The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

The thing with Gundam SEED is that it goes to great lengths to be a more 'human' series, as opposed to just being about mecha bust-ups and big galactic politics.

When I first started getting into it, I was skeptical (maybe because I'd seen so many of the core elements and plot points recycled in pretty much every mecha show since) but once you get to know the characters, you see there's so much more to it.

I think, for me, what really drove it along was the two-sided nature to it all. So many of the good guys were real jerks, and so many of the bad guys were 'nice'. So you had this grey middle ground where everyone was screwing each other over and acting on their own whims.

On a separate note - I just remembered one pre-05 series I always try and bang on about to everyone. Rozen Maiden. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this show is fairly unloved these days. Fair enough, it's not a 'classic', in the traditional sense of the word, but if you like cute character designs and really nice gothic undertones, it's brilliant. Shinku is probably one of my favourite tsundere characters ever too.

Professor Irony said:
Pre-05 covers an awful lot of ground
This was my first thought, hence just going for one big series from not too long before that date. The rest of your post re: SEED has some good points too, you sound like a very reasona...

I'd also go to bat for Nadesico
FFFFFFFFFFFFF

The problem I have with SEED is that, even if it does try to have a more human touch to it, I don't feel it was particularly successful. Trying to make the 'evil' characters sympathetic can work well, but I just didn't care about any of them. None of the main cast struck me as at all engaging and I was never surprised by anywhere the story went with them. SEED was the first Gundam series I ever watched, but even at that point, I felt like I'd seen it all before.

ilmaestro said:
FFFFFFFFFFFFF

dZTgiTj.jpg

I'm not a superfan of Nadesico, I think the main character is too much of a 'talented milquetoast' and the later story smacks of it having been cut awkwardly short, but I do feel it has a degree of wit and self-awareness many subsequent mech shows can only dream of.

Lawrence said:
Didn't seem worthwhile to dedicate a whole thread to this but I was wondering if anyone had any anime pre-2005 that they'd recommend? For what it's worth, I haven't even seen GiTS, so I wouldn't rule out 'obvious' suggestions here.
Kiddy Grade is 2002. Nuff said.

Shiroi Hane said:
Lawrence said:
Didn't seem worthwhile to dedicate a whole thread to this but I was wondering if anyone had any anime pre-2005 that they'd recommend? For what it's worth, I haven't even seen GiTS, so I wouldn't rule out 'obvious' suggestions here.
Kiddy Grade is 2002. Nuff said.

I enjoyed the 1st half but I'm still confused about the direction It took in the later part.

I think most of the classics have been mentioned, I was quite impressed by the recent AL release of Outlaw Star

Lutga said:
The thing with Gundam SEED is that it goes to great lengths to be a more 'human' series, as opposed to just being about mecha bust-ups and big galactic politics.

When I first started getting into it, I was skeptical (maybe because I'd seen so many of the core elements and plot points recycled in pretty much every mecha show since) but once you get to know the characters, you see there's so much more to it.

I think, for me, what really drove it along was the two-sided nature to it all. So many of the good guys were real jerks, and so many of the bad guys were 'nice'. So you had this grey middle ground where everyone was screwing each other over and acting on their own whims.
I feel like the UC time-line Gundam shows did all of that earlier and better (and certainly with nicer old-fashioned character designs and animation, although your mileage may vary on that point).

Professor Irony said:
I'd also go to bat for Nadesico, despite the opinions expressed on the subject by other users. The meta show-within-a-show elements are fun, and I thought its efforts at sitting tragedy and comedy alongside each other were surprisingly successful.
Believing the exact opposite of that is what made me drop the show.

fBeSS4O.jpg

Was just looking at the recent changes on UP1 and they have Bakemonogatari Collection listed as October. I had a quick look on MVM's site, Amazon and Zavvi and couldn't find this. Anyone else have any information on this?

I was looking at getting Hanabee's collection that is coming out on August 6th but if MVM are to release a boxset collection I'll wait for that.

Cannot recall anything being said about the complete set coming out Q4 but I know it was planned to be released eventually. I guess with MVM announcing their Q4 at some point today we may find out some more info.

Hoping for a release date for the complete Needless set.

Dannielle said:
Anyone know if the Kamisama Kiss release includes the two OVA's? This one: http://www.up1.co.uk/Details/K1188-Kami ... Blu-ray+AB

EDIT: Also, with a Kindle ..can you purchase Amazon.com Manga? or is it just UK?

I don't believe it does; I have the US version and while I haven't watched it yet, the OAVs aren't mentioned anywhere in the extras. IIRC FUNimation licensed it before they were announced so they probably slipped through the cracks. At least there's a chance they'll pick them up with season two now if they pick that up!

Regarding Kindle, assuming it works like the Kindle app for iOS then it's pretty easy to buy books and manga from the foreign Amazon stores and read them on your local device. You'll need to have an account on the overseas Amazon store and make sure you've set things up correctly but then you can just buy the books and download them as normal. I don't know whether having an actual Kindle makes things more complicated, though.

R

Amazon Japan region blocks all kindle titles.

One of the oh so many reasons why kindles are regressive technology that should be avoided like the plague.

Except that I buy Kindle books from Amazon JP on a regular basis, in the UK, without doing anything special.

Rui said:
I don't know whether having an actual Kindle makes things more complicated, though.
You link your Kindle to an Amazon account, and can only access books bought on that account. I find it way easier to use multiple Kindles rather than switch things around, but I will accept that not everyone will see the appeal there.

ilmaestro said:
Except that I buy Kindle books from Amazon JP on a regular basis, in the UK, without doing anything special.

Then why does it say 'このタイトルは、あなたの国では利用できません。' on every single entry?

I don't have a kindle to link it to. Nor do I want one. That shouldn't affect that message though, should it?

Who knows! It's nearly two years since Kindle was released in Japan, can't remember if I had to do anything else to be able to buy stuff.

If you don't want one anyway though, I guess it doesn't matter. ^^;

hmm...so If I link a kindle up to the Amazon.com store rather than .co.uk I should be able to get those releases?

The UK store is lacking compared to the states so buying a Kindle depends on if I can access the American store or not.

Thanks for the Kamisama Info :)

kuuderes_shadow said:
I don't have a kindle to link it to. Nor do I want one. That shouldn't affect that message though, should it?

If you go to your Kindle settings (I believe this exists on your Amazon account page even if you don't have one) and set your home region to Japan, does that fix it? I don't get that message either, only the buy button.

I have my iPad linked to Amazon Japan and my phone to Amazon USA, and I can 'import' eBooks from either. Sorry Amazon UK :D

R

Rui said:
If you go to your Kindle settings (I believe this exists on your Amazon account page even if you don't have one) and set your home region to Japan, does that fix it?

It probably would, but I don't really want to test it.

Back