The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I'd say the protectionist BS that Mercedes and BMW lobbied to effectively ban imports of cars newer than 21 years old didn't help. They got the law enacted due to people importing the better European models than the crap the US arms were putting out.
Now I am just wondering why they went to all that effort instead of releasing, y'know their own cars.

omg, a serial killer sloth?!? Now I definitely gotta see that! Back in the 1980's after I just got married, my wife's nickname for me was Sloth, and I even had a vanity license plate with my nickname on my car - a "pimped-out" 1983 Renault Le Car! 😁

lecar2.jpg
lecar1.jpg
Ah Renault that brings back some nostalgia :)

At the end of the eighties I drove around in a red Renault 5 Turbo. Those things were not limited on the engine, meaning if you did go wild with it, you just would blow up the engine. Renault once did a survey on this 5 Turbo and it’s bigger sibling the 9 Turbo and the results were staggering as 50% was already broken after being in use for one year, due to the driver handling (or lack thereof) :D

1920px-Nationale_oldtimerdag_Zandvoort_2010%2C_1981_RENAULT_5_TURBO%2C_JH-VZ-86_pic2.JPG
Blown up or not, any Renault 5 is a thing of beauty (especially the turbo)! I'm jealous of Le Car - did you hold on to it by any chance?

Blown up or not, any Renault 5 is a thing of beauty (especially the turbo)! I'm jealous of Le Car - did you hold on to it by any chance?

I had that car until the late 1990's, and then sold it to the next door neighbor whose 16 year old daughter was looking for a first car. I didn't want to get rid of it, but my wife and I had two other newer cars and we had just bought a new '98 Dodge Ram pickup, so I had to get rid of something. At least I could still look at it parked next door in their driveway, lol.

I had that car until the late 1990's, and then sold it to the next door neighbor whose 16 year old daughter was looking for a first car. I didn't want to get rid of it, but my wife and I had two other newer cars and we had just bought a new '98 Dodge Ram pickup, so I had to get rid of something. At least I could still look at it parked next door in their driveway, lol.
Heheh I know the feeling, we sold my wife's Mini (that I got very attached to) to friend so I still got to see it until they got rid 😔.

A big article about The Boy and The Heron.

ETA: Another article about it in The Guardian.

Last edited:
The anime films in contention for this year's Oscars are The Boy and The Heron, Blue Giant, The First Slam Dunk, Lonley Castle in the Mirror, and Suzume (or The Boy and The Heron, and four others the Oscars won't consider).

I did not care for The Boy and the Heron at all, I'd rather see Suzume win a few good awards - although I don't give a rip about any animation awards in the Oscars, that's such a joke.
You might be luck then as Suzume, as well as The Boy and the Heron, have been nominated for the Golden Globes.

ETA: The Boy and the Heron is actually up for two Golden Globes. While both and Suzume are up for best animated film, Heron is also up for best original score.

Last edited:
It's essentially down to Spider-Man vs The Boy and the Heron and I'd probably put money on the latter at this point. Hopefully Hisaishi gets a nomination at one of the major awards ceremonies as well.

The anime films in contention for this year's Oscars are The Boy and The Heron, Blue Giant, The First Slam Dunk, Lonley Castle in the Mirror, and Suzume (or The Boy and The Heron, and four others the Oscars won't consider).

Would be nice but if others were considered but Spider-Man is 100% winning.
Its not even a competition regardless of what anybody thinks despite the reported work conditions and arguably janky animation they had to fix for the home release.

kinda bums me ill miss out on those legendary fights that make the rounds on twitter and YouTube but I guess I’ll finally be able to watch one piece now. Should be cool

Last edited:
I have tried watching the One Piece anime a good few times, but each time I end up dropping it because it is such a slog and the pacing is truly awful in places.

I purchased the entire run of the manga (so far, up to vol 104) and it's much more enjoyable than the anime. No filler, no stupid padded out fights. Will be nice to see a higher quality and more accurate adaptation of the manga; hopefully they can remake the entire series.

Back