Rate the last anime you watched out of 10

Another to add to the watchlist - it's not streaming anywhere is it? Very interested in that director's work having started watching (and loving) cyber city oedo on screenanime and recalling watching ninja scroll from a different lifetime heh. Which other movie would you give full marks to?
I don’t think it is no. The Blu-ray it’s only about £15 on Amazon though.

Akira - 10/10
For me this is the pinnacle of anime. The creme de la creme, the numero Uno. The beautiful character designs, animation to die for, the best background art I’ve ever seen. Did I say the animation was god damn awesome 😂 I actually didn’t watch this until I started really collecting and buying anime back in the early 2000’s, despite watching anime in the 90’s thanks to Channel 4’s late night anime slots. It genuinely blows me away every time time I see it. My fave bit has to be the biker gang bike chase scene, watching Kaneda drive the worlds best ever bike with the tail lights streaming by. I’ve often searched for a biker gang anime and only ever found Wild 7 which I hear is awful, so any suggestions let me know.

This was also the anime that made me fall in love with anime explosions to which their are many and to this day if an anime doesn’t do it right (see some early 2000’s anime with with 🤢 cg explosions) I am very disappointed. Anyway I could gush all day but this post is already getting a bit long 😂

I really do need to read the Manga though to get the full story 😂

Yeah doesn’t look like my thing but thanks for the recommendatio, much appreciated. Have to say the animation does like nice on it though.

I forgot to say I did get recommended Shōnan Bakusōzoku. It’s only in Japanese which is a shame but I might still see what it’s like if I can find it... comedy isn’t really my thing with anime but willing to have a look at it.

Venus Wars is worth a look - the story is kind of woolly and it feels a bit old fashioned compared to Akira, despite coming out around the same time, but it's still an impressive spectacle and the bike action scenes are well handled.

I've also seen Wild 7. It's... an experience. Not worth going to great lengths for, but if you enjoy 'so bad it's good' kind of stuff, you might get a laugh out of it.

Venus Wars is worth a look - the story is kind of woolly and it feels a bit old fashioned compared to Akira, despite coming out around the same time, but it's still an impressive spectacle and the bike action scenes are well handled.

I've also seen Wild 7. It's... an experience. Not worth going to great lengths for, but if you enjoy 'so bad it's good' kind of stuff, you might get a laugh out of it.
I actually have Venus wars... I’m waiting for the Sentai Blu-ray set before I rewatch it but yeah u make a good point. That bike scene is great in that too... I actually posted somewhere on here a clip of the new dub that showed a bit of that scene.

<Harmony/> This should have been better than it was. The world-building is interesting, the location designs are mesmerising, and there's a good mystery investigation plot running through it's spine. Unfortunately it's just boring. It's 40 minutes before the inciting incident happens, it doesn't do a good job of establishing its dystopian status quo because the protagonist is immune to its effects for reasons that are never explained, said protagonist is quite bland, and the pacing meanders for too long. 6/10, but I suspect I'd drop that to 5/10 if I watch it again.

<Harmony/> This should have been better than it was. The world-building is interesting, the location designs are mesmerising, and there's a good mystery investigation plot running through it's spine. Unfortunately it's just boring. It's 40 minutes before the inciting incident happens, it doesn't do a good job of establishing its dystopian status quo because the protagonist is immune to its effects for reasons that are never explained, said protagonist is quite bland, and the pacing meanders for too long. 6/10, but I suspect I'd drop that to 5/10 if I watch it again.
Think I'll watch this if they have it on screenanime or streaming somewhere at any point. Find the project Itoh stuff interesting on paper but the reviews for harmony haven't been great. Got empire of corpses off of the Christmas sales so waiting to watch that but it's genocidal organ that seems most interesting though don't know about it's UK availability/streaming...

I imported all three AL steelcase releases for the Project Itoh movies, but had to order the French version for Genocidal Organ as it wasn't released as a steelcase in the UK - but at least I have a matching set now.

pigouk3.jpg

I would say I like Genocidal Organ the best, and <harmony/> almost as much - I actually thought <harmony/> was pretty good, I did not find it boring at all.

Last edited:
I imported all three AL steelcase releases for the Project Itoh movies, but had to order the French version for Genocidal Organ as it wasn't releases as a steelcase in the UK - but at least I got a matching set now.

pigouk3.jpg

I would say I like Genocidal Organ the best, and <harmony/> almost as much - I actually thought <harmony/> was pretty good, I did not find it boring at all.
Nice collection!

Nino Kuni - 7/10
Enjoyed it, there was a few story elements that I didn’t like (see below) but it was enjoyable enough.

How could Haruto think that killing the princess would help. When he left our world Kotona was dying from a stab wound. He and Yu saved the princess then came back and she was still alive when she’d probably have been dead.
Also thought the ending was very convenient. Yu just happens to be Haruto’s world twin... there should have been at least a hint towards that earlier in the film... unless I missed it

Got empire of corpses off of the Christmas sales
So did I the year before, having previously seen it at the cinema. I can promise you this: it's terrible. 😅

it's genocidal organ that seems most interesting though don't know about it's UK availability/streaming...
It does, and it's the only one of the three that I haven't seen. 😕
It isn't streaming, and...

had to order the French version for Genocidal Organ as it wasn't released as a steelcase in the UK
... it hasn't actually been released in the UK at all, unfortunately.

Also, @Dan: count me among the Akira 10/10 club!

Cyber City Oedo 808 - 8/10

Love this, cyberpunk is my fave genre of anime and we got some really good ones and this is one of them. I adore those city landscapes with the red lights, when I think of 90’s anime that's what I see. As usual for my tastes we get cool lead characters (especially Sengoku who I think is criminally underused in the 2nd and 3rd parts), cracking animation (good old Madhouse), action and plenty of bloody violence. Despite first seeing the Central Park Media release with the Japanese soundtrack and I actually prefer the UK soundtrack, it’s much more dramatic but I guess this is for most people gonna be about what you are used to. If you're outside the UK I’d guess you may not have even heard it. There are certainly some nice parts to the Japanese soundtrack but I just feel it’s a little flat in general. The strange thing is the UK soundtrack goes more for a rock vibe but the Japanese version has a much more rocky opening…. I actually prefer the Japanese opening piece of music that plays over the Oedo letters.

As for the Blu-ray I only really noticed the issues in the dark parts of the picture and although it was distracting it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the anime.. hope someone someday finds the missing master tape and we get an even better version 🤞

I can promise you this: it's terrible. 😅
Heh good thing then that my expectations are far lower than the piqued interest.

It isn't streaming, and...

... it hasn't actually been released in the UK at all, unfortunately.
Bah humbug...

Cyber City Oedo 808 - 8/10

Love this, cyberpunk is my fave genre of anime and we got some really good ones and this is one of them.
Probably the only anime I've preferentially watched the dub of instead of sub, after reading everyone's comments. It's hilarious! Thank you screenanime for opening my eyes to this gem, before all the collector's editions are sold out.

Back