The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Thank you for sharing this, @Ian Wolf - and I can only say: that explains quite a lot of things! :rolleyes: I can only hope that we'll be advised how to proceed in the UK if we subscribe to both (as many of us do).
Pretty much cancel your Funimation subscription. No new content, other than for ongoing series, is being added to Funimation Now after the end of this season. Funimation will also cease to exist as an entity with Funimation being rolled into Crunchyroll LLC.

It appears that new anime will only be coming to CR going forwards and they're even recommending to ending your Funimation subscription.
I'm going to keep my Funimation subscripton active for a few months yet to be sure Crunchyroll can handle a large influx of new members, and they get any other bugs worked out. Plus, the bandwidth available for streaming on Funi should be amazing after most of the other members have left!

Last edited:
Pretty much cancel your Funimation subscription. No new content, other than for ongoing series, is being added to Funimation Now after the end of this season. Funimation will also cease to exist as an entity with Funimation being rolled into Crunchyroll LLC.
I'm clicking 'Like' for your good advice but I'm wondering how (as many Funi-only series are currently being uploaded to Crunchyroll even as I type) this is going to go over the next few weeks...

This is a surprise, given FUNimation brought Crunchyroll I assumed Crunchy would fold into FUNimation, not the other way around. I can only assume that CR has the bigger established subscriber base so it's an easier job?

Either way if it works out then less money coming out monthly sounds good to me!

I think we should tally the amount of anime and genres per season for the last few years for both CR and Funi. Then compare those numbers and associated genres when it's just CR.

If the overall numbers are lower per season with just CR compared to when CR and Funi were competing then we're worse off from this merger.

Well if it's any indication I'm watching 17 shows this season 3 are Funi and 1 HiDive! I think it'll be fine. I think there was only one season I can recall in the last 4 years where Funi had more, I'm guessing it was somewhere between the previous deal they had finishing and before Sony bought CR.

It seems odd that they're advising people to drop their Funi subscriptions when there's no confirmation on whether all Funi's licences will be ported over, or how long that would take. "The most popular" shows on Funi are likely to be the ones I care least about, so I'll hold onto both subscriptions until I see how they're handling the back catalogue. Maybe it was just poor wording by the person on Twitter, but it did sound like they don't expect people to care about any show that's not simulcasting new episodes right now.

I'd say, if you're watching a show currently airing (or a dub from this season) on their service, then you may want to continue for now. Also, nothing has been mentioned on some other things on Funi's service. Shows like Heaven Officials Blessing (or really just the Donghua Funimation licensed) haven't been mentioned to my knowledge.

Also, you may want to check if the show is fully tooled on CR as well. Some shows have translated signs and on screen text on CR, but I have seen cases of no sign subs at all, making for a worse experience then on Funimation.

I'm paid up until autumn anyway but I've cancelled my renewal. This is great news for me; a bunch of stuff is never accessible anyway but now I'm paying half as much and can reinvest that money in a different service or something else. The chaos of trying to work out which service each of our scattered shows airs on every time we sit down to watch something drives my partner crazy. I do hope that the Chinese shows continue to be picked up, though (and with their original language, because I prefer not to watch those shows dubbed into Japanese and Crunchyroll tends to favour that approach).

R

Last edited:
Back