The Official HdE Does Anime Thread

HdE

Comic Book Guy
ALRIGHT! It's time to properly get the ball rolling!

Those few of you who have been waiting for my Brainjar TV channel to resume can rest easy now, because I've got some news to share. Brainjar TV is DONE. It's finished. BUT... HdE Does Anime launches within a matter of DAYS!

(Yes, I know it's demoralising to contemplate that Brexit might make anime unaffordable as we look forward to toiling in a living hell of servitude under our Tory overlords, but at least we can REMEMBER! And use ALL CAPS with WANTON ABANDON!)

Some of you may already be aware, but I decided to kill my old channel and start a brand new one, in hopes of building on what I've learned up to this point. IAnd I'm happy to share that I've already seen some hopeful signs that I should have a much smoother ride this time.

You can find the channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVnBKY ... 2miArsa1Ig
(There's already one of my older reviews posted there.)

And - in a SHOCKING TWIST - theres also a Twitter account. So if you're so inclined, search for 'HdE Does Anime' over there. I'll be posting updates there as well as here.

I'm also in the process of re-branding the Facebook page, which is proving trickier than expected. But the plan is to make sure the channel is represented wherever I can pimp it out.

I'll be uploading weekly reviews for the foreseeable, which will be a mix of the old stuff fom Brainjar TV as well as newer, shinier, sexier content.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited:
AND, WE ARE OFFICIALLY GREEN FOR GO!

Yep, today is the day. I'm officially open for business, and this week's review is a re-upload of my old review of MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM OO - A WAKENING OF THE TRAILBLAZER.

Here's the link:
https://youtu.be/FRAekiN5EcA

And a pretty picture:

13612369_1115926031797924_9160051798662585427_n.jpg

Keep your eyes peeled for weekly updates, which will be a mix of the old and the new to begin with. There might even be a few surprises.

She looks better in motion, but I feel there's something slightly uncanny valley unsettling about Deunan in that thumbnail. Apparently I was not subscribed to the new channel - have remedied that.

Cheers, Prof!

It might actually be worth any and all regular viewers checking that they're subscribed to the new channel. I'm retiring the old one. Or possibly using it as a back up in case of any unforeseen woes.

As for Appleseed Alpha... yeah. I wish the movie could live up to its looks.

Such is my dedication to my viewers (pfft! YEAH!) that I've got this week's video up before I've even had my breakfast.

I'm still uploading older material for the remainder of July, but I think folks will agreethey waanted to see this one again. It's my old review of BERSERK - THE BATTLE FOR DOLDREY:

Link:
https://youtu.be/yboof7yEbBE

Guts looking like a suave bastard:
13659052_1125247664199094_1058396518643779273_n.jpg

Animefreak17 said:
i subbed ya buddy

il help ya out if you ever need it

Cheers, AF!

Honestly, the best thing anyone can do to help right now is to direct folks to my channel. Even a link on Facebook helps.

The big uphill battle right now is going to be to regain the subscriber base I had. (I've sent out notifications and even posted a video update on my old channel. Seems a waste of time as most people are either not reading the mail or not watching the video. Go figure.)

One thing I'm trying to do is get a bit of traction on Twitter, as that seems a good platform for growing an audience. If anyone wants to sign up and follow there, just search for 'HdE Does Anime'.

Bottom line, no views and no revenue will ultimately mean no more reviews. But that's the very worst case scenario. I'm hopeful that, in time, this channel can develop into a good 'un.

Righty - bit of a change up happening.

I'm reliably informed that Monday is the day that new Youtube videos die on their ****. So I'm scrapping my policy of uploading on a Monday and going back to my original schedule of updating on Thursdays instead. Each new video will go live at 6:00PM UK time.

AND! AND! AND! These means I'll be able to run some BRAND NEW, PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN AND UNSULLIED-BY-HUMAN-HANDS content next Thursday.
(There WERE actually behind the scenes reasons why this wasn't neccesarily the plan before, which I'd explain, but won't, because they're BORING.)

Gah! Best laid plans.

Yam112003 are back up to their old tricks, and placed a claim on a video literally days before it was due to go live on Thursday. So plans have changed slightly to accommodate my kicking their arses again. I'll win, never fear.

Still, you guys don't want online drama - you want reviews! So here's one - the first of my reviews to showcase the new format, in fact. In it, I wax lyrical about MORIBITO - GUARDIAN OF THE SPIRIT.

Linky:
https://youtu.be/BO5n9iJvlSU

13775341_1131222190268308_3007347732546330385_n.jpg

Strangely, I seem to be getting video errors when I try to watch this one - it's like the picture is scrambled, even though the sound is fine. When I tried it on my ipad last night, it started around the five and a half minute mark, when I tried it on the desktop today, the same thing happened, but not until 7 minutes. If I scroll along the youtube timeline, the preview image also seems to suggest the video is there, despite me not being able to see it. Nobody else seems to have commented to that effect, so I don't know, maybe it's just me.

On a more basic level, I feel embarrassed that I don't actually own Moribito - it's something I've been meaning to watch for ages, but never got around to. I'm quite intrigued to see it in the dub, as frankly I could listen to Mary Elizabeth McGlyn reading the phone book.

Professor Irony said:
Strangely, I seem to be getting video errors when I try to watch this one - it's like the picture is scrambled, even though the sound is fine. When I tried it on my ipad last night, it started around the five and a half minute mark, when I tried it on the desktop today, the same thing happened, but not until 7 minutes. If I scroll along the youtube timeline, the preview image also seems to suggest the video is there, despite me not being able to see it. Nobody else seems to have commented to that effect, so I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I just tried re-watching the video on my laptop, and this happened exactly as you described at the five minute mark. Strange.

Nobody else has mentioned this, so I'll wait and see if it rights itself. Could be an issue with Youtube itself. If anyone else is having issues with it, I'll have to re-upload it. I'll be reluctant to do that, though, as it'll mean losing loads of comments and likes.

Professor Irony said:
On a more basic level, I feel embarrassed that I don't actually own Moribito - it's something I've been meaning to watch for ages, but never got around to. I'm quite intrigued to see it in the dub, as frankly I could listen to Mary Elizabeth McGlyn reading the phone book.

Buuuuyyy iiiiit! (Although, if you do, you might be a little disappointed, as Mary McGlynn's nowhere to be seen / heard in it. Mind you, you do get Cindy Robinson. Which is a good trade.)

Well now, this is strange!

I've had an email from Youtube Creator Support (who are about to find out teh fulllength and breadth of Yam112003's misdeeds now that I've got them - wont that be fun?) about the video playback issue Professr Irony reported.

It looks like this could be browser specific, or possibly down to video drivers. A few folks have told me that they've had no issues watching the Moribito review on their phones or desktop PCs, which is interesting. I just downloaded Google Chrome to see if it made a ifference - and it does! I still get the video glitch later in the video, though.

It turns out theres one thing I DID glean from this, though. Apparently the format I'm uploading in (WMV) isn't the best, so I need to use MP4s in future. What's bizarre is that I've had no issues like this in the past.

As I say - if anybody else is having difficulties, or finds that one browser works better than another, let me know. I'm keen to make sure this isn't a regular issue.

WMV is what I used to use as well, but can't say I remember having any problems with it on youtube. If you can move to MP4 though, that's probably for the best - I think it's the most practical in terms of quality/file size ratio.

Professor Irony said:
WMV is what I used to use as well, but can't say I remember having any problems with it on youtube. If you can move to MP4 though, that's probably for the best - I think it's the most practical in terms of quality/file size ratio.

Ive been using WMV fr convenience of size - it literally shaves hundreds of megs off some of my videos. I know Youtube seems to get on better with MPEGs, though. Might have to make it the subject of some experimentation.

A little under-the-radar update here:

It appears that the video glitching problem on the Moribito review has fixed itself now. But lo - one problem disappears, and up springs some drama!

I found one of YAM12003's employees - their so-called 'Youtube expert' on their own channel. Having had no luck getting them to communicate with me via ANY channels whatsoever, I decided I would post something on her wall to let people know what her affiliation was to YAM112003, and why that network is bad news.

That got a response! Apparently, I am 'bullying' her by posting my comment. Aw diddums. WHAT ABOUT THE CHANNELS YOUR COMPANY HAS STOLEN REVENUE FROM AND HARASSED WITH MULTIPLE FALSE CONTENT ID CLAIMS? WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT I FELT IT NECESSARY TO WIND DOWN MY LAST CHANNEL BECAUSE OF YAM112003'S CONSTANT CONTENT ID ABUSE? Oh, please, tell me more about how posting an even handed and researched comment on your page is 'bullying.' Cry me a frigging river!

She's since either closed her Youtube channel or blocked me from it, without giving me a chance to respond to her. To be fair, she claims to be leaving the company next month. I'll keep an eye on her LinkedIn page and see if it changes accordingly, though - as frankly, I don't believe a single word anyone from the company says.

It'll be interesting to see if this escalates any further. I've complained multiple times to Youtube about the network and never once had a response. I've never once had a reply from anyone at YAM112003 to any any attempt at direct communication before, either.

Irony much?

Back