things in anime you get sick of seeing

Lutga said:
Something that was on my mind recently...

It really annoys me how the 'nice' / 'normal' girl in anime shows pretty much always gets a really bum deal. Minori in Toradora, anyone?

I understand that anime shows largely exist to play to tropes, and so the trope girls, such as the Tsundere will always get more attention lavished on them, and the super-moe girl will usually be the one that 'wins', but what happened to nice and normal winning the day?

A lot of the time I think that's probably because they're the least interesting, at least in my opinion. As you said, Anime plays off of troupes a lot, so in comparison to a lot of big character types, people who are just normal just aren't really as interesting a lot of the time. To go back to your example I easily thought that Minori, despite how much I liked her, did feel like the least interesting character, although this could be seen as a side effect of her getting comparatively little back story in comparison to Taiga and Ami. I'm probably a bad person to be discussing this if I'm being completely honest, I've only seen 3 or 4 shows you could class as Romance. I've been meaning to watch more actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sick of seeing the male lead walk into a bathroom or any other room and catching a girl in a compromising situation and then getting beat up for it and the guy takes the blame for it and usually accepts that it's his fault. It's her fault for not locking the door, do Japanese people not lock their bathroom doors when they go in, that's just stupid.

Agree with the useless harem lead who avoids the issue with his girls, it's just not believable, we're supposed to project ourselves onto him, I get it but he sure as hell doesn't act like me or any guy I know. Ignoring or running away from the girls is the last thing I would have done, especially when your a teenager.

Also, if we're talking unbeilavable situations - the famous fall hand boob slip, a'la Shinji and Rei - I refuse to believe this has ever happened in real life? I mean, come on.

How about over-the-top character-specific catchphrases?
I'm not talking about Natsu's "I'm all fired up" quote from Fairy Tail, or Naruto's "Believe it!" I'm talking about characters who would use a certain word in almost every sentence that they speak.
I.e.
"I'm gonna beat you up, Boom! You can't escape my wrath, Boom!"
or
"They went that way.... Probably. Although I don't think you can catch up to them... Probably."
Or quite simply...
"Chapapapapa..."

29 year old female teachers complaining about turning 30 and not being married/having a boyfriend - Every time the teacher is even slightly relevant they seem to fall into this category

Luckily I've become quite good at filtering out shows that have repetitive/irritating stereotypes in them now. Before they attributed to my burnout of the hobby.
The Anichart's help me knock these on the head before I suffer through them.
Keywords that automatically knock a show off the to watch list:
School Club / Loser Student
Boobs / Endowed
Panties
Little sister
Lolita

There are very, VERY few exceptions to where I will watch a show with these traits in. (IE: Index, Haruhi)

I think that not watching a show just because of a tag is pretty stupid IMO. I mean I get some of them but, for example, Lolita would probably get rid of something Like Monogatari which is an amazing series but does have what you would tag as Lolis in it. That small aspect of the show doesn't take away from the whole. Same goes for Little Sister, there is a chance that it could only be a small aspect of the show.

Maybe it's just because I'm fairly new-ish to anime (I've seen <100 shows) so I'm not really sick of anything yet but I'd never let tags or something put me off a show, I'd rather watch a few episodes before deciding if I want to watch all of it.

One thing I definitely tire of is the endless Rei Ayanami clones > http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... yanamiExpy

It just seems, I dunno, lazy? I'm yet to see one, with the possible exception of Nagato, that even comes close to what Rei represents as a character.

Create a shy, quiet, mysterious girl, by all means - but I dunno, just at least try to do something a little different with her? That's why I kind of enjoyed the likes of Nina in Code Geass, because she was so f**ked up, and took the shy girl trope to new, messed-up places.

Last edited by a moderator:
IncendiaryLemon said:
I think that not watching a show just because of a tag is pretty stupid IMO. I mean I get some of them but, for example, Lolita would probably get rid of something Like Monogatari which is an amazing series but does have what you would tag as Lolis in it. That small aspect of the show doesn't take away from the whole. Same goes for Little Sister, there is a chance that it could only be a small aspect of the show.

Maybe it's just because I'm fairly new-ish to anime (I've seen <100 shows) so I'm not really sick of anything yet but I'd never let tags or something put me off a show, I'd rather watch a few episodes before deciding if I want to watch all of it.

Ah, see I've been watching anime since the mid 90's and have gone through the period of giving every show the benefit of the doubt. That resulted in me giving up on anime for a good year. I've seen enough shows with Lolita, little sisters, etc. to know they are not for me. There needs to be something substantial in the series for me to give it a shot, and I have very rarely ever found ones that I enjoy. I really do not enjoy those character types. I am in a huge minority, but Monogatari is something I found tremendously boring. The characters did not resonate with me.

The tags are more in detail than I list. IE: "My little sister is too cute." That's essentially what I mean. It frequently comes down to genre of the show.

Also, I don't think it's fair to say I'm stupid for using tags. It's something that has worked for me, it just doesn't work for you is all. Perhaps age is a factor too. Unless I'm totally wrong and we're around the same age, then it's varying of interest. :)

Fair enough I guess. Also, I wasn't saying your were stupid, I just thought the concept was a bit too limiting. Also, if you've been watching Anime since the 90's, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're quite a bit older than 17 :p

Hahaha I have to admit that whenever I see a 'little sister' these days I run a mile. I have nothing against actual characters who also happen to be female younger siblings of the lead, but the lazy writing and hyper-fetishisation of something that wasn't even all that interesting in the first place is well past my tolerance limit at the moment. Bring on something new, please!

R

Somehow, I seem to be blissfully ignorant of this "little sister" trend I've heard mentioned on here quite a few times. What actually is it? I mean, I can conjure up a worst case scenario...but that surely can't have become the huge mainstream anime trend that people here are talking about!??

edit: ah, just read AF's post and he confirmed it is the worst case scenario :cry: why on earth is that so popular with anime fans? baffling.

It's pretty much characters being sexually attracted to their younger sisters, so yeah...your worst case scenario was probably correct.

Well, I guess Scarface had the "little sister" thing in it too, and that was still a good film...

I can imagine the average cheap and dirty anime not handling the concept as well as Scarface though...

Back