The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

It seems to have split opinion a lot - personally I really enjoyed it and thought it had some fun characters in it, but if you hate generic harem type shows you might want to steer clear. It's very fan service centric too.

I think a better piece of phrasing would be "if you're the kind of person who would dismiss it as a generic harem show, then don't bother". It's a cut above, imo, much more in the spirit of Bakemonogatari than, say, Highschool DxD.

Lawrence said:
No way, Saekano was part of the Noitamina block? I thought it was just a 2nd rate romcom adapted as a cash grab or something. If it gets Maes seal of approval as well, I guess I don't have much choice but to go back and check it out.
Noitamana has always aired mass market ticks to fund their riskier tocks.

When they can be bothered to tock, mind. It seemed like a good while we had nothing but Fractale (IE: The Lucky Star Bad Director Dood's directroial suicide), Guilty Crown (a resounding meh) and [C] (a load of sound and fury, signifying nothing).

I'm not sure I'd put it quite in the same league as Monogatari.

I think a lot of the trouble/split opinion with the show stems from the fact it can be taken as being very meta in its analysis of harem show/otaku tropes, whilst equally throughly indulging in those tropes itself. So you can either say 'this is a very generic harem show', or 'oh, it's so clever, it's dismantling and analysing all the tropes of a generic harem show'.

Personally, I don't think the show is anywhere near as clever as it thinks it is or clearly wants to be - but I think it's a well-made piece of entertainment though, and as the viewer, you can decide which of the two approaches to take it as.

Guessing/hoping that'll go down to less than £100 via Amazon by time of release. Didn't Anime Ltd's Gurren Lagann release start off at about the same?

If anything, part of me thinks this'll actually sell better because it *is* a limited edition, and people will be driven to order early due to fear of missing out when perhaps they might have waited a bit otherwise.

Lutga said:
Guessing/hoping that'll go down to less than £100 via Amazon by time of release. Didn't Anime Ltd's Gurren Lagann release start off at about the same?

If anything, part of me thinks this'll actually sell better because it *is* a limited edition, and people will be driven to order early due to fear of missing out when perhaps they might have waited a bit otherwise.

Yeah, it should go down to 90 odd, maybe even 80 odd like GL if we're lucky :D

I believe it'll sell well (I would very much like more of these so it bloody better!) Like..if it's a big seller in the States thus selling out quickly, people will import the UK version so win/win there...
Gonna have to quickly get my order in.

With Amazon discounts I imagine about £90-£95. Which is about what it costs from TRSI before any shipping / exchange rate charges. Consider it bought!

£120 huh? MVM have a standard 25% pre-order discount on their site, so it will be £90 if you buy it direct. Experience suggests that Amazon will be a mite cheaper, especially as the pre-order price will wobble until release. £80 would be expected, maybe even as low as £75, but the week before release it will be up to £88.

Anything above £80 is too much for my budget to handle, so I'll most likely be giving this a pass. It doesn't help that it's so close to the Nadia release date (and probably Baccano from the look of things).

I like the idea of that set in principle and I really hope it does well, but I need to see the show first to find out if I like it enough to warrant spending that much money on it.

I'm pretty sure Gurren Lagann was £149 srp and topped out pre order at around £80 so I get see Amazon lowering it to £70 possibly even £60...

So, there are some rumblings about the EU pushing for a 'single digital market' > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32 ... um=twitter

Would be interesting to see, if this goes ahead, how it would potentially impact on anime licensing? Would this ease the disparity between what gets released in France and the UK for example, if one company just has to pick up the rights for 'the EU as a whole'?

Lutga said:
So, there are some rumblings about the EU pushing for a 'single digital market' > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32 ... um=twitter

Would be interesting to see, if this goes ahead, how it would potentially impact on anime licensing? Would this ease the disparity between what gets released in France and the UK for example, if one company just has to pick up the rights for 'the EU as a whole'?

I was wondering the same thing. I just can't see how they can do it with licensing. Unless the company licensing therodyct is forced to buy the European rights. If that's the case, can they afford to.

New trailer for Ghibli's When Marnie Was There from Madman. I love that Marnie is totally rocking the ojousama tube curls:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lutga said:
I'm not sure I'd put it quite in the same league as Monogatari.

I think a lot of the trouble/split opinion with the show stems from the fact it can be taken as being very meta in its analysis of harem show/otaku tropes, whilst equally throughly indulging in those tropes itself. So you can either say 'this is a very generic harem show', or 'oh, it's so clever, it's dismantling and analysing all the tropes of a generic harem show'.
I'm pretty sure I covered that by saying people could either misinterpret the show (as in your first example), or agree with me (as in your second example). :p

In either case (let's assume I'm allowing for the chance I might be wrong), I still would place the "genre" part of "generic" firmly in "modern harem" rather than just "harem".

Back