The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

While there are few people as cheerfully optimistic as olde Lunatico here, I have some reservations about this new UY series.

Obviously it's amazing that this is even happening and I will be keeping a close eye on it, but UY is such a product of its time that I feel any modern incarnation is going to compare unfavourably to the early 80s Oshii/Ito material in particular. The '08 OVA was pretty dire.

Still, as a UY fan of over 25 years, it's hard not to feel some excitement at this news.

Hell yeah! I wonder which studio will be making it. I've been thinking for years that the team at Studio Pierrot who worked on Osomatsu-san would be a good fit for a UY reboot.
I read a rumour somewhere on Twitter that it could be one of David Production's projects.

That said, I'm very curious to see this adaptation especially since we have different VAs this time (Araragi & Nagatoro VAs are voicing the main two leads).

I'm hoping that, even if nothing else comes of it, it might encourage someone to try and officially release the original TV series in English.
The hope has been that sales of the movies will be good enough for Discotek to consider licensing the rest of it. I'm not sure if this new announcement makes that more or less likely to happen; will renewed interest push up the original's licensing cost, for example, or will a bigger distributor decide there's potentially money to be made?

That said, I'm very curious to see this adaptation especially since we have different VAs this time (Araragi & Nagatoro VAs are voicing the main two leads).
Nothing against those actors but it just won't be the same for me without Toshio Furukawa in particular. I can't imagine anyone else voicing Ataru.

...it's kind of insane that I'm even typing this stuff in 2022.

Obviously it's amazing that this is even happening and I will be keeping a close eye on it, but UY is such a product of its time that I feel any modern incarnation is going to compare unfavourably to the early 80s Oshii/Ito material in particular.
If they go the Sailor Moon Crystal route and make a painstakingly faithful adaptation of the manga, I could see it being a bit dry as a modern production. On the other hand, UY pre-dates the modern codifying of anime character archetypes, which could ironically make a literal adaptation feel relatively fresh.

I worry that they might start overlaying modern anime tropes instead, turning Lum or Shinobu into overt yandere, etc. And is it going to be Attack of the Light Shafts when Ataru yanks Lum's bra off in the first episode?

read a rumour somewhere on Twitter that it could be one of David Production's projects.
They've generally done a good job of manga adaptations, but they're not a studio I associate with comedy. This would be uncharted waters for them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wasn’t unduly aware of any deficiencies in Stone Ocean, but it wouldn’t surprise me, especially in the current circumstances with staff shortages likely. It’s unfortunate, but I suppose being handed something so iconic as UY isn’t something to be taken lightly.

CLAMP’s Ohkawa has just held a Twitter space in which she said that Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card is entering its final stage and reaching its climax.

I'm not really at all in favour of a anime companies belonging to one megacorporation even if means less region locking, because they always make redundancies of staff they feel that they don't need multiple of the same role. For instance corporations that acquire other corporations often make most of the HR, admin, etc redundant in the acquired companies as they feel that less staff can do the same thing for both companies than keeping them all.

The same may also apply to the people who seek out licenses for products to release. Sentai and Funimation may have different tastes when it comes to anime to license, but if they're both owned by Sony then they may have a dedicated group within this collective who decides what kind of anime to license.

This results in an overall reduction in variety in anime licensed and released here rather than an increase, because before Sentai and Funimation were competing for licenses instead of only going for select few that one group wants.

Back