The Official HdE Does Anime Thread

Just a quick FYI - there's a tease of an upcoming review on the HdE Does Anime Twitter page. Not saying anything about it here, and it's way's off, but if you want a clue, you know where to look. ;)

Righty - the latest update is live! I've re-posting my old review of STREET FIGHTER II THE MOVIE. You can find it here:

Shout 'HADOKEN!' as you click this, and the video will appear!

14034965_1147617288628798_7136123799980567187_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice vid (the Gundam Evolve video), i like your voice and how you present. However, I feel there should be some quiet music in the background to make it more interesting but also because if you were to cut into a clip from a title you are reviewing, to go from nothing in the background into videos/scene/clips would seem weird.

Nice vid (the Gundam Evolve video), i like your voice and how you present. However, I feel there should be some quiet music in the background to make it more interesting but also because if you were to cut into a clip from a title you are reviewing, to go from nothing in the background into videos/scene/clips would seem weird.

I'm grateful for the suggestion, although enough folks have actually mentioned this particular point to me that I think it's worth explaining:

Using music on Youtube videos is a MAJOR gamble. I've actually advised folks setting up their own channels not to bother with it, as it can cause major copyright issues. Even using the royalty free music Youtube provides is no protection, as the creators of that music can (and do) decide they want money for it at any point. Meaning you can go from a video with no matched third party content / content ID issues to a full blown strike on your account literally overnight.

At one point, my father and I were considering recording some ambient music to loop throughout the videos. But there are so many reports of folks having even their own home made music flagged on Youtube - usually by dubious 'rights enforcement agencies' - that it simply isn't worth the hassle. And this is a problem that's persisting in spite of changes to the content ID system.

There's anther, more personal issue as well. I'm not really a fan of review videos with backing music because of mix issues. I tend to lose patience with reviews where I struggle to hear the voiceover above the backing track. I'd like to think that my time spent mixing music in my 20s would help there, but Sony Movie Studio seems adept at altering sound settings during the final render. So... probably a bundle of frustration I can do without!

Last edited:
Righty - the latest update is live! I've re-posting my old review of STREET FIGHTER II THE MOVIE. You can find it here:
I know I'm late with this, and maybe it's just me, but the link seems to go to the picture rather than the video.

Also in continuing adventures of being late, I did watch your video for Moribito after watching the show. I think you did a pretty good job of explaining the strengths of the show without having to give away any spoilers, that's something I often struggle with and it's kind of impressive that you can do that and still cover the main points in a fairly short video.

Possibly continuing the theme, it's been a while since I first watched Summer Wars so I really should re-watch it to see how I'd feel about it. I think I probably said the same when you originally made your Summer Wars video.

Gundam Evolve sounds kind of interesting but it seems like a bit of a shame that it's not more of a deliberate anthology of stories along similar lines to, say, Batman: Gotham Knight. I think Gundam would probably be a pretty good source for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
I know I'm late with this, and maybe it's just me, but the link seems to go to the picture rather than the video.

So it does! Or rather, so it did. It's fixed now. Thanks, Smeels!

Also in continuing adventures of being late, I did watch your video for Moribito after watching the show. I think you did a pretty good job of explaining the strengths of the show without having to give away any spoilers, that's something I often struggle with and it's kind of impressive that you can do that and still cover the main points in a fairly short video.

And thanks again! I do try to make a point of avoiding spoilers ass much as possible in my reviews. There's a certain school of thought that says these kind of videos are best made for folks who have already seen the material under review. I can sort of see that, as some folks will naturally want the opportunity to discuss their thoughts about a certain show. But I'd rather play the angle of keeping that in mind, but bearing in mind that any anime can be somebody's first.

Gundam Evolve sounds kind of interesting but it seems like a bit of a shame that it's not more of a deliberate anthology of stories along similar lines to, say, Batman: Gotham Knight. I think Gundam would probably be a pretty good source for that kind of thing.

Yeah - it's kind of a weird situation with that release. Where stuff like Gotham Knight, the Animatrix and Halo Legends are all conceived around the idea that the separate stories will be bundled together, I don't think there was ever an initial intent to do that with Evolve.

I'd actually spoken ages back with a few of my comics buddies about putting together an irregular web project to run short Gundam fan comics in an anthology format. the potential to do great things is definitely there. But alas, those Gundams are difficult to draw, and we all have to chase gigs that actually pay money. So it never happened.

ATTENTION ON DECK! This week's video is up.

Click on this innocent looking line of text to be transported to a magical, faraway place where no less than SPACE PIRATES roam the byways of space!

(Stop me if I'm overselling this.)

14192677_1165386286851898_2815704990089117882_n.jpg

This video... oh man, oh man, this video... it's given me so much trouble in the past. Still, this time, I'm hoping it'll STAY uploaded (it's actually the third time it's been re-posted, thanks to one Youtube wrangle or another.)

So, seems like a good time to for a quick reminder: Likes, shares, comments and all of that good stuff are especially appreciated on these republished videos. In truth, I don't expect them to do too well, as they've been aired off once already. But if folks engage with them and watch them, it helps to keep them buoyant in the ever important Youtube search rankings. That means they get seen by more people, and that means I keep making these videos.

Anyways - here it is again! So I hope folks continue to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I think I must have missed the Captain Harlock review previously, although maybe that's because of the issues you had.

I suspect Harlock is probably the sort of thing that I'd kind of want to get around to at some point but it'd be likely to end up being passed over in favour of something else. There's a decent chance I'd get some enjoyment out of it but it's hard to say it'd be quite enough for the time investment.

I suppose maybe I'd be more inclined to consider watching the show if it had a Viking Ninja Harlock episode.

I think I must have missed the Captain Harlock review previously, although maybe that's because of the issues you had.

Yeah. The Yamsters LOVE to claim Harlock related stuff. But it appears I've sent them packing with their tails between their legs, with a little help from changes in Youtube policy. A bigger problem with reviews of Harlock material on Youtube is that they get absolutely buried. There's so much material on the site, including model kit reviews, action figure appraisals and all of that, that it' really tough to get a new video anywheere near the magic top three spaces in the search ranking. Long story short, I'll be amazed if this video ever gets to a hundred views.

I suspect Harlock is probably the sort of thing that I'd kind of want to get around to at some point but it'd be likely to end up being passed over in favour of something else. There's a decent chance I'd get some enjoyment out of it but it's hard to say it'd be quite enough for the time investment.

I suppose maybe I'd be more inclined to consider watching the show if it had a Viking Ninja Harlock episode.

No viking ninjas on the Arcadia, sadly. But you do get to see Harlock as a cowboy and Doctor Zero as a Samurai. So there's that!

I think the show is definitely worth a look. No idea if anyone's streaming it legally, but that might be a good way to sample it. If the idea of Harlock appeals more than the hokey '70s execution, though, I'd recommend checking out the more recent Shinji Aramaki movie. Or springing for Arcadia of My Youth when Discotek put that out.

Reviews of both are virtually guaranteed at some point, despite the inevitably crap-tastic views they'll get.

I own discoteks Harlock release and liked it lots. I'm looking forward to getting Arcadia of my Youth.

I have to say Harlock is a patient man as i wanted to smack Tadashi from the first episode.

I have to say Harlock is a patient man as i wanted to smack Tadashi from the first episode.

I don't think he's THAT bad. I mean, no worse than your average 'young man tagging along with a sullen space pirate to avenge this father's murder' type character. Yattaran, though... oh man, would that guy be going out of the nearest airlock on MY space galleon!

Ooh, it's got music and everything.

I don't know if you can call it a trailer if it doesn't spoil the best bits and make you feel like you've seen everything already.

Ooh, it's got music and everything.

I don't know if you can call it a trailer if it doesn't spoil the best bits and make you feel like you've seen everything already.

Well, I'm old school like that!

I'm kicking myself that I didn't use more Zimmerhorn or channel the late Don Fontaine in the voiceover.

Well, it appears I got so carried away with the excitement of my channel trailer a little way back that I forgot to post that week's review! So I've got not one but TWO updates to share today. The eagle eyed among you will have spotted these as they went up on the channel, but I figure it's good to throw them in here for posterity.

Last week's review was the last one I butted heads with YAM112003 over, before I sent their 'Youtube Expert' packing from the site. Apparently, this one;s very popular in Italy. Who knew? It's MAZINGER EDITION Z - THE IMPACT!

Here's a picture, for those requiring visual stimulation:
14317426_1171048756285651_4814271223027493247_n.jpg

This week's scheduled review is a re-post of one that did well on my old channel. BEHOLD MY SEXY VOICE! It's my review of the DIRTY PAIR OVAS.

14333694_1178637192193474_6154296969577622411_n.jpg

(I have no idea why the images come out at different sizes - they're both formatted exactly the same. Oh, well...)

Last edited:
Quickie update on how the channel is doing, for those who are interested. There's been a lot of weighing up of how things are progressing at this end lately, which all factors into how much time I can spend creating content for the channel. The really good news is that I'm seeing a lot of very positive developments recently that indicate the channel is proving a worthwhile endeavour.

I figure it might be worth re-posting some info I put up on the channel's Facebook page a few weeks back, though. A few folks have asked me of late how they can best support the channel, and to that end, I figure it's a good idea to share some insights about how Youtube works.

Somebody recently told me that they click on my videos and watch them for a few seconds even if they don't have time to watch the whole thing. Somebody else told me that they sometimes put one of my videos on a loop to run on their tablet while they were doing their housework. I really appreciate that this comes from a place of wanting to help out... but PLEASE don't do this! It hurts my channel!

I'll explain why:

Youtube actually uses data pertaining to the percentage of a video that gets watched each time to determine where that video will appear in search rankings. So, watching half of a video doesn't benefit it as much as watching the whole thing. It's not the only factor Youtube considers, but I'm reliably told it's a big one.

Looping videos over and over is also - according to Youtube support - likely to see the views categorised as 'low quality views'. They may even be removed from the video's stats. And that can lead to them being pushed down in search rankings. It's also really demoralising to see a video abruptly lose a half dozen views.

You may wonder why search rankings are a big deal. Well, it's because a video that places higher in these is more visible, and therefore more likely to attract fresh views from other folks browsing the site. I'm always aiming to get my material onto the first page in Youtube's search results. Many folks won't bother looking further than that. Some won't look any further than the top five results.

As I say, I get that folks who have done this have done it with the best intentions. But there are better ways to help if you really want to. Most of all, I just want folks to enjoy the reviews. But sharing a video on social media always helps. As does whitelisting the channel in your ad blocker. My ad revenue is steadily increasing as folks cotton on to the fact that they can do that. An unfortunate reality is that I can't keep making these videos without funding the venture somehow, and as time passes and the channel (hopefully) continues to grow, that will only become a greater concern. I have some ideas there, but until my subscriber base increases SUBSTANTIALLY, it's not worth putting those into action.

Cheers to EVERYBODY who already supports the channel, watches my reviews and engages with them - either here or over on Youtube. Here's hoing the tribe increases. But for now, know that I appreciate you all very much!

Finally got around to checking out the Mazinger review last night - the lack of catering to newcomers reminded me a lot of my own experience with the 2001 Mazinkaiser oavs, but given how positive you were about Impact, I feel a bit guilty for not having persevered more with 'kaiser. I would admit to having picked up Mazinkaiser mainly on the strength of its brilliant theme tune, and completely failing to get past the first episode after realising that it was clearly a sequel rather than anything stand alone.

The only other part of the franchise I've seen was Mazinkaiser SKL, but that is pretty much entirely its own entity.

Back