The Visual Novel Thread

I absolutely loved Root Letter.

It wasnt just a lot of reading with hardly any decisions and stuff to do which is great and the kind I prefer.
I couldn’t finish Hakuoki because it was mainly reading and I’m worried Steins Gate and 0 as well as Psycho Pass Mandatory Happiness will be similar.

Can anyone advise?

Also, I think i’d like Chaos Child. Has anyone played it?

Muv-Luv, Muv-Luv Unlimited and Muv-Luv Alternative will be given a retail and digital release on the PlayStation Vita by publisher PQube on behalf of ixtl and the Muv-Luv team. PQube will also be helping them with the Kickstarter to let folks receive their special edition sets when they are made available later in the year.

Rice Digital will also be offering collector's editions for the Vita games. Due to Japan's regulations on game consoles/portables, the Muv-Luv trilogy will be the D rated versions (17+) and not the Eroge version (18+).

I thought the Vita was on its way out now? I know Sony haven't got a successor planned but I didn't realise they were doing anything else with it.
Believe it or not the Vita is like a zombie. It's still alive even though it's dead.

I'm slowly updating the Vita thread but there are some big titles coming to Vita this year including Persona 3/5 Dancing games, Catherine, Utawarerumono, Secret of Mana and many more. The platform itself has at least 2 years max left in its lifespan, same for the 3DS.

CLANNAD's upcoming PlayStation 4 release will also have English text available. I believe this is the first visual novel to offer English support on a Japanese only release.

The PS4 version is based on the PS3 master with 1080p HD resolution and 5.1ch Surround Sound. It is currently set for June 2018 and is available to pre-order on Amazon Japan and Play Asia.

Horror visual novel from NIS called Shin Hayarigami received a stealth release for the west on smartphones. The title was renamed Urban Legend Shin Hayarigami: The Blind Man. It's available for £2.99.

The game was released in Japan for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita with a rare rating of CERO Z for strong bloody violence.

Steins;Gate is excellent, although I will say that the anime did a very good job of adapting it, to the extent that it's only really worth playing if you want to experience it again. S;G0 I haven't actually played to be honest, but if there's a bundle it'd be worth checking out.

They've got the whole sending texts mechanic which is a little unusual for VNs, but they are excellent examples of the genre.

So they're good enough for first time players of VNs? :)
Is the gameplay just clicking? (sorry, really new to all this lol).
I'd say so. And yeah. I mean, you can set them to auto-scroll, but for the most part it's just clicking.

Depending on the VN they tend to have choices you make along the way or various other mechanics. Steins;Gate in particular has one where sending text messages at key points can affect which ending you see.

I like Steins;Gate a lot, but (and I've found this with Chaos;Head too), I think it's not that obvious how the choices you're making are actually affecting the route you're taking through the game. My experience with VN games isn't that extensive, but generally with the other ones I've played, it felt easier to understand what the choice you're making was going to affect - Steins;Gate can be a bit obscure in that regard.

Even without comparing it to the anime, I also thought the early part of the game was quite long winded. Not as much as Fate right enough, but it takes a good number of hours before the story really starts in earnest, and there's a fair amount of infodumpy lecturing from Kurisu to get through too.

S;G0 VN is so so so much better than the anime. Am the only person who does love the start of the anime and VN then it gets all science-y and great. Then again I do love the FSN prologue too ep 0 and Rins chapter are amazing as is Day 1.

How are the Zero Escape games? - I see that they are on sale on Steam for an all time lowest price at €6.67 for the trilogy.

EDIT: also how is Chaos;Child lol.
Zero Escape: 999 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward are really interesting visual novels with a ton of endings that are canonical in their own unique way especially with the latter. Both are highly recommended for everyone to check out. I have yet to watch Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma but I have heard it's not as good as the other two.

Chaos;Child I have yet to play but it's supposed to be pretty interesting especially if you have knowledge of Chaos;Head.

I absolutely love 999. It's one of my favourite games ever. An excellent story and some good puzzles too. I think it would have been fine without sequels TBH.

VLR is OK, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 999. It felt very pretentious and bloated. Still good, but I wouldn't call it great.

I've struggled getting into ZTD. It's ugly, the voice acting is a step below the other games and the story hasn't interested me at all yet. Hopefully that will change as I get further along.

999 is just so good though.

The Nintendo Switch version for If My Heart Had Wings will have an improved translation and everything omitted from the previous English release returning, according to Eastasiasoft who is offering an Asian English physical release.

For those wondering the previous English release was censored and had cut content more than the usual All-Ages approach to reach a T rating.

I absolutely love 999. It's one of my favourite games ever. An excellent story and some good puzzles too. I think it would have been fine without sequels TBH.

VLR is OK, but I didn't enjoy it as much as 999. It felt very pretentious and bloated. Still good, but I wouldn't call it great.

I've struggled getting into ZTD. It's ugly, the voice acting is a step below the other games and the story hasn't interested me at all yet. Hopefully that will change as I get further along.

999 is just so good though.
I have bad memories of VLR. Played it on 3DS and I almost got the final ending when... Poof save data corrupted. :(

is there some sort of dedicated and updated list for the Switch at all? trying to see what's available and want to see if this contains english at all
your best bet is to use filters on vndb

I looked at this one, no plans for switch in english right now I'm afraid. It is on PC in English.
I have bad memories of VLR. Played it on 3DS and I almost got the final ending when... Poof save data corrupted. :(
noooooo

your last reward

you should watch end on yt and then play the third one

Back