The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I just thought "Yuri on Ice always wins" was a kind of meme going around since it won a stupid amount of awards in the CR awards. Still find it funny how it won best animation when Flip Flappers and Mob Psycho 100 were in the same category.

This is also the same year Sound! Eupho S2 came out and didn't even get a nomination...

While the animation for Liz is certainly good the point is that Eupho S2 is a 2016 series that didn't make it into the nominations for best animation while a series like Yuri on Ice (which does have some good animation tbf) won instead.

Yeah I didnt say it should have. Mob should have then again S2 is even better than S1 so maybe it should win now.
But I never mentioned animation I mention AOTY, Animation is peoples fall back category cos its easy to argue against YOI....
This whole moaning about it is why I thought YOI wasn't popular I still dont feel it is, because it always gets criticised in equal measure. Re:0 never got criticised half as much as that was the other big 2016 show I remember.

Oh I thought the topic had shifted to the actual animation side of things. My mistake. Even so the animation category was a mess. I like the show but any of the three other nominations should have won imo.

But yeah the discourse around that series was a sight to see. I have no strong feelings about the series but it really didn't deserve all that.

HMV chain saved but some stores will close
Wonder what the fate of HMVPure will be?
I know they’ll have to shut down some stores so I wonder if my local will go
I'm really nearvous about three things - which stores will close (I visit about 6 different ones so the likihood that one will close)
will PureHMV get restated? (I still have points)
and will pricing go up? (I love the muti-buys)
Lets see what happens. Me and My Brother were really uneasy of the thought of HMV closing, but now I'm so glad it isn't!

I reckon the ones in major cities and shopping centres will stay open, but ones in smaller areas (I.e my local Harlow one) will likely go.

PureHMV (or HMVPure as I keep on calling it) I can see them just discontinuing, but I’d be very happy if they honoured existing points.

Pricing is an interesting one, surely if they want to stay in business and not repeat history for a third time then they’ll need to price competitively. Sales like their Arrow 5 for £30 one must bring in a fair amount, so I hope they continue them.

What I want them to change are those horrendous security tags that damage the boxes.

Last edited:
They’ll keep the profitable ones open, which might not necessarily be the ones people imagine - High rents and rates in big shopping centres and major cites (a massive problem for high street retailers with our overvalued property market) sometimes means smaller or more provincial stores are actually more profitable. Fingers crossed for my local anyway. A staff member in my HMV suggested keeping reciepts in case the Pure card scheme starts up again, which might be a good sign.

Good news that HMV is saved apart from the 455 redundancies. The more competition for Amazon the better.
This. HMV were my go to for all the Arrow LEs and most LEs in general but I had to go to Amazon for Waterworld and their packaging is naff compared to HMV.

I do always compare prices and now Zoom (and obv like AL and MVM for anime) most of the time now Amazon is just for books these days and presents as I’m usually last minute

Our household use Amazon a lot, but mainly for practical things. Any physical media I tend to get elsewhere unless I have a lot of vouchers (so my recent KH III purchase.) My Dad buys a lot of cheap compilation albums from them but tends to buy directly from the bands’ store when there’s an exclusive or he just wants to support them.

Back