The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

teonzo said:
DAISUKI will be available world-wide, so the service area of DAISUKI will also cover non-English areas.

Good news! This means I will start to watch anime via streaming. Especially for One Piece, I'm sick of it being butchered by the Italian television. If you want to have a laugh, they translated the "devil fruits" as "fruits of the sea" because, you know, it's not good to speak about the devil in the Vatican country.

Teo

World-wide? Im paying to see if its coming to Portugal. Portugal never gets anything from those kind of services.

It can't hurt to drop them an email (the address is on the Daisuki website already) to let them know fans in Italy and Portugal are looking forward to finally getting a decent anime service :)

I expect that support for languages other than English will be rather limited in the same way that it is for Japanese-made Blu-rays with subtitles, but if it becomes popular they'll finally be able to discern actual demand and respond instead of guessing blindly. Imagine if they just don't realise that there are thousands of Italians who want to watch One Piece because the Italian company does a terrible job and reports back that it's not all that popular...

If it's done well, this could really give underperforming local companies more pressure to address the needs of local markets in future.

R

ayase said:
theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:
We've been here before, It'd be nice to have this be a UK thing, but it'd also be nice if David Cameron were to spontaneously combust and reveal his true lizard-man form. It ain't happening.

Love to be wrong, absolutely, but the hit to miss ratio is not on my side.
Conan, you know that's a lie perpetrated by Scottish media. If you were to read the news straight from England, you'd know fully well that Cameron's true form is a Mecha version of Puppet Thatcher. Even the Welsh know that.
Nah, everyone knows Boris is the android built by Rupert Murdoch to carry out the will of Thatcher, Cameron's just an animatronic waxwork they cart around and stand in front of podiums until the ground has been prepared for him. Like how everyone knows David Miliband was a genetic engineering project designed to splice the DNA of Blair and Obama into the most electable (but also useless) politician in history, which was proven disastrously wrong when his source of spare organs got elected instead

But I thought Ed was an Android and not the remains of David. Is there something you're hiding from us, ayase?

theirsbailiff said:
But I thought Ed was an Android and not the remains of David. Is there something you're hiding from us, ayase?
All right, I admit it. I'm the one who created the Miliband brothers, but I thought they would be used for good! Then Peter Mandelson took over the project and turned them against me, twisting them to his own nefarious purposes... Now I have to replace Ed with this lookalike (but with the mind of Tony Benn) or destroy him and his brother before their limited lifespan is up and they spontaneously combust, taking everything in a ten-mile radius out with them. It's like the Kennedys all over again...

Rui said:
"Fruits of the sea"?! Doesn't this mean the same as plain old "seafood" in a lot of languages? Maybe they're hoping kids will eat their mussels more readily if they think they'll get superpowers in return...

If I'm right you know a bit of Italian. The One Piece superpower stuff is called "frutti del mare", while mussels and so on are called "frutti di mare". There is a little difference, but it gives a different meaning to the 2 phrases. Plus they totally changed a lot of other dialogues, cut scenes...
I started to watch it in 2001 when it first aired in Italy and immediately loved it. After some time I looked for infos on the web, just to find out I was loving a butchered version, really disgusting.

Rui said:
It can't hurt to drop them an email (the address is on the Daisuki website already) to let them know fans in Italy and Portugal are looking forward to finally getting a decent anime service :)

I expect that support for languages other than English will be rather limited in the same way that it is for Japanese-made Blu-rays with subtitles, but if it becomes popular they'll finally be able to discern actual demand and respond instead of guessing blindly. Imagine if they just don't realise that there are thousands of Italians who want to watch One Piece because the Italian company does a terrible job and reports back that it's not all that popular...

Good idea, thanks. I'm going to write now.

Teo

... Point is, as an economic power, I trust Japan as far as I can throw it.

If I'm wrong, and god I want to be wrong, and this is CR on steroids, I'll go for it.

I know some people subscribe to some kind of strange rivalry between the sites (on both sides AFAICT...) but UK-Anime Net is having some problems with its domain. Lost UKA users should keep an eye on their Twitter feed for updates.

I thought it was appropriate to include it as news as some people might be wondering how to get back there.

teonzo said:
If I'm right you know a bit of Italian. The One Piece superpower stuff is called "frutti del mare", while mussels and so on are called "frutti di mare". There is a little difference, but it gives a different meaning to the 2 phrases. Plus they totally changed a lot of other dialogues, cut scenes...
I started to watch it in 2001 when it first aired in Italy and immediately loved it. After some time I looked for infos on the web, just to find out I was loving a butchered version, really disgusting.

I see, interesting! I never watched the cut US dub, but it sounds like the same kind of treatment before Funimation started releasing the proper version :/

R

I was under the impression One Piece's Italian form was at least serviceable as a dub.

Then again, that might be me appreciating Mystic Quest when XIII is a thing.

Cloud Strife said:
Joshawott said:
The Fairy Tail anime is ending on 30th March

No surprise really, as the manga and anime are in the same story arc.

Yep, not surprised either. But considering Mashima's tweet, i reckon the series will do a Gintama and let the manga get ahead as much as possible
I think Bleach is doing that too isn't it? By the time the anime was ending the Fullbring arc, due to Kubo taking a massive break the manga was only 3 chapters ahead. So instead of going to a super long filler arc, the Fullbring arc was extended a fair bit and the anime ended when it ended.

Joshawott said:
Cloud Strife said:
Joshawott said:
The Fairy Tail anime is ending on 30th March

No surprise really, as the manga and anime are in the same story arc.

Yep, not surprised either. But considering Mashima's tweet, i reckon the series will do a Gintama and let the manga get ahead as much as possible
I think Bleach is doing that too isn't it? By the time the anime was ending the Fullbring arc, due to Kubo taking a massive break the manga was only 3 chapters ahead. So instead of going to a super long filler arc, the Fullbring arc was extended a fair bit and the anime ended when it ended.

It's possible, but nothing concrete was said on it i believe. A continuation might probably happen eventually, but i expect it'll either be next year or when bleach finally finishes. I don't honestly believe Kubo has 10 years more of steam behind the series as he so claims, and neither do the readers. I noticed the popularity for it has dropped a lot in this arc.

Arbalest said:
It's possible, but nothing concrete was said on it i believe. A continuation might probably happen eventually, but i expect it'll either be next year or when bleach finally finishes. I don't honestly believe Kubo has 10 years more of steam behind the series as he so claims, and neither do the readers. I noticed the popularity for it has dropped a lot in this arc.
He has said that this current story arc is the final one. The only problem is, to Kubo, an arc can be as long as 27 volumes (that's how long the Arrancar arc was), but the Fullbring arc was only 6 iirc. The story's pace has already really sped up.

But yeah, I imagine they won't be restarting the Bleach anime until either the manga has ended or is close to ending.

Saw this days ago but I was wondering whether to bother posting it.
Funi's June releases.

New releases:
Appleseed XIII (DVD/Blu-ray combo) - June 4th
Heaven's Lost Property Season 2 (Blu-ray) - June 25th

Series Re-releases:
Birdy the Mighty: Decode Complete Series (DVD) (S.A.V.E.) - June 4th
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (BD/DVD) (S.A.V.E) - June 4th
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings [Seasons 1 & 2] (DVD/Blu-ray combo) - June 11th
Chrome Shelled Regios Complete Series (DVD) (S.A.V.E.) - June 18th

Extremely disappointed. Was hoping for at least one out of Roberta's Blood Trail, Fujiko, Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki or Haganai.
May get Sengoku Basara though.

So on the latest edition of Rightstuf's weekly newsletter I got a glimpse of this.

My immediate response?

Because, you see, in the whole Digimon franchise, Tamers is the the best written, with the best characters and the hardest hitting action. In fact, on the list of my favourite shounen titles, Kiba sits at the top, followed by Now and Then, Here and There, with Digimon Tamers in third place.

Joyous indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yakumo said:
So on the latest edition of Rightstuf's weekly newsletter I got a glimpse of this.

My immediate response?

Because, you see, in the whole Digimon franchise, Tamers is the the best written, with the best characters and the hardest hitting action. In fact, on the list of my favourite shounen titles, Kiba sits at the top, followed by Now and Then, Here and There, with Digimon Tamers in third place.

Joyous indeed.
I don't think "Now and then here and there" counts as a shonen show, guy. But yeah. Bout time a full season boxset of Tamers was a thing. The fact that Zero Two has yet to come out makes be believe these people know how much of a hash that season was.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should count, since it does feature a headstrong boy, brimming with youthful optimism, as its main character who is thrust into an otherworldly adventure. It then subverts the classic shonen themes by making the character realize that said youthful optimism and the belief that even the worst situation will always come right aren't enough by themselves, with tragic and harrowing consequences.

Dunno if anyone's interested but "Iron Man: Rise of the Technovore" is gonna feature the voice of Norman Reedus as Punisher. So that might intrigue Walking Dead/ Boondock Saints fans.

Also it seems to be going for dirt cheap on pre-order. £7-8 in most places on DVD. Strange for an anime release to be cheaper than a regular movie release...

Frankly I find it odd it's even being released here when the other Marvel Anime stuff hasn't been... I hope this is gonna act like a testing ground to see if they do release the series, because I want that X-men so bad :p.

Also I am SO SO glad it's traditionally animated. Cgi/ animation blends CAN be great, but in Iron Man they really, really weren't. I still watch the Iron Man anime teaser trailer from time to time and cry over what might have been...

Back