The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

[quoted post has been deleted]

I couldn’t really care less what they thought of the film (which... they didn’t actually bother to share besides a star rating) but I must respectfully disagree. It’s a genuinely terrible review and I think anyone interested in reviewing should take note of why. Let’s just examine its structure:

[disclaimer the reviewer is not familiar with the franchise]
[physical description of the characters]
[they liked the animation] < Hey! An opinion!
[brief plot synopsis]
[half-hearted attempt to link the plot to current affairs]

A good review, imho, should be close to a 1:1 mixture of description and personal opinion. This was like 9:1 in favour of description with almost NO opinion and also bafflingly short. Like, so short your middle school English teacher would mark you down for low effort. What’s the point of reviewing if not to explain what you liked/didn’t like about something and why? Where in this review did the writer do that? They didn’t.

Edit: If I seem a bit annoyed, it’s because I normally try not to be too critical of things I couldn’t do a better job of, but I know for an absolute fact I could write a better review than this one, written by someone who is employed by a national newspaper specifically to do so. I think any of the reviewers here on AUKN could do a better job, and they don’t get paid (unless anything’s changed, if so pls let me back in @chaos)

Last edited by a moderator:

We can if you like (I’ve just edited my post because I know I sounded a bit angry) but I’ve explained why I thought it was bad and I’d be interested to know what you thought was good about it, in that spirit of reviewing the review :p

I expect to see similar reviews from Dutch mainstream media in the coming weeks, maybe even next week due to loosening of COVID restrictions. Doesn't help that the series isn't being streamed here, so the only way to watch is via piracy/imports/vpn.
Cinemas in Ireland reopen now next Monday, June 7th, hopefully Funimation are able to schedule screenings for soon after that.

I do of course respect your right to post or not as you see fit, but the last thing I would want is for people to not feel able to share their opinions, especially if they’re controversial. So I’m sorry that my post had that effect, it was far from intentional. I always post with the intention of provoking debate, not stifling it.

I do of course respect your right to post or not as you see fit, but the last thing I would want is for people to not feel able to share their opinions, especially if they’re controversial. So I’m sorry that my post had that effect, it was far from intentional. I always post with the intention of provoking debate, not stifling it.
Certainly nothing wrong with have differing opinions and a respectful exchange on them. I'm in the majority on the review not being good, but very good point on how it shows how the mainstream view anime, even if it makes no difference to, nor surprises, me heh (especially when I'm reminded at home when I'm off watching "cartoons" again...)

Stopped reading when they said hadn't watched the series. Pointless "Review".

There are a number of valid criticisms of that review, but I'm unconvinced that's one of them. I wouldn't have expected The Guardian to go out of their way to find a reviewer who had seen the series. What would have been the point? If you've seen the series then in all likelihood a review in The Guardian isn't going to change whether or not you go and see it. They're targeting a different demographic.

I imagine most people who've seen the series would probably give the film higher than 3 stars so I think thats a little unfair on the film. (Haven't seen it yet, just basing off the manga and other reviews I've seen)

I can't see any non Demon Slayer fan reading this very short 3/5 review and wanting to go and see it personally.

I imagine most people who've seen the series would probably give the film higher than 3 stars so I think thats a little unfair on the film. (Haven't seen it yet, just basing off the manga and other reviews I've seen)

I can't see any non Demon Slayer fan reading this very short 3/5 review and wanting to go and see it personally.

They have to review it the way they see it, and if they haven't seen the series or read the manga, they have to review it as a stand alone feature, and quite frankly, the majority of the people reading that review will be in the same position. That makes it useful to the target readership.

I do not get why it did so well (I know desperation for cinemas probably is the reason yet we got to pretend COVID had nothing to with it) as yes I doubt its very good to someone who doesnt like shonen or anime in general. COVID is why I havent seen it yet but what Indian Variant we got tickets to sell and in Japan an olympics to host.

Its more the ignoring it thats getting on my nerves if people want to go fine, their choice but me not feeling safe is also my choice pretending this is like when Weathering with You launched is what is annoying me. Launch events etc we are even near normality yet. And sorry FUNi or AL aren't selling it to me. I was considering to see VE whenever AL launched it but their cringey Lupin adverts made me decide nope. (also if showcase is a 1000% no because I aint travelling 40 mins for a film in this climate).

London comic con is back this year in October and I'd like to but I've got a £500 pre order coming in August so I'm not sure if will be able to go.

Back