The UK DVD and BD Locked Subtitles Thread

An update:
Black Clover Season 2 Parts 1 to 3 BD
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl BD
Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 BD
Tokyo Ghoul:re Part 2 BD
Twin Star Exorcists Parts 3 and 4 BD
Wise Man's Grandchild BD

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I feel it is more appropriate than starting a new one.

I just tested The Dragon Dentist and can confirm that both the DVD and Blu-ray have locked subtitles.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows if the subs for Golden Kamuy on either DVD or Blu-ray are locked or not?

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I feel it is more appropriate than starting a new one.

I just tested The Dragon Dentist and can confirm that both the DVD and Blu-ray have locked subtitles.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows if the subs for Golden Kamuy on either DVD or Blu-ray are locked or not?
I've got Golden Kamuy season 1+2. UK. DVD.
The main menu offers choice of language then choice of subtitles on or off.
Regardless of whether I choose Japanese with subtitles on or off, I can then switch them on or off.

I've got Golden Kamuy season 1+2. UK. DVD.
The main menu offers choice of language then choice of subtitles on or off.
Regardless of whether I choose Japanese with subtitles on or off, I can then switch them on or off.
Fantastic, thanks for letting me know.

I've been meaning to update the thread for a long time. I'm planning on changing the format a bit, and it will be updated soon. It could take me a while, but I'll get there.
Brilliant; this thread is really useful for people like me who like to watch shows dubbed with english subtitles.

I may have some more contributions to the list in future but I personally like to test them just before posting just to be sure.

Some more to add.

The good news
Summer days with Coo DVD and Blu-ray Collectors edition
Children of the sea DVD and Blu-ray Collectors edition
Ride your wave DVD and Blu-ray Collectors edition

have Unlocked Subs, it seems like GKids authored releases tend to be ok in this regard and even sometimes offer languages or subtitles besides English and Japanese

The bad news
One Piece Collection 24 disc 3 and 4 DVD have locked subs
This one annoys me to no end, given how much I like this franchise, for this reason I yet to buy any of the later sets as they likely have locked subs as well, I recall reading a review on myReviewer mentioning that this is also the case for collection 25 but I haven't got that one myself so I can only go by what they said.
The sets after this one are very likely locked as well but really I hope I'm wrong about that as this issue is the thing that's putting me off buying them.

Last edited:
I've refreshed the main posts of my locked subtitles thread. I will now only list the title and the distributor. Speaking of distributors, all Funimation UK titles released by Anime Limited will be listed as "Anime Limited" to avoid confusion with the Manga/Funimation rename. And in regards to the rename, if a title (or the first part of a title) was released as Manga (with later parts under a rename (e.g. Funimation, Crunchyroll)), it will be listed as Manga. An exception will be made if the title was first released with optional subtitles under an earlier name, but the subtitles became locked after a rename (e.g. One Piece was first released by Manga, but the subtitles became locked after Manga was renamed to Funimation, so they'll be listed as "Funimation UK").

For my christmas I have tested some of the mystery box titles so here goes.

On the naughty list
My-Hime
(Update: I've found some time to test the remaining disks and, as predicted, the subs are locked there as well)

On the (somewhat) naughty list
Code Geass Resurrection
; the blu-ray has locked subs but the dvd is fine.

On the nice list
El-Hazard's
subs can be toggled during playback.
Boogiepop's subs can be toggled during playback.
Josee's subs can be both toggled in the menu and during playback.

All titles listed are the collectors ed sets.

I haven't tested the exact version of the other titles I got in the box but I did watch the standard edition for Promare a while back and it was fine, being a GKids authored disk and all, so the steelbook is likely fine as well.

Last edited:
For my christmas I have tested some of the mystery box titles so here goes.

On the naughty list
My-Hime
(I've only tested the first disk so far but it indeed has locked subs, the later ones likely do as well but I will update when I know for sure)

On the (somewhat) naughty list
Code Geass Resurrection
; the blu-ray has locked subs but the dvd is fine.

On the nice list
El-Hazard's
subs can be toggled during playback.
Boogiepop's subs can be toggled during playback.
Josee's subs can be both toggled in the menu and during playback.

All titles listed are the collectors ed sets.

I haven't tested the exact version of the other titles I got in the box but I did watch the standard edition for Promare a while back and it was fine, being a GKids authored disk and all, so the steelbook is likely fine as well.
Thanks. I've added My-HiME and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection to the list.

I've also added Bungo Stray Dogs (and the movie), the Steins;Gate movie and Fairy Tail (Collection 6 (Disc 3) - 11 and the Final Season).

Quick one to add.

Ghost in the Shell Arise Borders 3 and 4, on Blu-ray by Manga UK, have locked subs.

Also tested on Blu-ray; Borders 1 and 2's main subs are unlocked and can be toggled either during playback or in the top menu, I'm not sure about songs and signs as I don't really check them; the same can be said for basically any other time I mention that a release is ok so just something to bear in mind.

Edit: Just tested some of the other AL mystery box titles.

On-Gaku's subs can be toggled either in the menu or during playback.
The same can be said for both Anti Magic Academy and Big Order.
All in all I think the mystery box haul this year has gone fairly smoothly.

Last edited:
Just wanted to ask while they're still on sale; does anyone know if the subs for Hunter X Hunter and/or Log Horizon season 3 on Blu-ray are locked or not?

Also I'm a bit embarassed to ask this as I did get the answer regarding the DVD but does anyone know if Golden Kamuy on Blu-ray's subs are locked or not? if they're not then I'll go with that version for the HD, otherwise then I'll get the DVD instead.

Last edited:
Just wanted to ask while they're still on sale; does anyone know if the subs for Hunter X Hunter and/or Log Horizon season 3 on Blu-ray are locked or not?

Also I'm a bit embarassed to ask this as I did get the answer regarding the DVD but does anyone know if Golden Kamuy on Blu-ray's subs are locked or not? if they're not then I'll go with that version for the HD, otherwise then I'll get the DVD instead.

Don't have Hunter X Hunter, but Log Horizon S3 BD is unlocked

Golden Kamuy is locked.

Golden Kamuy has been added to the list.

I received Summer Ghost and The Deer King, both Anime Limited titles. I can confirm that the subtitles for The Deer King are completely optional both on the Blu-ray and the DVD, via both the main menu and during playback.

As for Summer Ghost, this is a unique situation. The subtitles are optional on the Blu-ray via both the main menu and during playback, but the subtitles for the DVD are locked. The Blu-ray uses discs from the GKIDS release, while the DVD uses the @Anime discs, and an additional note for the dub fans, the DVDs lack the English dub.

A few to add.

The Ancient Magus Bride is locked on DVD as well; I have the complete collection that has the Crunchyroll logo on but we should probably assume it's the same for the part sets.

Log Horizon Season 2 DVD bizzarely season 3 on Blu-Ray is ok like Just Passing Through said but season 2 on DVD is not (likely to do with the fact that season 3 is Funimation while season 2 is Sentai); I remember season 1 on DVD being unlocked but I haven't tested it recently.

Not a UK release but I finally took the plunge with One Piece collection 26's Blu-ray release and it is locked just like the DVD's; this will no doubt be the same for the UK DVD's; also Collection 25 is locked as well as predicted; the only reason I thought there may have been another outcome was that this series had never had this problem prior to Collection 24.

Last edited:
Christmas is here and with it, a fair few locked subtitles tests.

On the naughty list.

In/Spectre:
This one is baffling as it has an option in setup to toggle the subtitles for dub users but it either is for signs only or simply doesn’t seem to work, the subs are locked during playback so there’s no fixing it either, both discs tested.

On the technically naughty but not too naughty list.

Belle:
The subs here are locked during playback but the setup offers several options for dub users that allow for viewing with subs if you are a dub user, therefore my biggest gripe with locked subs is eliminated for this film but it’s still worth bearing in mind if you like watching in Japanese with no subtitles.

On the nice list.

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor:
The subs here are unlocked during playback, I’ve tested disc 1 and 2 but I’m assuming it’s the same for 3 and 4, I’ll update this post if not.

Emma a Victorian Romance Season 1: The subs here are unlocked during playback, both discs tested.

I’ll have a few more soon but this is all I have time for so far, being Christmas and all.

Back