The Official HdE Does Anime Thread

HdE said:
Still, you guys don't want online drama - you want reviews! So here's one - the first of my reviews to showcase the new format, in fact. In it, I wax lyrical about MORIBITO - GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT.

Linky:
https://youtu.be/BO5n9iJvlSU
Though I haven't actually started it yet, I did get around to picking up Moribito and I've put it around the top of my "to watch" pile (not that positioning on the pile is entirely reliable, it's subject to random changes on a whim). I'm trying to decide if I should watch the video just now or if I should watch the show first to form my own uninfluenced opinion. Always a tough decision.

If it help any, I do generally try to keep reviews spoiler free. Except when they're not, and then I usually give an advance warning.

I would say this, though - if you have yet to watch the show, maybe shoot it to the top of your 'to watch' list and forget about my review (and anyone else's) for now. It's top flight stuff, and seeing it without having any details of it revealed beforehand will definitely make it a more enjoyable experience.

(I've got plenty of older videos you can always watch if you feel the need, anyways!)

HdE said:
If it help any, I do generally try to keep reviews spoiler free. Except when they're not, and then I usually give an advance warning.

I would say this, though - if you have yet to watch the show, maybe shoot it to the top of your 'to watch' list and forget about my review (and anyone else's) for now. It's top flight stuff, and seeing it without having any details of it revealed beforehand will definitely make it a more enjoyable experience.

(I've got plenty of older videos you can always watch if you feel the need, anyways!)
Right o, I'll do what you say and not listen to what you say before watching the show.

I may come back to watch the review later though, hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

Smeelia said:
Right o, I'll do what you say and not listen to what you say before watching the show.

I may come back to watch the review later though, hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

I'm actually kind of jealous that you get to sit down in front of Moribito and have it all be fresh and new to you!

Woo. Feeling rougher than a badger's undercarriage this morning. But that won't stop me from sharing my mealy mouthed anime related opinions on Youtube!

The latest video is already live, and I chose to republish my first ever review this time. It's a picking apart of MADOX 01, which I hope will disprove forever the notion that retro is always best, or that 'old' equates to 'classic'

Here's the link:

And a purty pickcha!
13934741_1136928783030982_2092884401980413562_n.jpg

True fact: a random Youtube moron branded me an 'idiot' on a 'propaganda trip' on seeing this review. Apparently it's much better than the stuff produced in the West. SPOILER: It isn't. Don't you wish some people would just watch better cartoons?

Last edited:
Well, the re-posting of the Madox 01 review has died on its ****. 16 views. Pathetic. So I'm giving the channel a nudge with an advance post of some brand new material. And it's a biggie! I present, for your consideration:

13872741_1140243852699475_4657797455764419185_n.jpg

Click this to see the review.

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how to post a link without embedding the video here? It's better for me if folks visit my Youtube channel itself to view the video.

Channel is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVnBKYo3Lyand2miArsa1Ig

Let's get this one up to a hundred views before the end of the week, eh? And if I could push past 50 subscribers as well, that'd be nice too.

Last edited:
EDIT: Can anyone tell me how to post a link without embedding the video here? It's better for me if folks visit my Youtube channel itself to view the video.

If you go into More Options you'll see the bar that shows a variety of buttons. The 7th button along from the left side is a chain of sorts (next to the Font Family button). This is where you link the URLs. Simply highlight any sort of text, and then click the button and paste the URL.

For example - HdE Does Anime - Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie Review
In the BB Code Editor (top right), it'll look like the URLs that the previous forum used to handle.

Haven't watched the review yet (will do later), but, and stop me if I said this before, have you tried linking the videos on reddit? It's hardly the gateway to fame and fortune, but if you take the time to look for relevant subreddits, it's a decent enough way to pick up a few hits without getting involved in social media mumbo jumbo.

Haven't watched the review yet (will do later), but, and stop me if I said this before, have you tried linking the videos on reddit? It's hardly the gateway to fame and fortune, but if you take the time to look for relevant subreddits, it's a decent enough way to pick up a few hits without getting involved in social media mumbo jumbo.

I appreciate the suggestion, Prof. Reddit's actually a bit of a sore point, because ideally, I'd like to have my very own subreddit there for the channel. Turns out, because of the site's stoopid karma system, I can't do that until I've earned enough points. Reddit doesn't tell you how many karma points you need to post your own subreddits, unhelpfully enough.

I can certainly share videos in related subreddits. I have noticed a trend doing that, though. When some kind soul shares your video on Reddit, folks react enthusiastically. When you share it directly, it's like the masses shrug, mumbling 'another Youtube chancer' and barely bat an eyelid.

Not to be defeatest about sharing stuff there (it definitely does help!) but it can be a bit unpredictable, is what I'm saying. It's something I do already look at when promoting videos, but surprisingly few of the shows or films I've covered actually have an easy to find following on Reddit.

I guess I'm still playing the game of finding out what works.

Last edited:
I'm able to set up a subreddit, if you're interested. I'd be totally hands off, I'd literally make it, make you a Mod or whatever then unmod myself if possible. Let me know if you're interested.

I might be mis-remembering, but I'm sure I remember seeing something about Reddit not allowing promotion of your own videos on there, as I remember even a big anime YouTuber like Digibro getting hit by this and getting permanently banned from Reddit, even though he just happened to post a link or two to a couple of his videos years ago...

Certainly it does seem to vary wildly between subreddits, and I know one of my friends got 'shadowbanned' (whatever that is) from r/horror for upvoting one of my posts after it had been up for a while, but I've not seen any examples where self promotion is an automatic ban.

I appreciate the input on this, folks.

I might be mis-remembering, but I'm sure I remember seeing something about Reddit not allowing promotion of your own videos on there, as I remember even a big anime YouTuber like Digibro getting hit by this and getting permanently banned from Reddit, even though he just happened to post a link or two to a couple of his videos years ago...

Reddit's something I've looked into a fair way, and I've not seen anything as yet in terms and conditions that suggests promoting your own content is forbidden. In interests of full disclosure, I did have somebody to hand who was willing to post and manage a subreddit on my behalf. Unfortunately, they have the same problem as I ran into - not enough of those magical karma points.

Given the anecdotes in the last couple of posts, I'll look into this a bit more. It may be a case of finding which little patches on Reddit are welcoming to such things and which ones aren't.

Quickie update, concerning the expansion onto other social media platforms - I'm now on Pinterest!

You can find my board here:
https://uk.pinterest.com/hdefontslinger/anime-reviews/

I'll update this at the end of every calendar month. Still learning the ropes when it comes to making the content visible, so I'll probably change it up a bit over there in due course.

Toying with the idea of joining Instagram as well, but that just looks like hassle to be honest.

The most offputting thing I find with Instagram is that there doesn't seem to be any way to post things to it without being on a mobile device - I'd be much more inclined to use it if it was desktop compatible.

The most offputting thing I find with Instagram is that there doesn't seem to be any way to post things to it without being on a mobile device - I'd be much more inclined to use it if it was desktop compatible.

That's exactly my beef with it. I don't really want to faff around like that for the minimal benefit a presence over there is likely to bring.

Last edited:
Well, how's this for a positive? I've gone past 50 subscribers, just as I'd hoped!

Also, in yesterday's blur of stuff happening, it slipped my mind to reply to this:

I'm able to set up a subreddit, if you're interested. I'd be totally hands off, I'd literally make it, make you a Mod or whatever then unmod myself if possible. Let me know if you're interested.

That's really very kind of you, Incendiary. I think what I'm going to do is dig a bit deeper into Reddit's T&C's to make sure (as I suspect) such a thing wouldn't be in breach of them. I do post over there occasionally, which seems to bump up that mysterious karma rating, so if I can set up in my own right without involving others, that's ideally what I'd like to do, just to save anyone else the bother. But I appreciate the gesture - and depending on what I find, I might get in touch with you about it later on, if that's cool?

Anyway - time to ramp up my promotion of this week's review, I think! So here I go, off intot he dark recesses of the web, armed to the teeth with links to share!

That's really very kind of you, Incendiary. I think what I'm going to do is dig a bit deeper into Reddit's T&C's to make sure (as I suspect) such a thing wouldn't be in breach of them. I do post over there occasionally, which seems to bump up that mysterious karma rating, so if I can set up in my own right without involving others, that's ideally what I'd like to do, just to save anyone else the bother. But I appreciate the gesture - and depending on what I find, I might get in touch with you about it later on, if that's cool?

That's fine, just let me know :)

Back