Japanese reference?

But I agree just because we live in England doesn't mean we eat fish and chips all the time or we have bad teeth so yeah I get what your saying.

And yes your right I have seen that copy and paste in some shows but there are some unique ones too

Lutga said:
Joshawott said:
Lutga said:
><

It's not amazing, but it's probably one of the more entertaining examples of the harem genre - I'd probably give it a 7.5. It's pretty racy in places too - if that's your thing, and certainly plays with the conventions of the genre more than most shows of its kind.

I liked dance in the vampire bund.............. NOT because it has a loli charecter in it but how the story is in it and I find it amazing how society would view the vampires if they did come in peace

Back