The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

demonix said:
Just Passing Through said:
Dannielle said:
I think they're releasing it as DVD only as the company who they licensed it from are releasing it DVD only.

Exactly. MVM usually share their BD costs with Australian companies, indeed the AU companies do the BD manufacturing and MVM split the print run. Madman released Patlabor OVA S1 on DVD and Blu-ray, but when it came to S2, they didn't sell enough of Part 1 to warrant selling Part 2 on BD, and Sentai's discs are Region A.

When it comes to MVM, it's the choice between getting some BDs this way, or no BDs at all, at least until everyone ditches DVD and starts buying Blu-ray.
All sentai/maiden Japan BD releases in 2015 are geo locked and not region locked, so as long as the player has its country code set to the USA then the discs will (or should) run regardless of the region code of the player (the old bypass method can be used on the TV series discs, but you need to select the correct chapter on the first part depending on if you want to watch in English or Japanese).

Unfortunately not every Blu-ray player offers access to its country code settings. I certainly can't spin Sentai's geolocked Blu-rays, and I'm still looking to Region B for my BLu-ray releases.

Thanks for the explanation of why Patlabor OVA series 2 is going dvd only. I can sympathize with MVM but it's still a pet hate of mine to have part of a series on blu-ray and the other on dvd.

I am cutting back on my anime expenditure a bit so that I have money free for other things and blu-ray is the only format I'll be buying on release now so if mvm are still going to release most things on dvd then they are not going to get much of my business, even if I really like the look of a series I still won't get it when there are blurays available I want around the same price as the format automatically takes priority because dvds really aren't designed for modern tv's.

MVM aren't giving up on Blu-Ray at all. It looks to me, going forward it's their A+ titles that will be getting the Blu-Ray treatment. It was great to get the first OVA on Blu-Ray here, and I totally got behind them releasing classic series in the UK in HD, but think those classics should be left to Anime Limited.

There's loads of MVM titles coming out that are on Blu-Ray (Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Monogatari), so I wouldn't count them out. Funny thing is, they're releasing more Blu-Ray than Manga UK.

serpantino said:
Thanks for the explanation of why Patlabor OVA series 2 is going dvd only. I can sympathize with MVM but it's still a pet hate of mine to have part of a series on blu-ray and the other on dvd.

FYI, the two Patlabor OVA series are not related, despite being part of the same franchise. The initial Early Days release ties in with the three movies, while this second OVA series is a continuation of the television series. :)

I know mvm has a few blu-rays coming out (Log Horizon will be a blind buy for me), but I notice the releases I would've bought on blu-ray if they'd been released on that format more. Do they only bother to do blu-ray disks that are already region free (just a repackage job)?

Only reason I brought this dvd only release up is because it's a good, well known/reviewed anime series and I'd love to throw more money at MVM as they come out with some great looking releases and I'd love to preorder more of their stuff but they're not giving me much opportunity because I just won't prioritize an old format at 576i unless it's a show I really know & love and it has no region free bluray release.

I remember an MVM rep saying that they weren't releasing a blu-ray of series X (forget which) because the dvd sold poorly which is strange logic to me, because if people want the blu-ray and it's available elsewhere region free (as in this case) people will just give up and import it when you haven't announced any intention of releasing it.

AntAce said:
FYI, the two Patlabor OVA series are not related, despite being part of the same franchise. The initial Early Days release ties in with the three movies, while this second OVA series is a continuation of the television series. :)

Thanks I didn't realize that, I thought it was a direct continuation. That's even more strange though considering that mvm hasn't done a release of the TV Series and it's been out of print for ages.

serpantino said:
Do they only bother to do blu-ray disks that are already region free (just a repackage job)?

I don't believe they've ever done their own Blu-Ray. If there's a Blu-Ray in Australia, 9 times out of 10 it will come out that way in the UK as well if MVM have licensed it. They seem to cost share. Probably proving more difficult with Sentai doing their disc locking, not sure how the geo-locking works entirely if MVM cost shared with Sentai for a Blu-Ray.

Elaniel said:
serpantino said:
Do they only bother to do blu-ray disks that are already region free (just a repackage job)?

I don't believe they've ever done their own Blu-Ray. If there's a Blu-Ray in Australia, 9 times out of 10 it will come out that way in the UK as well if MVM have licensed it. They seem to cost share. Probably proving more difficult with Sentai doing their disc locking, not sure how the geo-locking works entirely if MVM cost shared with Sentai for a Blu-Ray.

Hanabee have started authoring their own Blu-rays now instead of just using Sentai's masters. I was so happy to see MVM's Watamote with decent, reasonably sized white subtitles instead of Sentai's mega yellow font, and I believe From the New World was also authored in Australia. Similarly, the Monogatari and the other Aniplex US titles are reauthored in Australia to economise on disc real estate.

Elaniel said:
serpantino said:

Hanabee have started authoring their own Blu-rays now instead of just using Sentai's masters. I was so happy to see MVM's Watamote with decent, reasonably sized white subtitles instead of Sentai's mega yellow font, and I believe From the New World was also authored in Australia. Similarly, the Monogatari and the other Aniplex US titles are reauthored in Australia to economise on disc real estate.
Hanabee never used Sentai's masters originally since unlike UK releases the rating didn't have to be on the disc label, so they could share stock with Sentai (this is why another was released DVD only originally since MVM was going to share disc stock with Hanabee, but Hanabee ended up sharing stock with Sentai and the deal went south).

However, Hanabee have already screwed up stuff on a BD release considering the mess that was the toradora BD release and I prefer the easier to read yellow subtitles rather then those microscopic white subtitles some licensor's use.

demonix said:
Elaniel said:

Hanabee never used Sentai's masters originally since unlike UK releases the rating didn't have to be on the disc label, so they could share stock with Sentai (this is why another was released DVD only originally since MVM was going to share disc stock with Hanabee, but Hanabee ended up sharing stock with Sentai and the deal went south).

However, Hanabee have already screwed up stuff on a BD release considering the mess that was the toradora BD release and I prefer the easier to read yellow subtitles rather then those microscopic white subtitles some licensor's use.

What was wrong with Toradora?

Dannielle said:
serpantino said:
DVD only is disappointing. I hate when companies release half a franchise/series on Blu-ray and then decide not to release the other half. I hope MVM don't make a habit of it like Manga UK did as it makes me wary to pick up any series before it has been completely released and because of that it impacts on their early sales figures.

DVD release is better than no release but they are very low priority for me as anime isn't cheap & I'd rather buy blu-ray releases. I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for a potential blu-ray import or buying it if/when it becomes deal of the week.

I think they're releasing it as DVD only as the company who they licensed it from are releasing it DVD only.

Exactly. MVM usually share their BD costs with Australian companies, indeed the AU companies do the BD manufacturing and MVM split the print run. Madman released Patlabor OVA S1 on DVD and Blu-ray, but when it came to S2, they didn't sell enough of Part 1 to warrant selling Part 2 on BD, and Sentai's discs are Region A.

When it comes to MVM, it's the choice between getting some BDs this way, or no BDs at all, at least until everyone ditches DVD and starts buying Blu-ray.

Couldn't have worded it better myself.

Elaniel said:
MVM aren't giving up on Blu-Ray at all. It looks to me, going forward it's their A+ titles that will be getting the Blu-Ray treatment. It was great to get the first OVA on Blu-Ray here, and I totally got behind them releasing classic series in the UK in HD, but think those classics should be left to Anime Limited.

There's loads of MVM titles coming out that are on Blu-Ray (Log Horizon, No Game No Life, Monogatari), so I wouldn't count them out. Funny thing is, they're releasing more Blu-Ray than Manga UK.

We're releasing more than Manga whatever the format lately.

MVM said:
Elaniel said:

We're releasing more than Manga whatever the format lately.

That's not too difficult to do at the moment. :)
I'm excited to see what you have for Q3 as I'm really happy with your Q2 lineup.

animefreak17 said:
Dan said:
Lutga said:
So apparently ADV might not be quite so dead in the water as we thought > http://www.advfilms.com/

What the heck. Are they making a come back?

Oh good maybe I can get my hands on a few of there titles

If they do pop back up in some form I very much doubt they have any of their old licences, those surely must of expired by now and will have somewhat limited markets.

Couldn't this also be a US firm rather than a UK version, now they've settled all that law suit business.

ayase said:
ADV were never really dead, they just disassembled into Sentai, Section 23 and Maiden Japan.

Pretty much. Not to mention Elfen Lied was re-released on Blu-ray under ADV's name in North America.

Which is why I'm convinced they may still have the rights to RahXephon.

Back