things in anime you get sick of seeing

One thing that definitely annoys me:

Mispronunciation of names in English dubs.

Remember Cardcaptor Sakoora?

Or maybe Asoona from Negima?

Or how about Ayato Nay-oy from Angel Beats.

Lutga said:

Arucard is the one I always remember but I think that was the subtitles.

serpantino said:
Lutga said:

Arucard is the one I always remember but I think that was the subtitles.

See also Zolo/Zoro from One Piece.

That's a large part of the reason why I dislike most dubs. Even the Tiger and Bunny dub, which I do like, the pronunciation of Kotetsu grates on me. It's not like Japanese is particularly difficult to pronounce either.

Haha, Cardcaptor Sakura, I'd totally forgotten about that. I remember being really irritated by the pronunciation the few times I watched it.

KimmyKins83 said:
I never ever, EVER watch dubbed anime, it's like total blasphemy nowadays! :p

Ok ok il admit that some anime should be left in sub but I think watching them in dub is better cause I like to watch the whole screen not just the bottom half.

Emma should get a English / British dub
Black butler should get a English/ British dub
Trigun is good as it's dub
Hellsing
Monster

I know not all of them aren't masterpieces when it's in dub but it's thanks to dubbed anime we got in to them in the first place.

Garden of sinners should be left alone and stay subbed tho.

Most people don't like higarashi in dub but I think it adds charm to the series with its fluffness.

It depends really

animefreak17 said:
Ok ok il admit that some anime should be left in sub but I think watching them in dub is better cause I like to watch the whole screen not just the bottom half.

Then you just need to learn to read mega-quickly or pick up some Japanese ;D

animefreak17 said:
I know not all of them aren't masterpieces when it's in dub but it's thanks to dubbed anime we got in to them in the first place.

In my case I only really got into anime when I saw some undubbed and realised it was actually the bad dubbing which was putting me off at the beginning. I couldn't work out why these badass cartoons I wanted to get into were such hard going, then I saw some Urusei Yatsura subbed and realised it was a million times more enjoyable than the newer, shinier stuff I'd been watching on Sci-fi and VHS up until that point.

Of course, if people like dubs there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and it's true that dubs of shows like Pokemon, Dragonball Z and the Ghibli films in particular have really spread the word for decades. I personally find them universally unwatchable and the same goes for live action films (and foreign language dubs of English language shows); it's not just an anime thing for me.

R

Personally I'd love to see a dub of Garden of Sinners/Monogatari - even if it ended up being crap, I'd just love to see someone take on the challenge.

animefreak17, I have the same problem, where I end up concentrating on the bottom of the screen when watching something with subs. It's not a big problem but I always feel like I'm not appreciating the visuals as much as I could be. Maybe I just need more practice.

Interestingly, I don't feel like it's as much of a problem with live action films, I would never watch one of those dubbed. The way I see it is that live action films obviously have a 'native' language, the one the cast uses, but evey anime is dubbed regardless of which language it was dubbed in first. That's maybe a flawed perspective though.

Just Passing Through said:
Joshawott said:
I admittedly haven't seen that many ridiculous nosebleeds in the last few years and when I do, they're more subdued and not as over-the-top as they used to be. These days it seems to be more about stupid expressions, gawking and drooling than flying over backwards due to a stream of blood.

Best nosebleed ever was Dragon Ball, with Goku fighting the invisible man. Bulma's assets were revealed to Roshi, the resultant nosebleed spray intense enough to cover the invisible man, making him visible to be pummelled.
That sounds like it deserves to be preserved in a museum.

Unit-00 said:
animefreak17, I have the same problem, where I end up concentrating on the bottom of the screen when watching something with subs. It's not a big problem but I always feel like I'm not appreciating the visuals as much as I could be. Maybe I just need more practice.

Interestingly, I don't feel like it's as much of a problem with live action films, I would never watch one of those dubbed. The way I see it is that live action films obviously have a 'native' language, the one the cast uses, but evey anime is dubbed regardless of which language it was dubbed in first. That's maybe a flawed perspective though.
It's all about being a fast reader. Read line of subtitles in a second then look back at screen. Follow what they are saying as they say it also.

Unit-00......anime with beautiful visuals and grand story telling and anime that need a dub for you to understand it more clearly is needed....like death note you need the dub to fully understand what exactly is going on........well that's me anyways ...but anime like the copy and paste anime we see all the time need to stay sub and garden of sinners should stay sub because I believe a dub would ruin it

Rui....I might need to practice a little more reading quicker and iv tried to pick up on the Japanese but when a sub says something, the words don't match up with the sub....And it sometimes confuses me.

So I guess in your case there's an exception

black1blade said:
Unit-00 said:

It's all about being a fast reader. Read line of subtitles in a second then look back at screen. Follow what they are saying as they say it also.

With garden of sinners the animation is just so gorgeous that I want to watch it in dub so that way I can .....

1 concentrate on what there trying to say
2 appreciate the visuals while there talking

Imagine if the count of Monte cristo was in sub only and and only saw the bottom of the screen all the way though....it would be a waste

Unit-00 said:

Exactly what I would have said :D

But please let's not get into a sub vs Dub debate. Watch it how you want and enjoy anime :p

Lutga said:
Personally I'd love to see a dub of Garden of Sinners/Monogatari - even if it ended up being crap, I'd just love to see someone take on the challenge.

I don't see why GoS would be a problem, easy to dub, maybe not easy to please everyone though.

With Monogatari on the other hand, how do you even begin to translate some of the word play that goes on?

To write a dub for Monogatari you would have to change so much of the script that it wouldn't really be Monogatari anymore.

I always use the subtitles because 99% of english dubs are terrible. Whenever I watch a trailer on Manga's youtube channel it's always dubbed and the quality of the voice acting is cringeworthy. If I was unable to use the subtitles for whatever reason then I would just stop watching anime, that's how much I dislike dubs.

Back