The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ayase said:
Perhaps Blue Exorcist is also going to function as a (somewhat risky, granted) test to see if lack of dub really does equal lack of sales. I don't know how Durarara did for Beez, but I suspect if it performed poorly that would be more likely down to the price than the lack of dub, but I'm could be wrong. We'll see.
I'm sure Jerome (or whoever it was) tweeted that Durarara had sold less than a thousand copies - presumably per volume, though you can never be sure with anime. It'd be difficult to determine whether the low sales were down to the price of the lack of a dub, but I suspect both played a part.

Just Passing Through said:
From what was mentioned at Expo, it seems that the determining factor on what gets the deluxe and the bare-bones treatment comes down to the materials available from Japan, not just what the distro wants to do with the property. If they are only getting the episodes and nothing else, no artbooks or the like, there's not much point in a fancy boxset.
There's ALWAYS a point in a fancy box set because anime collectors like their DVDs in art boxes instead of cheapo cases, even if there's no other physical extras. That's why I'm prioritising Funimation's newer releases over Sentai's. But it's TRSI's decision and I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I'm excited about TRSI's new label since it sounds like a cheap way to get unpopular titles, which could be very interesting. I want Ristorante Paradiso for sure and if the price is right I'll likely grab the other two as well.

The Blue Exorcist situation seems disastrous as some of the fans will already have got the R1 edition which will be a lot nicer than Manga's, so their flagship sub-only series has already lost some appeal there (unlike with DRRR!! which was released with competitive timing). And now they've potentially lost anyone who is tempted by the dub, since few people are going to buy the same show twice on DVD. I can't help but feel this experiment isn't going to have the results I'd like :(

Sentai have also just announced Natsuyuki Rendezvous for home video next year. Yay!

R

VoxPhantom said:
Cancel the sub-only release and make people wait up to a year for a dubbed release? People would rip into them for another cancellation.
Technically speaking, it would be a delay. Which is a slightly less final beast to cancellation.

Course, they have no balls to speak off so it's easy just to pap out the easiest option and call it a day.

Honestly, the fact we're getting Madoka as we're getting it is something of a miracle.

Following the success of sales and pre-orders of Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 3, published by Right Stuf in a deal with Tokyopop, a deal has been announced to continue publication and to releases Volumes 4 and 5 as well.

Source

Joshawott said:
Did MangaUK really discuss with Virgin Media about his home connection problems on the company page? Whatever. Nothing surprises me any more.

So, Neon Alley launches this fall and will have Blue Exorcist. But er...late 2013? Either that's because Aniplex are being super stingy, or it's BS.

I think Jerome's been put in an awkward place here though.
If Blue Exorcist is a launch title for NA, then they'll be done airing the series (assuming a weekly schedule) by the end of the year. Add six months for standard "US -> UK" Shenanigans and you have about this time this year.

That is, if Manga UK wasn't being run by lemmings being heralded by the human incarnation of a joke.

I have no sympathy for Jerome's situation. He keeps whining but does nothing to help his situation. The podcast is basically the "Jerome whines about things for an hour"cast.

Funimation have licensed a load of new shows including Blood C: The Last Dark film, Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians, Ikki Tōsen: Xtreme Xecutor, Michiko & Hatchin and Appleseed XIII.

DVD rights for: Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Blood C, Jormungand and EUREKA SEVEN AO.

It also announced that it will simulcast Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (Hagure Yūsha no Aestetica) and Binbogami ga!

Source

I'm happy that Michiko and Hatchin is finally getting licensed, pleased with a Jormungand release too.

Michiko and Hatchin? OH YEAHHHH. With any luck it might be out before 2014. Better late than never.

Also, didn't Sentai get Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians? (EDIT: nope, that was Queen's Blade. Getting mah titty fighting shows all mixed up.)

20thCenturyBoy said:
Funimation have licensed a load of new shows including Blood C: The Last Dark film, Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians, Ikki Tōsen: Xtreme Xecutor, Michiko & Hatchin and Appleseed XIII.

DVD rights for: Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Blood C, Jormungand and EUREKA SEVEN AO.

Nearly all of these I shall be getting, and I just looked up Michiko & Hatchin which looks like something I will enjoy :D

Back