The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Shadow Cat

Stand User
I'd say definitely play it.

Danganronpa: The Animation (the anime adaptation of the first game) isn't very good at all. Too much story was jammed into 13 episodes and it just didn't work. It's all very rushed and flimsy.

2, V3 (the third game in the main series) and Ultra Despair Girls (a third-person shooter spinoff) haven't been animated, but references are made to them in the two Danganronpa 3 anime series (which are both good).

To get the full/best experience, I'd recommend playing all the games in release order (S/Ultimate Summer Camp is non-canon and not vital to play), then watching both of the Danganronpa 3 anime series (they won't make much sense without knowing what happened before).

There's a manga version of Danganronpa: The Animation available in English from Dark Horse, which is very good - that pretty much covers the first game faithfully if you don't feel like playing it. Manga adaptations of Ultra Despair Girls and 2 (two versions, from different points of view) are available too.
Thank you for replying, I will have a look at the games :)

It looks like the Switch Ver. includes most of the games, excluding Ultra Despair Girls so unless they have managed to destroy the port then it might be my best option

Takei Daloui

Great Teacher
I'd say definitely play it.

Danganronpa: The Animation (the anime adaptation of the first game) isn't very good at all. Too much story was jammed into 13 episodes and it just didn't work. It's all very rushed and flimsy.

2, V3 (the third game in the main series) and Ultra Despair Girls (a third-person shooter spinoff) haven't been animated, but references are made to them in the two Danganronpa 3 anime series (which are both good).

To get the full/best experience, I'd recommend playing all the games in release order (S/Ultimate Summer Camp is non-canon and not vital to play), then watching both of the Danganronpa 3 anime series (they won't make much sense without knowing what happened before).

There's a manga version of Danganronpa: The Animation available in English from Dark Horse, which is very good - that pretty much covers the first game faithfully if you don't feel like playing it. Manga adaptations of Ultra Despair Girls and 2 (two versions, from different points of view) are available too.
Would you recommend the manga? I saw it recently in Forbidden Planet, with tons of volumes of the various series, but I'm a newcomer to the series.

awadama fever

Za Warudo
Would you recommend the manga? I saw it recently in Forbidden Planet, with tons of volumes of the various series, but I'm a newcomer to the series.
Yep, I've really enjoyed the series I've read so far! (I've not got around to Ultra Despair Girls yet)

The manga version of The Animation (four volumes) is a lot better than the anime - the story and characters are given more room to breathe and it's much more satisfying.

The second game has two series available in English - Goodbye Despair and Ultimate Luck and Hope and Despair (three volumes each). They originally ran at the same time, so it doesn't really matter which one you read first (or you could alternate volumes or whatever).

Even if you've never played any of the games, I really think the manga is definitely worth checking out. None of them are dependent on you having any existing knowledge of the games, so anyone could pick them up and be able to work out what's going on. If you don't feel like investing 24+ hours into each game, the manga is a great way to experience the story!

Takei Daloui

Great Teacher
Yep, I've really enjoyed the series I've read so far! (I've not got around to Ultra Despair Girls yet)

The manga version of The Animation (four volumes) is a lot better than the anime - the story and characters are given more room to breathe and it's much more satisfying.

The second game has two series available in English - Goodbye Despair and Ultimate Luck and Hope and Despair (three volumes each). They originally ran at the same time, so it doesn't really matter which one you read first (or you could alternate volumes or whatever).

Even if you've never played any of the games, I really think the manga is definitely worth checking out. None of them are dependent on you having any existing knowledge of the games, so anyone could pick them up and be able to work out what's going on. If you don't feel like investing 24+ hours into each game, the manga is a great way to experience the story!

I might give it a try then. It looked around skimming through it in the shop (art seemed alright, nothing seemed weird at a glance but I don't tend to take in story points when I skim them quickly, I'm just looking to see if anything seems off or weird like weird phrasing for plot stuff, or weird story points that don't click with me) so I'll see if I can find the first few chapters online somewhere. Normally you can find the first 2-3 chapters as previews for a series so that might be a good way to see how the story flows.
Thanks for the advice.

Otomo

Completely Average High School Student
Sorry for this late question but I've just realised that the AoL sale ends tomorrow morning.
There's not a lot I want but
wondered if I should get Astra Lost in Space?
Is it exciting? Fast paced?

I've read the site review which doesn't make me jump either way.

WMD

Cardcaptor
Sorry for this late question but I've just realised that the AoL sale ends tomorrow morning.

This was my personal review I put in the rate anime thread. Personally I loved it. Great mystery show:

Astra Lost In Space

This show absolutely pressed all the right buttons with me. I loved each and every second if it. I thought it was just going to be a bit if a sci fi romp but it was so much more than that. The mystery, who-done-it vibe that the narrative was built on was so interesting. I love murder mysteries so having a mystery element was something I was definitely down for. Also with the cest lost in space and trying to get home there was this locked room vibe where they have to work together but not sure of they can really trust one another. It was very cool.

The characters and cast were also a big plus. There was a lot of drama to be dived into and basically everyone had something going on to be uncovered. They were also all very distinct from one another in design and personality. The dub cast were also fantastic. Not a weak link on the show.

It's also a great looking show. Its not necessarily pushing the boat out or anything but each planet they land on was original and fun to explore and each offered new and distinct challenges for the team.

It's only 12 episodes long but it tells a complete story in that time and the mystery elements are all nicely answered and resolved by the end which makes it a very satisfying show to watch. For me personally it's a 10/10

crashb648

Dandy Guy, in Space

For me, it had a great mix of drama, action, humor and character development.
The story keeps you on your toes, and does have Star Trek vibes (if that’s a good thing or not depends on your taste)

I watched it on dub and that’s was excellent 😄

tr lr, excellent show. I rated it 9/10 🙂