The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

So wait they're gobbling up even more studios? I already knew/had an inkling that SAC45 was a Netflix thing, just makes it look like the future of the anime industry is Netflix, which would actually suck for western viewers since they get them so late

And knowing Netflix ghost in the shell sac2045 won't get a disk release and I've said this before on Reddit Netflix is a curse hell all steaming is because it looks like the media industry wants to go streaming only and video games as a service which Microsoft are pushing with their next console.

Am I misunderstanding this? Netflix aren't actually acquiring these studios are they? Just throwing money at them to make things. Fair enough that it effects physical release availability but the industry itself not so much or am I missing something?
Physical releases are out for Castlevania and Knights of Sidonia and a few other partnerships they've had. I just don't see how it has a negative affect on anything other than rival streaming services like Crunchyroll. This could always be an opportunity for AL and the like to shift Netflix's attitude towards physical media. Obviously it wouldn't be in the immediate but when is it ever for this country? Like everything else they'd trial it in the US first.
video games as a service which Microsoft are pushing with their next console.
Microsoft aren't the first to try for that. It's not gonna happen until EVERYONE has decent broadband speed, but remember that they consider the majority of their customer base to be located in the US. Some of the worst broadband offerings are over there and they're more likely to have Google restart the Google Fibre thing and then get in bed with them to roll it out. Internets too crap otherwise. PlayStation have PSNow (which has limited offerings as I'm sure people know) and UbiSoft, EA and Steam are all sacking it off now their CEOs have been told to shutup and make more DLC.

Back