The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I'm still kind of bummed that Madman canceled the Season 2 Blu Ray set. I plan on importing Season 1 and 2 on Blu Ray eventually despite owning the Manga DVDs for Season 1 and 2 already and I'd much prefer a complete box as opposed to 2 singles. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'm still kind of bummed that Madman canceled the Season 2 Blu Ray set. I plan on importing Season 1 and 2 on Blu Ray eventually despite owning the Manga DVDs for Season 1 and 2 already and I'd much prefer a complete box as opposed to 2 singles. Not that it makes a huge amount of difference.

I'm in the same boat as you. The show looks amazing on Blu Ray, the difference in quality when watching the DVD's then the Movie on Blu Ray was outstanding.

Dannielle said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

I'm in the same boat as you. The show looks amazing on Blu Ray, the difference in quality when watching the DVD's then the Movie on Blu Ray was outstanding.

I'm with you there. I was contemplating getting the DVD of the movie as the blu ray used to be a quite a bit more expensive than the DVD but man it was worth every penny. The film is absolutely beautiful. I'll probably end up importing both seasons when my Birthday comes around in a couple of months.

theirsbailiff said:
Lutga said:
So, there are some rumblings about the EU pushing for a 'single digital market' > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32607246
I think this is one of those situations where Kaze have an advantage; everyone else in the industry is most likely would have to start making deals with continental European Anime licensing companies in both the digital and physical sectors while Kaze can just do whatever.
Anime Limited are also active in France.

I'm actually kinda pleased to see some proper movement from Manga Entertainment again. I mean, I have zero interest in K-On! but at least they're still in play.

Not to turn this into another rant thread but I do find it frustrating re. Manga's line that BR's aren't always economic for them - fair enough, but with the market becoming more niche, this becomes an increasingly alienating line. The casual Naruto/Bleach DVD only audience of ten years ago is dying off and sells a fraction of what it used to. BR buyers are the loyals that are left, and it doesn't really keep them in your good books by not supporting them.

That said, I don't know if a BR was ever planned or allowed for K-On, but considering KyoAni's prestige it seems like an obvious candidate for one.

HdE said:
I'm actually kinda pleased to see movement from Manga Entertainment again. I mean, I have zero interest in K-On! but at least they're still in play.
Wouldn't get my hopes up yet. They haven't announced any of their own "new" licences since Jerome and co left.

If I am not mistaken DBZ Kai was already part of their Dragon Ball licence, but couldn't release it before the rest of DB. K-On is a complete collection of season 2. And Noragami is probably just distribution for the Funi version like with Jormungand as opposed to being a sub licence.

A K-ON Season 1 Blu Ray was indeed planned then cancelled.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -cancelled

It really bums me out. I would have loved K-On on blu ray, even though I only watched it on DVD, I can tell the show looks amazing. It felt kind of wrong having to settle with DVD. Such a shame. I initally picked up K-On on an impulse, but if S1 was on blu ray I would have definitely double dipped and also gone Blu Ray on Season 2. Not even just K-On either, shows like Soul Eater and Claymore, which both saw Blu Ray releases in other territories, also never got a Blu Ray release over here even though I would have been ready and willing to shell out extra for the Blu Ray. Oh well, thank god Madman is still committed to Blu Ray releases, my money is going their way. DVD releases are becoming harder and harder to tolerate after seeing the broadcast versions in HD on Crunchyroll and the like...

Manga did talk speculatively a while back about maybe doing Soul Eater on BR but it never went any further.

I'd kill for Clannad and Haruhi on BR.

I suppose at least we don't have shows starting on BR then getting discontinued because the first part sold badly anymore, like Casshern Sins or Xamd.

ConanThe3rd said:
Manga should just give up on Physical outright if DVD only is the best they can muster.

I second this. If they're just going to put almost everything they get on DVD only, it's kind of a waste of a licence. I'd much rather it go to MVM or Anime Ltd, who have consistent, high quality DVD and Blu Ray releases. I have no idea how Anime Ltd wrangled the Baccano license from Manga to do a Blu Ray re-release but I hope they can manage that for some other titles...

sniper_samurai said:
Wouldn't get my hopes up yet. They haven't announced any of their own "new" licences since Jerome and co left.
There's Noragami, although I don't recall that they've actually made an announcement.

IncendiaryLemon said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Manga should just give up on Physical outright if DVD only is the best they can muster.

I second this. If they're just going to put almost everything they get on DVD only, it's kind of a waste of a licence. I'd much rather it go to MVM or Anime Ltd, who have consistent, high quality DVD and Blu Ray releases. I have no idea how Anime Ltd wrangled the Baccano license from Manga to do a Blu Ray re-release but I hope they can manage that for some other titles...

Don't forget MVM mainly sticks to doing DVD only for most shows as well even when it's been released on Blu-ray in the USA but they usually have to rely on the Australian companies such as Hanabee to reduce production costs.

Manga only license the DVD of Baccano as the blu-ray license is a separate contract which is why Anime Ltd was able to get it. The blu-ray was released quite a few years after the original DVD too which is why they're separate licenses, it's the same in the USA, Funimation owns the DVD license and Aniplex just kept the blu-ray license and released it themselves.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Manga only license the DVD of Baccano as the blu-ray license is a separate contract which is why Anime Ltd was able to get it. The blu-ray was released quite a few years after the original DVD too which is why they're separate licenses, it's the same in the USA, Funimation owns the DVD license and Aniplex just kept the blu-ray license and released it themselves.

Plus back when they did podcasts (March 2013 in particular), Manga said they refused to upgrade titles to Blu-ray if the Blu-ray was an upscale. So Baccano! wouldn't have gotten a Blu-ray from them anyway.

Lutga said:
Manga did talk speculatively a while back about maybe doing Soul Eater on BR but it never went any further.

I suppose at least we don't have shows starting on BR then getting discontinued because the first part sold badly anymore, like Casshern Sins or Xamd.
Well funimation are doing a haruhi blu ray release soo aren't they? You could buy the Japanese box set for £200 -_-

black1blade said:
Lutga said:

Well funimation are doing a haruhi blu ray release soo aren't they? You could buy the Japanese box set for £200 -_-

The thing about Funimation's upcoming release for Haruhi is the video source. Season 1 has two versions. Will they use the original BD-Box that had both seasons, or the Season 1 Broadcast Order BD-Box? That is what I want to know.

That actually sounds pretty cool, and a nice way to pick up five volumes in one - although I'm not sure how Fairy Tail would benefit from the larger format size apart from the obvious *ahem*

Back