Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Astra Lost In Space

This show absolutely pressed all the right buttons with me. I loved each and every second if it. I thought it was just going to be a bit if a sci fi romp but it was so much more than that. The mystery, who-done-it vibe that the narrative was built on was so interesting. I love murder mysteries so having a mystery element was something I was definitely down for. Also with the cest lost in space and trying to get home there was this locked room vibe where they have to work together but not sure of they can really trust one another. It was very cool.

The characters and cast were also a big plus. There was a lot of drama to be dived into and basically everyone had something going on to be uncovered. They were also all very distinct from one another in design and personality. The dub cast were also fantastic. Not a weak link on the show.

It's also a great looking show. Its not necessarily pushing the boat out or anything but each planet they land on was original and fun to explore and each offered new and distinct challenges for the team.

It's only 12 episodes long but it tells a complete story in that time and the mystery elements are all nicely answered and resolved by the end which makes it a very satisfying show to watch. For me personally it's a 10/10

Lovely review, @Aaron ! Though in my opinion you were a bit harsh on Ono! A bit oblique, and I felt it's lazy they didn't give the poor girl any speech whatsoever, but I thought she was only actually kind of mean for the first couple episodes. Although it's true she does tend to speak with her fists on occasions! But to be fair her obliqueness is matched by Harauo's obtuseness. Really nice review though!

I think the director took what he had and perfected it in the sequel.
The two films are actually by different directors. The original was overseen by Toyō Ashida of Fist of the North Star notoriety, while Bloodlust was handled by the much revered Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who holds the same credit for the likes of Ninja Scroll and Wicked City. Kawajiri also wrote the screenplay for Bloodlust.

Not sure about the western accents but seeing this time a clear western influence on the film I can see why Sentai went that way.
Wow, that's really interesting; I didn't know that. 😯
The film really does have a western vibe, so that sounds like a clever move.

The two films are actually by different directors. The original was overseen by Toyō Ashida of Fist of the North Star notoriety, while Bloodlust was handled by the much revered Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who holds the same credit for the likes of Ninja Scroll and Wicked City. Kawajiri also wrote the screenplay for Bloodlust.
Oops I was supposed to correct that. Someone pointed it out to me on a Facebook group. I have no idea why I thought it was the same Director but I have done for years 😂

I have no idea why I thought it was the same Director but I have done for years 😂
I mainly know about it because I enjoyed Ninja Scroll and wanted to see other things he directed. 🙂

like Chun Li fighting Cammy to see who gets to go on a date with Blanka.
🤣
Dude, you're doing it again! And Jon Snow!!

Also, for what it's worth, I've played Street Fighter II Turbo on my SNES Mini.

I'm terrible at it. 😅

Astra Lost In Space

This show absolutely pressed all the right buttons with me.
This series was kind of at the edge of my radar, so I'll need to give it a proper look now. Thanks for the review. 👍

Lovely review, @Aaron ! Though in my opinion you were a bit harsh on Ono! A bit oblique, and I felt it's lazy they didn't give the poor girl any speech whatsoever, but I thought she was only actually kind of mean for the first couple episodes. Although it's true she does tend to speak with her fists on occasions! But to be fair her obliqueness is matched by Harauo's obtuseness. Really nice review though!
If anything, I think I was too kind to her! She bit the poor guy in the second to last episode - I hope he’s had his rabies shots! 😬

(and thank you! 😅)

I used to pretty good at Street Fighter II, can’t play it for love nor money now... feels like I’m playing a different game to the I had as a kid 😂
It's off-topic for this thread, I know, but a guy at work who apparently used to be pretty good at SFII back in his day once told me that you've got literally a window of only three frames of animation maximum for optimum move timing for combos.

I've never been able to do anywhere close to frame-perfect inputs in games. I've seen Super Mario Bros. speedruns on YouTube, and they have me all like... 😵❗

It's off-topic for this thread, I know, but a guy at work who apparently used to be pretty good at SFII back in his day once told me that you've got literally a window of only three frames of animation maximum for optimum move timing for combos.

I've never been able to do anywhere close to frame-perfect inputs in games. I've seen Super Mario Bros. speedruns on YouTube, and they have me all like... 😵❗
That will explain it. I’m no spring chicken anymore 😂 Yeah those Speed runs are insane.

Lol, I got 20 years on you youngsters guys, I will be 60 in a few months - I don't play any games anymore, quit about 5 years ago - but when I did they were all PC based games. Borderlands was the last game I bought for the PC. I never owned a console of any kind, at least not since I had an original Pong game console I got for Christmas back in the early 1970's, lol...

Lol, I got 20 years on you youngsters guys, I will be 60 in a few months - I don't play any games anymore, quit about 5 years ago - but when I did they were all PC based games. Borderlands was the last game I bought for the PC. I never owned a console of any kind, at least not since I had an original Pong game console I got for Christmas back in the early 1970's, lol...
Oh wow, so I’m nowhere near the oldest one here then.. I was worried i was surrounded by youngsters 😂 Pong is still a great game, I need to get my hands on it, me and my wife still mention it from time to time. The simple games usually are the best.

I have often thought about the day I cant play games anymore. Absolutely dreading it. I’m still playing on medium difficulty so I guess I can go to easy if they start getting too hard before I have to quit 😂

When they perfect a lifelike 3D MMO game with a headset like SAO or Log Horizon or any other gazillion anime gaming series, then I'll get back into gaming. Virtual hentai would be interesting, too, for this old man, lol... ;)

Record of Lodos War (OAV) - 8/10

This has been on my list for some time and finally got round to it thanks to Funimation Now. Have to say I really enjoyed it and tempted to import it on Blu-ray to add to my collection. The HD remaster is top notch, it looked very nice even streaming.

I’m still a little confused about where the first episode fits in as the 2nd episode went back before the first episode and seem to follow on chronologically so not sure where exactly it went but it didn’t spoil it, I just got a shock later (won’t spoil it in case someone hasn’t seen it). It had great cast of characters too and a really good English dub. I got a 90’s cartoon vibe from it aswell, possibly from the music which was fantastic. I loved the character designs... I think this show made me realise what it is I like so much about the character designs I tend to really like... a proper nose 😂

I’m going to watch the TV series too although I hear it’s not quite as good but I’m definitely in the mood for more.

Edit: I got an update on episode one. Seems to be sat in between episode 5 & 6.

Last edited:
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust 10/10
There’s only 2 anime movies I would give a perfect score to and this is one of them (might also be watching the other this weekend). With great character designs, a cool main character (I mean how cool is D?), fantastic (bloody) action, awesome bounty hunters, some really freaky bad guys... and a sad love story. I mean is there anything else you’d want 😂 The animation is simply beautiful and some of the best you’ll ever see and to still see those imperfections of 90’s anime is so nice.. the noise, grain and flecks of white that just pop on the screen... it’s only now I’m a bit older I appreciate those things.. think Vinyl and that crackling sound.

I like all the characters in the show apart from the gremlin.
Oh no, so mean to poor Ono, she's just showing her affection through all that violence (they will have progressed to s&m games by the next season fast forward thirty years) but funny review dude heheh. Loved the nostalgia this series induced despite not knowing majority of the games or systems.

Astra Lost In Space

This show absolutely pressed all the right buttons with me. I loved each and every second if it.
Arrghh, this and the buzz around wonder egg priority is really making me want to sign up to funimation but I'm holding off!! Hoping I can get a good deal on the Astra blu ray too at some point..

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust 10/10
There’s only 2 anime movies I would give a perfect score to and this is one of them (might also be watching the other this weekend)
Another to add to the watchlist - it's not streaming anywhere is it? Very interested in that director's work having started watching (and loving) cyber city oedo on screenanime and recalling watching ninja scroll from a different lifetime heh. Which other movie would you give full marks to?

I can never decide between Bloodlust and Ninja Scroll for which film I think was Kawajiri’s best one. I find the final confrontation with Carmella a bit underwhelming, but the last line from D’s left hand is absolute gold.

Back