The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Yakumo said:
It should count, since it does feature a headstrong boy, brimming with youthful optimism, as its main character who is thrust into an otherworldly adventure. It then subverts the classic shonen themes by making the character realize that said youthful optimism and the belief that even the worst situation will always come right aren't enough by themselves, with tragic and harrowing consequences.
Yeah, but that's like me saying "Oh sure, give your kid who's reading the Benno a copy of Heavy Metal, that's totally cool" or recommending Panty and Stocking to a girl who's favourite show is MLP.

One's something for children (as is the case with Shonen things) and the other is decisively not.

NTHT is decisively in the "not" category.

ConanThe3rd said:
Yakumo said:
It should count, since it does feature a headstrong boy, brimming with youthful optimism, as its main character who is thrust into an otherworldly adventure. It then subverts the classic shonen themes by making the character realize that said youthful optimism and the belief that even the worst situation will always come right aren't enough by themselves, with tragic and harrowing consequences.
Yeah, but that's like me saying "Oh sure, give your kid who's reading the Benno a copy of Heavy Metal, that's totally cool" or recommending Panty and Stocking to a girl who's favourite show is MLP.
What's wrong with that? I would do both of those things. Heavy Metal and Panty & Stocking are cool, kids would love them. The only reason they wouldn't is if their parents had made them feel guilt and shame by hammering some sort of hideous subjective moral code into them. And if they have, f*ck 'em. It's people like that who ruin their children's lives.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dunno if anyone's interested but "Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore" is gonna feature the voice of Norman Reedus as Punisher. So that might intrigue Walking Dead/ Boondock Saints fans.

Also it seems to be going for dirt cheap on pre-order. £7-8 in most places on DVD. Strange for an anime release to be cheaper than a regular movie release...

Frankly I find it odd it's even being released here when the other Marvel Anime stuff hasn't been... I hope this is gonna act like a testing ground to see if they do release the series, because I want that X-men so bad :p.

Also I am SO SO glad it's traditionally animated. Cgi/ animation blends CAN be great, but in Iron Man they really, really weren't. I still watch the Iron Man anime teaser trailer from time to time and cry over what might have been..../quote]

Looks to be released to coincide with Iron Man 3 hitting the cinemas. But it would be good if they released the show as well.

ayase said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Yakumo said:
What's wrong with that? I would do both of those things. Heavy Metal and Panty & Stocking are cool, kids would love them. The only reason they wouldn't is if their parents had made them feel guilt and shame by hammering some sort of hideous subjective moral code into them. And if they have, f*ck 'em. It's people like that who ruin their children's lives.
Only another child would type such a thing like this. :lol:

I'm 27 and perfectly serious Mohawk. I developed needless guilt and shame as a result of having dubious morality fed to me by the older generations. Now freed of it, I wouldn't wish to subject anyone else to such stifling limitations. Should I ever have any children, I will make every effort to make sure they go through life guilt and shame free.

ayase said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Yakumo said:
Not the point I was trying to make.

Now and Then (and so on) is not a shonen show the same way something like Madoka is not a shojo show. You would never dream of punting ether show on CITV where Digimon (Which is actauly noted as a Kodomo (Kids) show but let's not get pedantic here) or Inazuma Eleven could be shown.

Sure both N&T and Madoka use the tropes of Shonen/Shojo shows to explore more complex themes but saying they are those formats because they use those tropes that's like saying that the episode of Black Mirror with the CGI Bear is OK for kids because it has a CGI Bear in it. Now don't get me wrong, I like me some Charlie Brooker but he's most certainly not for children.

Look, I really don't care about what you show your or anyone else's kids (though I will cringe at the rank stupidity on show if one was to subject a young individual to N&T, P&SwhG or Madoka because they thought they were Kids shows), but don't give me Pimms and Lemon and call it 7up, ok?

ayase said:
I'm 27 and perfectly serious Mohawk. I developed needless guilt and shame as a result of having dubious morality fed to me by the older generations. Now freed of it, I wouldn't wish to subject anyone else to such stifling limitations. Should I ever have any children, I will make every effort to make sure they go through life guilt and shame free.
Oh great! you mean like the children that were burning and looting much of the country back in 2011? Do us a favour. :roll:

Apologies if this has already been posted...

A representative of StudioCanal told ANN the following:

- From Up On Poppy Hill is provisionally planned for a UK cinema release in July, although the details are still to be confirmed. The film was previously listed on a StudioCanal press release in January. The release gave the names of the dub actors confirmed for the American version of the film, including Gillian Anderson, Jamie Lee Curtis, Beau Bridges, Christina Hendricks, Ron Howard, Chris Noth, Aubrey Plaza and Anton Yelchin.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... -and-grave

robot monkey said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Dunno if anyone's interested but "Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore" is gonna feature the voice of Norman Reedus as Punisher. So that might intrigue Walking Dead/ Boondock Saints fans.

Also it seems to be going for dirt cheap on pre-order. £7-8 in most places on DVD. Strange for an anime release to be cheaper than a regular movie release...

Frankly I find it odd it's even being released here when the other Marvel Anime stuff hasn't been... I hope this is gonna act like a testing ground to see if they do release the series, because I want that X-men so bad :p.

Also I am SO SO glad it's traditionally animated. Cgi/ animation blends CAN be great, but in Iron Man they really, really weren't. I still watch the Iron Man anime teaser trailer from time to time and cry over what might have been..../quote]]/quote]

Looks to be released to coincide with Iron Man 3 hitting the cinemas. But it would be good if they released the show as well.

Yeah that's gonna be the driving reason for its release. Interestingly no blu-ray in the UK (not surprising I guess) but there is in the US, which IS odd, because while Marvel Anime got a full release in the states, the blu-rays were Japan only....

Mohawk52 said:
ayase said:
Oh great! you mean like the children that were burning and looting much of the country back in 2011? Do us a favour. :roll:
No matter what proponents of the Abrahamic religions would have people believe, it is possible to teach respect for other people without resorting to shame, guilt or fear.

ayase said:
Mohawk52 said:
ayase said:
No matter what proponents of the Abrahamic religions would have people believe, it is possible to teach respect for other people without resorting to shame, guilt or fear.

well said

GolGotha said:

- From Up On Poppy Hill is provisionally planned for a UK cinema release in July, although the details are still to be confirmed. The film was previously listed on a StudioCanal press release in January. The release gave the names of the dub actors confirmed for the American version of the film, including Gillian Anderson, Jamie Lee Curtis, Beau Bridges, Christina Hendricks, Ron Howard, Chris Noth, Aubrey Plaza and Anton Yelchin.

GolGotha, that cast alone has convinced me to watch that Movie in the cinema when it's released.

Not sure where to put this...

Anime Limited
We've got some updates coming up this week - including some talk on how releases work and timeframes for first releases!

GolGotha said:

Ron Howard? I thought he gave up acting to be a film director. I know Anderson played Moro, The Wolfgod in Princess Mononoke, but this has got to be a first for the rest. Howard must be doing it for beer money.

GolGotha said:
Not sure where to put this...

Anime Limited
We've got some updates coming up this week - including some talk on how releases work and timeframes for first releases!

Was that from a tweet or somewhere else?

Makes sense that they'd set out a plan for us, Andrew seems quite keen to let us know what is what and it can only help for us to know a little bit more about what it takes behind the scenes to get a show released.

From their Facebook...

Manga UK
Hi guys. We recording the next Manga UK Podcast this week and we need your Ask Manga UK questions!

You have until 5pm tomorrow (Thursday 6th) to submit them. As a note,iIf you've got any history based questions, Jonathan Clements is set to join Jerome, Andrew & Jeremy!

Also, we'll be doing an extended Ask Manga UK session, so we can try and answer as many questions as possible.

Back