The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Can Hell Girl be recommended? - I've found the individual parts of season one very cheap, just wanted to see if it's worth it.

Also is there a thread where these questions can be asked (about recommendation)? - don't know if its okay to ask here (I've done it a couple of times now lol).

It's fine to ask like this but if you have a lot or think it's worth a dedicated topic, go for it!

As for Hell Girl, it's one of my all-time favourites - or at least the first two seasons are (the direction changed a bit after that and I preferred the earlier outings). It's extremely repetitive, deliberately, which is part of what I love about it but it might grate if you are hoping for something less episodic. If you like the first episode, you'll probably like the lot - but conversely if you hate it, it's unlikely to get better. If low key horror-tinged modern day morality tales with Noto Mamiko uttering creepy lines in her perfect voice don't do it for you, it might not appeal.

R

Can Hell Girl be recommended? - I've found the individual parts of season one very cheap, just wanted to see if it's worth it.
Aside from what Rui said - I should add, that it actually did not really age all that greatly. The ideas are really strong, but upon a rewatch I found the characterization and presentation of many of these one-case characters pretty flat. Also, the drawings are sometimes seriously inconsistent and animation nonexistant. Nevertheless when it counts the direction is really strong and so a lot of this show stays with quite memorable impressions. Also every season manages to get a quite memorable ending, which is probably my memory gets twisted into the positive direction.
S1-2 are directed my Oomori, who also did Durarara, Natsume Yuujinchou and a lot of others after he left Deen for Brains Base (which is why S3 isn't directed by him, though he returned for S4.)
Personally I really like the Character Designs style by Mariko Oka. (Though they are rendered far more beautifully in Ghost Hound overall.)
Also probably Takanashi Yasuharu's best OST.

But at any rate: if you found it cheap, go for it, S1 has been OOP for quite a long while and S2-3 probably are by now, too.

I am currently thinking about Liz & the Blue Bird from Shout Factory. I kind of remember that there were issues with some Shout Factory Anime movie, was it this one?
And is there any licence out there for the UK already? I kind of remember that some people were quite sad about AL not putting it to cinemas, but not sure if that was sad because they had the license, but didn't or simply didn't get it.

I am currently thinking about Liz & the Blue Bird from Shout Factory. I kind of remember that there were issues with some Shout Factory Anime movie, was it this one?
Maquia was the problem disc.

Liz is a good release in terms of PQ/AQ, but it uses the theatrical version without the fixed animation and there are no extras included.

Is there any anime with:

- Girls with Guns vs Zombies (not HOTD)
- Girls with Guns war based shows (Think SAO Bullet arc but more serious)
- Girls with Guns show you can recommend in general (Watched Gun Slinger Girl, Strike Witches, Sabagebu)

Ah yes, She! The Ultimate Weopon and SAC were good shows

Black Lagoon has been on my To Watch List since watching Bebop, but never got around to buying it

And I've never heard of Noir or Burst Angels before. I'll have a look

Sound of the Sky, maybe? Although that's probably going to be difficult to find. Just checked your anime list and saw you'd already watched it :p

Depending on how loose you define "girls with guns", The Saga of Tanya the Evil could fit as a serious war-based show.

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but I find Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom to be an underrated gem of a show, and it does indeed feature at least one girl with a gun.

You guys covered most of my favorite Girls with Guns titles, here's my list of titles I own, off the top of my head, with my most favorites nearer the top of the list. I include series that have even a minor female character in them that handles a gun well. Also, I don't care for comedy-type Girls with Guns series, so I don't watch any of those. Noir and Phantom have always been my top two most favorite anime of all time, until Violet Evergarden came out - and Violet uses a gun in the war, too!

Noir
Phantom, Requiem for the Phantom
Psycho-Pass
Ergo Proxy
Gunslinger Girl
Jormungand
Black Lagoon
Ghost in the Shell
Ajin
Appleseed
Darker than Black
Canaan
Kite
MadLax
Gunsmith Cats
She the Ultimate Weapon

I also really like Girls with Knives/Katana/Spears too, so stuff like Garden of Sinners, Blood+, Twelve Kingdoms, Attack on Titan, Claymore, and Moribito are way up there too.

Last edited:
Lol, I hate most everything that is popular. :)

Its settled then, I really need to watch Noir

What really makes that series is the music, I will never grow tired of Yuki Kajiura's Canta per me and Salva Nos in almost every episode... Whenever you hear the beginning sounds of Salva Nos start to play, you know that sh*t is going to hit the fan at any moment, lol...

Canta per me
Cante per me performed live - Yuki Kajiura and FictionJunction

Salva nos
Salva nos performed live - Yuki Kajiura and FictionJunction

Last edited:
Canaan would fit, too I think. There is also the terrible El Cazador something, that's the third on that Bee Train girls and guns trio after noir and madlax. (It's for some good Kajiura tracks at least.)

There is also Mai Hime... Kind of. But I think the was one with guns. (Natsuki?) Or perhaps it was Mai Otome.

Back