The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

windcott said:
speaking of attack on titan, dont both part 1 and part 2 of the US collectors edition come with bonus discs and booklets, yet we only get 1 bonus disc with part 1 ( and booklets for both). So essentially we are missing out on half of the extras, we only get the first half of the making of and half of the chibi theatre ?

This whole UK release is a mess to begin with (I still consider this situation to be as bad as the Blu-ray cancellations).

Both Funimation & Madman have all of the bonus content on the second Blu-ray disc (and second DVD disc) with Episodes 10-13 - And for Part 2, all of the content is with Episodes 21/22-25. With Manga's release they thought Funimation was separating the extras from the main content (in addition they said the extras were Standard Definition only, which is not true [I watched Chibi Theatre in 1080p]) and as such separated the extras for DVD exclusively to the Collector's Edition. I have no idea what Part 2 will contain on-disc wise.

While the first half of 'Notes Beyond the Wall: Part 1' is available in all Limited Edition/Collector's Edition English versions out there. Manga said that Part 2 may have 'Notes Beyond the Wall: Part 2'. Personally it would make more sense if they released a Collector's Edition Part 2 with 'NBtW: Part 2' and the second half of the extras.

I'll be honest, Manga have improved when it comes to bringing out more Blu-rays, more Steelbook sets and even experiment with Blu-ray only releases but this release could have been much better (and to be fair they don't have enough budget to handle a chipboard artbox and dozen of content that Madman was able to pull with their release). If only Funimation made the discs UK compatible (like originally planned) so that Manga could have gotten this release out months before.

Speaking of Attack on Titan, I am genuinely excited/nervous to see how well it performs, as I think it'll be a very good indicator of the state of the market at the moment and how many sales we can expect from a genuine genre-defining 'phenomenon' title like this. Between AoT and the release of Eva 3 early next year, these are probably the biggest properties we'll see for quite some time.

Lutga said:
Speaking of Attack on Titan, I am genuinely excited/nervous to see how well it performs, as I think it'll be a very good indicator of the state of the market at the moment and how many sales we can expect from a genuine genre-defining 'phenomenon' title like this. Between AoT and the release of Eva 3 early next year, these are probably the biggest properties we'll see for quite some time.

They confirmed at MCM Scotland that Attack on Titan's Blu-ray release is outselling the DVD version by 5:1. I'll be curious to know how much though.

NormanicGrav said:
Lutga said:

They confirmed at MCM Scotland that Attack on Titan's Blu-ray release is outselling the DVD version by 5:1. I'll be curious to know how much though.

That surprises me to be honest as most of the time their split is pretty much dead on the money at 50/50. But it could be influenced by the fact the collectors edition of AoT is Blu Ray only.

Is the US DVD release looking better than the UK or is is just the BluRay we get shafted on so to speak? If the US DVD is equally better, I'll be all over that one.

NormanicGrav said:
windcott said:
speaking of attack on titan, dont both part 1 and part 2 of the US collectors edition come with bonus discs and booklets, yet we only get 1 bonus disc with part 1 ( and booklets for both). So essentially we are missing out on half of the extras, we only get the first half of the making of and half of the chibi theatre ?

This whole UK release is a mess to begin with (I still consider this situation to be as bad as the Blu-ray cancellations).

Both Funimation & Madman have all of the bonus content on the second Blu-ray disc (and second DVD disc) with Episodes 10-13 - And for Part 2, all of the content is with Episodes 21/22-25. With Manga's release they thought Funimation was separating the extras from the main content (in addition they said the extras were Standard Definition only, which is not true [I watched Chibi Theatre in 1080p]) and as such separated the extras for DVD exclusively to the Collector's Edition. I have no idea what Part 2 will contain on-disc wise.

While the first half of 'Notes Beyond the Wall: Part 1' is available in all Limited Edition/Collector's Edition English versions out there. Manga said that Part 2 may have 'Notes Beyond the Wall: Part 2'. Personally it would make more sense if they released a Collector's Edition Part 2 with 'NBtW: Part 2' and the second half of the extras.

I'll be honest, Manga have improved when it comes to bringing out more Blu-rays, more Steelbook sets and even experiment with Blu-ray only releases but this release could have been much better (and to be fair they don't have enough budget to handle a chipboard artbox and dozen of content that Madman was able to pull with their release). If only Funimation made the discs UK compatible (like originally planned) so that Manga could have gotten this release out months before.

If MVM can afford a BD chipboard artbox for fate/zero im pretty sure manga can do the same for AoT.

He meant that Manga wouldn't of been able to do a complete replica of the US/AUS release, so chipboard box AND the physical extras. Shame they couldn't of done just the artbox.

I've always assumed that when FUNi announce something for region A+B then quietly change it to A-only, it's because Manga UK themselves requested the lock to 'prevent' importation into the UK. Nobody's ever denied this, anyway, and it's the kind of daft thing the industry would do to itself.

Manga UK really need to get a clear message out about AoT's release here, not that it seems to be stopping people buying regardless. The titans have a powerful allure.

R

Rui said:
I've always assumed that when FUNi announce something for region A+B then quietly change it to A-only, it's because Manga UK themselves requested the lock to 'prevent' importation into the UK. Nobody's ever denied this, anyway, and it's the kind of daft thing the industry would do to itself.

Manga UK really need to get a clear message out about AoT's release here, not that it seems to be stopping people buying regardless. The titans have a powerful allure.

R

I figured that may be the case regarding why AoT's region was changed but I didn't think it mattered considering it's the most popular title they had in a while.

Then again they did answer a question 'requesting Japan to region lock their Blu-ray releases' in one of their podcasts, that was amusing. To summarise:
Manga - Region lock your sets please
Japan - NOPE.

It feels as though far fewer JP sets come with English subtitles these days, though, so perhaps the backstabbing of the local companies has had some effect :(

R

I think it depends on the company. Kadokawa was nice enough to provide English dub and subtitles for Haruhi and Lucky Star while the Macross creators managed to add English subs to Frontier's film collection and Plus. Even TBS added English subs to both K-On! releases.

But we do have quite a good amount of shows with English subtitles included - Black Rock Shooter (both TV & OVA), Buddy Complex, Coppelion, Eccentric Family, Gargantia, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Love Live! (both seasons) and a lot more.

Then again, all of them depend on either the materials being available to them or they have someone who could translate and add subtitles. To me I feel they should try and add English subtitles even if it's challenging, it could help them gain more sales (probably wrong though).

Yeah, but it feels as though we just passed a 'golden age' with lots of English subtitles and lately they've become scarce again. Even JoJo has dropped them for its third arc after previously including them. I could just be paranoid, but it feels as though there was a quiet sea change and lately there's a movement against including the subtitles on the Japanese release to force foreigners to stick to the western versions.

(I am very happy to be proven wrong on this...)

R

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Digimon will be getting a new season with the original characters, It takes place about three years after Adventure 02.

I feel the whole discussion about Kill la Kill is getting particularly interesting (I guess it should be put into it's own thread).

Anywho, the latest news (some news re-mentioned since it was buried from the conversation):
- Latest chapter for Berserk will be available on September 26
- Quebec person arrested and sentenced to 60 days for watching Hentai
- 10th Anniversary of A Certain Magical Index celebrates with a crossover
- Attack on Titan 3DS game gets an update - Chain Edition with tons of features
- Guardians of the Galaxy next up on Toei's Marvel Disk Wars (X-Men was the last feature)
- Hiro Mashima will run the 400th Fairy Tail chapter plus a 1-shot in the latest Weekly Shonen Magazine
- Yen Press have the manga rights to So I Can't Play H!, based on the light novel of the same name
- Kenichi: The Mightest Disciple manga ends next week
- Anime visuals and character designs for Wolf Girl and Black Prince revealed
- Baseball manga Ace of Diamond will be receiving a stage play sometime in 2015
- Second season and recap movie of Yowapeda anime visuals revealed with trailer
- Second trailer and more photo visuals for the live-action two part Parasyte adaptation unveiled
- Anime adaptation for Parasyte (known as Parasyte: Probability of Survival) to receive 24 episodes, animated by studio Madhouse
- New Hajime no Ippo video game (known as Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting) announced for PS3, aims to recreate the best/intense moments in the franchise
- Crayon Shin-chan director Mitsuru Hongo will direct the World Trigger anime adaptation

OMG how stupid is it in Quebec to get arrested for that!

I can't decide if I'd like the AoT game or not, really depends if the gamplay "speaks" to me I guess. I wouldn't really know of another game to compare it to. Anyone? :)

Someone asked this on facebook

Is Gurren Lagann still coming out this month? What about Cowboy Bebop Blu-Ray?

Anime Limited Gurren is at replication so we're waiting for ship date, but sounds like it's fine.

"sounds like it's fine". Sounds a bit iffy lol. I will vomit blood if there's another delay, been so hyped for this release since it was first announced and now that we're two weeks away a final pushback would hurt.

Back