The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

I remember I saw a poster for a "manga monday" or something in the glasgow one. I think you got so much % off your purchase. I could possibly be imagining all of this though.

Cel said:
I remember I saw a poster for a "manga monday" or something in the glasgow one. I think you got so much % off your purchase. I could possibly be imagining all of this though.

Been a while since I was there but I think you're right in a sense. I remember once I was handed a leaflet and it was something about the first Monday of the month (I think)? I think they said a few things went on those days. This was AGES ago though.

I'm in Ayrshire so I don't travel to Glasgow all that often. It's expensive for me :(

I think there is/was something about 3 for 2 if the books were/are the same price? I could be completely wrong. I remember a little sign, I think.

Is it coming across that my memory is awful? :lol:

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mitsudomoe hasn't had a US release as yet so a UK release seems very unlikely. I don't think the show sold very well in Japan, as the second season ended with only 10 episodes - shame really.

I could see MVM releasing YuruYuri if Hanabee get the license for Australia.

VoxPhantom said:
Mitsudomoe hasn't had a US release as yet so a UK release seems very unlikely. I don't think the show sold very well in Japan, as the second season ended with only 10 episodes - shame really.

Thanks for the reply, I guess that person is going to be really disappointed for a while. This is the fate of anime viewers in the UK I suppose.

qaiz said:
VoxPhantom said:

Thanks for the reply, I guess that person is going to be really disappointed for a while. This is the fate of anime viewers in the UK I suppose.

Depends, multi region BD player are available, though the cheap machine that everyone was buying a while back isn't available anymore (or at least not cheaply).

Otherwise, yes we do have to face facts we will not get everything the US got, on the plus side it does tend to be the better titles (because they sell better in the US and justify a UK release) but we wont get the more niche shows that some will hope for.

Hi guys, due to saving for a mortgage I'll probably look to stream more and confine my spending to Anime Limiteds CE and UE releases. Just wondering which of the streaming services you would recommend? Crunchyroll seems to have the most shows but is the PS4 app available in the UK yet? I know I have animax on my ps4 but their selection doesn't look too hot.

I can easily stream the content from my PC to my TV via hdmi but would rather just use the PS4 if possible. Thanks for any advice :)

britguy said:
Hi guys, due to saving for a mortgage I'll probably look to stream more and confine my spending to Anime Limiteds CE and UE releases. Just wondering which of the streaming services you would recommend? Crunchyroll seems to have the most shows but is the PS4 app available in the UK yet? I know I have animax on my ps4 but their selection doesn't look too hot.

I can easily stream the content from my PC to my TV via hdmi but would rather just use the PS4 if possible. Thanks for any advice :)

Crunchyroll is 'presumably' blocked from European PlayStations due to Animax but like the PS3 you can get the Crunchyroll app on PS4 from the North American PlayStation store (by creating a NA PSN account, no harm in creating one).

britguy said:

You can't get CR on the Playstation Store in the UK. You have to create a US account and download it from there.
It's definitely the best service to use out of all of them though.

Edit: Ninja'd by Grav ;_;

I'd definitely go with Crunchyroll - it has by far and away the most shows and I've always found the interface very clean and easy to use.

Also, aside from inbuilt console apps - I believe you can just run it off a tablet hooked up via HDMI port too.

I have a question about everyone's anime collections (and manga too, if you collect them too)

Basically, how do you keep your collection in check in terms of space?

Do you chuck stuff out when you're bored with it/know you'll never watch/read it again, or do you keep absolutely everything?

Do you have to have everything within easy access in shelves etc/organised - or do you put stuff away in boxes if you don't use it regularly?

I'm the type that never really chucks anything away - and my room is kind of spilling at the seams with stuff - and that's from only really collecting for the past two years or so. Especially when it comes to manga, how do you possibly find room to keep it all, as it seems like people on here buy quite a lot on a weekly basis?

Lutga said:
I have a question about everyone's anime collections (and manga too, if you collect them too)

Do you chuck stuff out when you're bored with it/know you'll never watch/read it again, or do you keep absolutely everything?

Do you have to have everything within easy access in shelves etc/organised - or do you put stuff away in boxes if you don't use it regularly?

I'm the type that never really chucks anything away - and my room is kind of spilling at the seams with stuff - and that's from only really collecting for the past two years or so. Especially when it comes to manga, how do you possibly find room to keep it all, as it seems like people on here buy quite a lot on a weekly basis?

1) I keep my collection on my shelf, as for the manga box sets they stay in a separate area (due to the size).
2) I kept all of my anime/manga in my collection because I want to personally, if an opportunity arises that there's an even better version of the set (say R.O.D. for instance) then I may sell the version I currently have.
3) I managed to get a shelf out of the garage last year but it's soon going to be completely full by the time I complete my Semester 2 pickups (January '15 to May '15). I'll probably have to figure out a solution by then (most likely moving the UK versions to a draw like Mangaranga did).
4) When I have the cash I generally try to get the special sets as much as I can, as soon as possible. I nearly made some mistakes on certain titles (Shiki's original sets, Baka & Test Season 2, Love Live! Season 1 and Cowboy Bebop Amazon Exclusive as examples) by underestimating the outcome of how long they would last.

For anime, I'm not too bad for space as my main interest is manga. I've got 3 sort of 'tower shelves' if that is a good enough description? One tall one and two little ones. The tall one is full but the little ones aren't. I've been trading in some anime lately if I feel I won't watch it again. I've really just got to grips with my own taste. So now, I'm careful what I buy.

The manga is the problem :lol: I have one bookcase where it all stays right now. I'm at the double stacking phase. It still all looks nice and neat. I only follow series I'm definitely interested in. So I have more volumes than series if that makes sense? I also try to finish one big series before starting a new one. I feel at some point soon, I'll be going through my anime and making decisions on what to part with to make room for more manga. Though there are plenty that I love that won't be going anywhere :3

I decided at the start of the year that manga will be my main focus now. So I'm slowing down on anime purchases. I'm more likely to re-read than re-watch. Everything in my bookcase (that isn't brand new) has been read at least twice. I've always preferred reading to watching.

Lutga said:

In order to keep my collection in check I've basically tried to not start any new Manga series unless it's something high priority, this has not been 100% successful. Anime wise I was buying quite freely as they take up much less room than manga but I'm cutting back to a few quality shows every month or two rather than a more liberal approach (partly due to space and costs and partly due to some shows being average/not delivering)

I keep it all at the moment, though I did ditch some Videos I upgraded to DvD and I did have several boxes of Manga that I earmarked to bin (almost all tokyopop stuff that they never finished :( ) A lot of stuff is in boxes, and my book shelves are chock-a-block, I kinda have a largeish wall of stuff on the go.

Sadly I don't keep my collection in check in terms of space... it's overflowing *sigh*
Shelves are double (and in a lot of caes triple) stacked and I have had to move a lot of my non-manga books into another room to make space. I reckon I can fit a 'bit' more in but it is rapidly reaching crisis point.

However I would never dream of throwing out stuff I've watched/read, as I do a lot of rewatching/rereading as well.

Guess I just need a bigger house... or someone to invent a TARDIS or N-Space compression...

Dan said:
I may have been hiding under a bush but did anyone else notice that the latest version of Castle in the Sky has a different music score? I knew it seemed different when I watched the blu-Ray.

Only reason I know is that I read an Answerman article on ANN. I've now gone and ordered the old DVD I use to have.

Just to confirm from ANN (although this's is the U.S. version)

Castle in the Sky - Disney Blu-ray is dubtitled. The English dub has been revised to remove some added dialogue and restore the original synthesizer score, which was replaced with an orchestral re-recording on its initial release. The Japanese BD has faithful subtitles, and includes the dub with the orchestral score.

I think the UK version (dub) has the orchestral score but the version I have watched for years had the synthesiser score. At least I hope it did as I've just wasted a few quid ordering a DVD I used to own.

Anyway if you put the DVD or Blu-Ray on and flick between the English and Japanese audio, the score on the Japanese version is the one I know (which I believe is the synthesiser score)

Turns out I was wrong. The earlier UK release, music wise matches the DVD/Blu-Ray Combi. :oops:

Just in case Manga go up in flames are the US boxsets of One Piece & Naruto equivalent to the UK ones, so we are up to set eight of One Piece in the UK would the next US one to get be nine?

robot monkey said:
Just in case Manga go up in flames are the US boxsets of One Piece & Naruto equivalent to the UK ones, so we are up to set eight of One Piece in the UK would the next US one to get be nine?

I know the One Piece sets are the same, not sure about Naruto but i'm pretty sure they would be.

DragonBlaze67 said:
robot monkey said:

I know the One Piece sets are the same, not sure about Naruto but i'm pretty sure they would be.

Naruto was a bit of a mess at the start but fortunately someone made a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Na ... D_releases

R

Back