The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

In that case the more relevant part of the question is whether one of "others" is AT-X (generically I would assume it is), in terms of how close the fanservice might be to the original.

HdE said:
Just Passing Through said:
Texhnolyze is currently deleted in the UK, although MVM may relicense...

Twitter

Why? It's horrible!
I liked it... admittedly mainly because of the art direction but I still enjoyed the story too. There are way worse shows that could get the same treatment I suppose.

I think HdE might be the only person I've ever seen express that opinion about Tex. Sure, some people might not like it, but it's too good to be considered "horrible", surely?

I expected quite a bit from Texhnolyze, something akin to Lain, but I was just left miserably disappointed to the point I didn't even finish watching it I was just so bored by it.

This surprised me quite a lot, reaction was nothing but positive at the time from what I remember. Was nearly ten years ago now though, I guess, which can't be discounted.

Yeah after Lain and Haibane Renmei I expected SO MUCH, but it was dull and hard to follow in places.

That said art direction was amazing and soem of the beginning of the show was great. Still an above average anime overall :)

This decision is rapidly making itself...
Was there any decision to be made in the first place? A user-friendly region A/B version that's been out for almost a year, or one with (presumably) locked subtitles plus other annoyances and perhaps fewer extras... that is still months away. And more expensive. HMM.

Trigun Badlands Rumble pushed back to Nov 12th...

Do you think Kaze will strip out the Funimation Extras to make room for the European language tracks?

The US release is Region AB, right?

This decision is rapidly making itself...
Is that a nod to Disney Europe I detect? :p After seeing what they've removed from the non-US releases of The Avengers Blu-ray I'm missing PlanetAxel a lot right now...

Anyway, once again I look on Amazon and see the US release of Trigun Badlands Rumble is cheaper than the upcoming UK one and is below £15. Really shows that in this era of online shopping, waiting for domestic releases when they are delayed in cases like this makes less and less sense. If only it wasn't for that blasted £15 import duty limit I'd be importing series up the wazoo...whoops I'd better stop there or I'll go into a rant!

No commentary on the European release because Joss Whedon recorded his commentary "too late"...despite the fact that it only comes out one week later in the US. :roll: It's clearly so they can put in all the other language tracks, they did it with Pirates of the Caribbean, they're doing it here.

There might be a couple of featurettes missing as well ("Assembling the Other Team" seems to be MIA), but nobody knows for certain until the US release. Also retailer exclusive shenanigans: steelbook for HMV, 90 minute documentary at Sainsbury's and a mini-graphic novel at Asda.

There's even rumours that the US release is region-locked to add insult to injury. It's all really annoying and it's doing my head in. Disney really are the worst with this, at least with Paramount in charge we pretty much got identical releases everywhere...

I assume Disney need more time for the UK one since they need to push it through the BBFC etc, but shortchanging the customer isn't the best way to deal with a problem.

With the simplified regions of BD making having a dual region setup easier than ever, I think obediently only purchasing locally produced items in an increasingly paranoid, unwelcoming industry environment is no way to go. I intend to only buy the version I consider the best this generation, irrespective of its origin and the attempts by the industry to prevent me. Therefore, if the local companies want me to buy their version, the ball's entirely in their court >_>

R

Cool... ish? Maybe. I guess it's just generally cool that Sentai announce licenses before I have to make import decisions.

Rui said:
I assume Disney need more time for the UK one since they need to push it through the BBFC etc, but shortchanging the customer isn't the best way to deal with a problem.
You'd think they wouldn't exacerbate that by releasing it a week before the US one, then, if they were actually concerned in some way about the consumer.

Rui said:

With the simplified regions of BD making having a dual region setup easier than ever, I think obediently only purchasing locally produced items in an increasingly paranoid, unwelcoming industry environment is no way to go. I intend to only buy the version I consider the best this generation, irrespective of its origin and the attempts by the industry to prevent me. Therefore, if the local companies want me to buy their version, the ball's entirely in their court >_>

R
Or to put it more bluntly; Region Locking is automatically assuming that you're not only going to fail, but fail so spectacularly that it will make your average village fool look up at your failure, click his (or her) tongue and utter, "Damn, son, you failed!" so, really, you just don't bother.

Here's looking at you; Nintendo, Atlus, Zen Digital, The twits at THQ who locked You Don't Know Jack, Aniplex after vol 2 of FMP: Brohood and the many other provayers of the deadliest internet sin who, god willing, be forcibly divorced from their shins in the fullness of time.

Edit: This is all also not helped by the Japanese side of business being craven cowards who will not admit that their business collage was NOT right on certain things ether and their lecturers are not some sort of super-gods form who a set of unbreakable commandments about business was imposed from.

Back