The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Hmmmm it's an interesting development for sure. I'll remain cautious until I see more details though. For it to be worthwhile to me it'd need:

1) A good range of titles, mixture of back catalogue and simulcasts
2) Subscription prices on par with Crunchyroll
3) HD streaming when available
4) Simulcasts and not delaycasts
5) Good translations as free of grammatical errors as possible
6) Most importantly, NO geoblocking! They need to clarify what 'overseas' means pronto!

Still I'll keep an eye on this for sure, though seeing that Toei are involved doesn't fill me with much hope considering their usual track record :p Crunchyroll is a really excellent service so they should look to it as the model.

I do worry about the future of AoD though. While it's nice that it's been free for the past two seasons, they seem completely unable to get the key shows out on time (MAOYU has only just shown up and now it's waaaay behind so I can't be bothered to start it :p ) . I've stopped using it completely.

reborn said:
A number of anime studios and production companies including Aniplex and Toei Animation are launching a new anime streaming service called Daisuki which is apparently for oversea fans.

According to the service, titles such as Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Mobile Suit Gundam, One Piece, Lupin the 3rd, and Prince of Tennis are "ready to be delivered." Daisuki also plans to stream anime titles nearly simultaneously with their Japanese broadcasts, as well as live events.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... te-daisuki

I can't help but be a little worried about what this will mean for AoD and Crunchyroll.
We've been here before, It'd be nice to have this be a UK thing, but it'd also be nice if David Cameron were to spontaneously combust and reveal his true lizard-man form. It ain't happening.

Love to be wrong, absolutely, but the hit to miss ratio is not on my side.

animefreak17 said:
Joshawott said:
I've heard the Supernatural anime was pretty dire.

dire?? as in.......
Really bad. A friend I know (in fact, the one who got me into Supernatural) said the anime adaptation was really poor. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the animation style Madhouse used as well, looks very artificial. There's probably only a couple of Madhouse series' I like too.

One thing I didn't like though, was that due scheduling conflicts Jensen Ackles only voices Dean in the last 2 episodes (Jensen plays Dean in the original live-action series). I don't like the idea of anyone but him playing Dean, but what annoys me mainly is the fact that he did 2 episodes, which creates inconsistency in the adaptation.

Joshawott said:
animefreak17 said:
Joshawott said:
I've heard the Supernatural anime was pretty dire.

dire?? as in.......
Really bad. A friend I know (in fact, the one who got me into Supernatural) said the anime adaptation was really poor. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the animation style Madhouse used as well, looks very artificial. There's probably only a couple of Madhouse series' I like too.

One thing I didn't like though, was that due scheduling conflicts Jensen Ackles only voices Dean in the last 2 episodes (Jensen plays Dean in the original live-action series). I don't like the idea of anyone but him playing Dean, but what annoys me mainly is the fact that he did 2 episodes, which creates inconsistency in the adaptation.

i dont like supernatural but my sister and mum does they might like it so il get it

ConanThe3rd said:
We've been here before, It'd be nice to have this be a UK thing, but it'd also be nice if David Cameron were to spontaneously combust and reveal his true lizard-man form. It ain't happening.

Conan, you know that's a lie perpetrated by Scottish media. If you were to read the news straight from England, you'd know fully well that Cameron's true form is a Mecha version of Puppet Thatcher. Even the Welsh know that.

Anyway, someone on twitter that does media release news has announced where the streaming thing Japan's planning is going to be shown

So what territories will the upcoming DAISUKI streaming service include?

[via email inquiry] What English speaking territories (US, UK, Australia, or more?) will be included with this upcoming DAISUKI streaming service (http://www.daisuki.net/en/)?

Here is the exact reply:

Hello,

thank you for your mail!

Regarding your question:
DAISUKI will be available world-wide, so the service area of DAISUKI will also cover non-English areas.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

DAISUKI Team
DAISUKI INC.

Yeah, I think this might be somewhat of a good thing.

US-only wouldn't have made much sense to me in the first place since the US already has services for most (all?) of the listed shows. But then again, the kneejerk whining about imaginary high prices for streaming on most English-language forums also doesn't make much sense to me.

I've decided I'm excited about Daisuki now. There's almost no way it can make the streaming situation worse for the UK, especially since none of the shows listed even stream here properly in the first place. The only way is up.

R

theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:

Conan, you know that's a lie perpetrated by Scottish media. If you were to read the news straight from England, you'd know fully well that Cameron's true form is a Mecha version of Puppet Thatcher. Even the Welsh know that.
Nah, everyone knows Boris is the android built by Rupert Murdoch to carry out the will of Thatcher, Cameron's just an animatronic waxwork they cart around and stand in front of podiums until the ground has been prepared for him. Like how everyone knows David Miliband was a genetic engineering project designed to splice the DNA of Blair and Obama into the most electable (but also useless) politician in history, which was proven disastrously wrong when his source of spare organs got elected instead.

reborn said:
I can't help but be a little worried about what this will mean for AoD and Crunchyroll.
Ah, Crunchyroll can return to the dust from whence it sprung, it would be nothing short of poetic justice if the industry dropped them like ballast now. Great news that Daisuki is going to be a world-wide thing.

DAISUKI will be available world-wide, so the service area of DAISUKI will also cover non-English areas.

Good news! This means I will start to watch anime via streaming. Especially for One Piece, I'm sick of it being butchered by the Italian television. If you want to have a laugh, they translated the "devil fruits" as "fruits of the sea" because, you know, it's not good to speak about the devil in the Vatican country.

Teo

"Fruits of the sea"?! Doesn't this mean the same as plain old "seafood" in a lot of languages? Maybe they're hoping kids will eat their mussels more readily if they think they'll get superpowers in return...

A truly global streaming service is necessary if they want to address piracy in any serious way. The local companies are doing a terribly uneven job (in the countries where local anime companies exist at all). People from the future will laugh at us when they're told how disjointed the streaming world is right now.

R

Back