The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Sorry for this late question but I've just realised that the AoL sale ends tomorrow morning.
There's not a lot I want but
wondered if I should get Astra Lost in Space?
Is it exciting? Fast paced?

I've read the site review which doesn't make me jump either way.

Sorry for this late question but I've just realised that the AoL sale ends tomorrow morning.

This was my personal review I put in the rate anime thread. Personally I loved it. Great mystery show:

Astra Lost In Space

This show absolutely pressed all the right buttons with me. I loved each and every second if it. I thought it was just going to be a bit if a sci fi romp but it was so much more than that. The mystery, who-done-it vibe that the narrative was built on was so interesting. I love murder mysteries so having a mystery element was something I was definitely down for. Also with the cest lost in space and trying to get home there was this locked room vibe where they have to work together but not sure of they can really trust one another. It was very cool.

The characters and cast were also a big plus. There was a lot of drama to be dived into and basically everyone had something going on to be uncovered. They were also all very distinct from one another in design and personality. The dub cast were also fantastic. Not a weak link on the show.

It's also a great looking show. Its not necessarily pushing the boat out or anything but each planet they land on was original and fun to explore and each offered new and distinct challenges for the team.

It's only 12 episodes long but it tells a complete story in that time and the mystery elements are all nicely answered and resolved by the end which makes it a very satisfying show to watch. For me personally it's a 10/10

For me, it had a great mix of drama, action, humor and character development.
The story keeps you on your toes, and does have Star Trek vibes (if that’s a good thing or not depends on your taste)

I watched it on dub and that’s was excellent 😄

tr lr, excellent show. I rated it 9/10 🙂

Can anyone else get on to Nippon Yasan https://www.nippon-yasan.com/ i've tried both my computer, phone and ipad and this is all i keep getting. also tried different browers.

View attachment 22277

Looking at trustpilot doesn't feel me with cheer 株式会社 Nippon-Yasan.Com is rated "Bad" with 1.4 / 5 on Trustpilot. Luckily the stuff i had on pre-order wasn't paid for. Now have to find to see if they are in stock elsewhere. I've never had a problem with NY in the past but i shall not be using them again if their site comes back up.
It looks completely gone as the as it now takes you to here https://materialmatcha.com/

So in Cardcaptor Sakura is the boys name Syaoran or Xiaolang

Only asking as Xiaolang looks a more Chinese name (Trying not to be rude saying that).

And Sakura seems to say something closer to Shaolang/Xiaolang rather than Syaoran

So in Cardcaptor Sakura is the boys name Syaoran or Xiaolang

Only asking as Xiaolang looks a more Chinese name (Trying not to be rude saying that).

And Sakura seems to say something closer to Shaolang/Xiaolang rather than Syaoran

They're exactly the same name. Japanese phonetics can't render Li Xiaolang the same way English script can - the name is written in katakana as a foreign name rather than a port of the Chinese characters, which would be pronounced more like Li Shoulou in Japanese and be harder to recognise as the same word. Pronounced phonetically, the equivalent of Li Xiaolang written in Japanese characters is Ri Shaoran (using Hepburn romanisation). The decision was made to romanise it as Li Syaoran instead for reasons only known to the original translator; 'Li' is easier for western speakers to read than 'Ri' and presumably they thought that 'Syaoran' was the same (the Japanese character for 'sha' can also be rendered as 'sya', much like 'l' and 'r' sounds; there's no pronunciation difference between them whatsoever). 'Syaoran' in Japanese is pretty much the closest you can get to the original Mandarin name, accounting for the different way the two languages are structured.

There's an argument for using the more typical Chinese romanisation for the English version, but either way people are going to complain since pinyin is quite hard to read for those unfamiliar with its quirks. Since the only truly correct way to spell Chinese and Japanese names is to use the original characters, you can go ahead and use whichever version of his name you find most comfortable.

R

Hi, can anyone advise as to their experience with using CDJapan before?
I'm looking to buy the Utada Hikaru vinyls from them and want to understand what sort of import fees etc I'm likely to get hit with

It's already rather expensive after shipping already so I want to fully understand as much as I can before jumping in

Hi, can anyone advise as to their experience with using CDJapan before?
I'm looking to buy the Utada Hikaru vinyls from them and want to understand what sort of import fees etc I'm likely to get hit with

It's already rather expensive after shipping already so I want to fully understand as much as I can before jumping in
I've used them plenty of times (they are my go to site for blu rays) and never had a problem. Always packaged well. I've always had my orders marked down as gift (this shows up as you go through the ordering process, I think when you choose what shipping - not 100%) and I've never got charged any customs and this has been on orders over £100, but then I know a very few who have done the same get caught by customs. All I can say is that I've never had to pay customs on anything over ordered from CDJAPAN.

The total amount depends on the number of items ordered - but yes, the cheapest option for small orders to UK/EU is around $30.
Medium or large orders are way cheaper (per item)

If you live in the UK, you should consider checking https://www.up1.co.uk/ - they offer most of Rightstufs Catalogue. Slightly higher prices but way cheaper shipping.

Has anyone had any experience with cancelling early bird orders on Anime On-line (MVM)?

Did you get a refund back on Paypal or did you get a credit slip instead?

I see there's a "Credit slips" link on every page that says "Credit slips you have received after canceled orders." - so I'm guessing that's what happens, but hopefully someone can confirm!

Edit: ...and while I'm asking, has anyone had any experience with the same situation with Alltheanime/Anime Ltd?

Has anyone had any experience with cancelling early bird orders on Anime On-line (MVM)?

Did you get a refund back on Paypal or did you get a credit slip instead?

I see there's a "Credit slips" link on every page that says "Credit slips you have received after canceled orders." - so I'm guessing that's what happens, but hopefully someone can confirm!

Edit: ...and while I'm asking, has anyone had any experience with the same situation with Alltheanime/Anime Ltd?
For MVM you might be best asking them. As for AL they refund you through the payment method you used to order the item.

The total amount depends on the number of items ordered - but yes, the cheapest option for small orders to UK/EU is around $30.
Medium or large orders are way cheaper (per item)
Thanks.

I've order from up1 many times before. What I was looking at works out the same as up1 once you add that $30 shipping. Just wanted to check there wasn't a cheaper shipping option available at rightstuf.

Thanks.

I've order from up1 many times before. What I was looking at works out the same as up1 once you add that $30 shipping. Just wanted to check there wasn't a cheaper shipping option available at rightstuf.
Ordering multiple items at right stuff only slightly increases shipping fees - e.g. 5 items are only $37, 10 items only $47. So finding someone to combine orders might save a lot.
Keep in mind that Rightstuf will add the import VAT later during checkouts (0% for books, 20% for everything else) - whilest UP1 already includes UK VAT.

Another option would be using a forwarder.
https://www.myus.com/ would charge e.g. $15.99 for 2 lbs (+ small extra fee for insurance, and import VAT of course).

Last night was sad. Have hit a wall.
I have spent the last couple of nights watching 1st episodes of the many titles I've bought over the last 3 years.
Trying to find the next great thing.

Ended up getting a box out and putting about 25 titles in that I realize I will probably never watch. With another 25 that I hope I'll watch in the will watch pile.
Looks like after 7 years back into Anime I've got to the point that I'll not buy anything that's not new.
Ended up putting on Vividred Operation and really enjoying the first episode. Again.
Now watching Golgo 13 for the 456 time. Never boring.

Last night was sad. Have hit a wall.
I have spent the last couple of nights watching 1st episodes of the many titles I've bought over the last 3 years.
Trying to find the next great thing.

I think this is definitely something quite a few of us can relate to, as I feel our userbase has a lot of 25+ here. It is something we all eventually come across, once you have watched those awesome series that everybody knows about. You have seen hundreds of series, and then everything else just starts to pale in comparison.

The good thing is, there is always something out there you haven't seen yet. Our tastes change over time, so something you may have brushed aside previously, may be just the ticket at some point in the future (at least, this has happened to me.) Also, the future holds many new and great things.

The best thing is to seek the advice of your fellow watchers. There are many seasoned viewers here and in other places .Everyone has their unique taste, it means that many recommendations won't be what you're looking for. But eventually, one of them will be, and when you find it, it will be extra awesome because of the hard work searching.

I think this is definitely something quite a few of us can relate to, as I feel our userbase has a lot of 25+ here. It is something we all eventually come across, once you have watched those awesome series that everybody knows about. You have seen hundreds of series, and then everything else just starts to pale in comparison.

The good thing is, there is always something out there you haven't seen yet. Our tastes change over time, so something you may have brushed aside previously, may be just the ticket at some point in the future (at least, this has happened to me.) Also, the future holds many new and great things.

The best thing is to seek the advice of your fellow watchers. There are many seasoned viewers here and in other places .Everyone has their unique taste, it means that many recommendations won't be what you're looking for. But eventually, one of them will be, and when you find it, it will be extra awesome because of the hard work searching.
Ever the optimist I cracked under the pressure of MVMs DVD sale.
Little Busters
When they Cry
Hidimara Sketch
The Eccentric Family

Haven't seen them before.

Also Sakura Trick, watched it years ago and remember it fondly but don't know why. Can't refuse £1.99.

Ever the optimist I cracked under the pressure of MVMs DVD sale.
Little Busters
When they Cry
Hidimara Sketch
The Eccentric Family

Haven't seen them before.

Also Sakura Trick, watched it years ago and remember it fondly but don't know why. Can't refuse £1.99.

I do not know these, but I do know When They Cry, as it was my first ever anime when I was 15 years old.

It is seriously awesome. The animation is a bit choppy by today's standards, but is a really classic anime that keeps you guessing and it has a very devoted fanbase for a good reason. I hope you enjoy it!

Back