The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Crunchyroll also have One Piece 3D2Y, as usual Toei blocked us.

Love Live! School Idol Project Season 1 Premium Edition has sold out already, that was unexpected. No plans for reprint:
RACS said:
NISA sent us a note a couple days after our shipment arrived to let us know that the new set is already COMPLETELY SOLD OUT at wholesale, and that they WILL NOT be MAKING ANYMORE:
"Thanks to the higher retailer demand I have to tell you that the Love Live! Premium Set is now out of stock at the publisher and we cannot accept any new orders for the product..There is no plan for remanufacturing of the product at this time. But we will update you what will be the next step for this franchise. "

I think this is the first NISA release to completely sell out prior to the street date. I'm also glad we ordered a lot of the sets. Of course, we also filled a LOT of pre-orders for the set, and after it's all said and done we have a shave under a hundred sets left in the warehouse. Get em while they last, because once our current stock is gone, we won't be able to get anymore.

If you haven't pre-ordered the set, UP1 should have some stock when it arrives.

DANDY DANDY:

Autumn’s rapidly creeping in and isn’t it just the Dandiest of the seasons? It is in the UK anyway because we have a season long focus on Space Dandy and the crew of the Aloha Oe!

Very excited about all the goings on so without further ado – here’s a list of them.

SPACE DANDY – AUTUMN EVENTS:
MCM SCOTLAND EXPO: SEPTEMBER 6TH & 7TH:

1. Meet Space Dandy’s Director!

What: Meet Shingo Natsume for signings on the Anime Limited stand! For free!

How do I take part? We have 200 free signing cards to give-away on a first-come, first served basis split across the two days (125 on the Saturday, 75 on the Sunday). Anyone buying Dandy merchandise at the stand can also come along and get it signed of course!

When: Saturday – 12:00 – 13:30 | Sunday – 12:00 – 13:00

2. Hear all about Space Dandy!

What: Hosted by Anime Limited’s president, Andrew Partridge, join director of Space Dandy (Shingo Natsume) for a panel delving into Space Dandy and more in a rare chance to hear from a director in the anime industry!

How do I take part: Turn up at MCM Glasgow Comic Con’s main stage for 15:30 (check the show-guide in case that time has shifted of course) and be ready to ask questions – we’ve left a healthy amount of time for them!

When: Saturday 6th of September, MCM Comic Con Main stage.

3. Collect Space Dandy music on vinyl!

What: We’ve got an extremely limited amount of Space Dandy 8-track vinyl soundtracks coming to MCM Glasgow Comic Con to celebrate the director’s presence! We’ll be selling 20 of them at the event for £18 – these aren’t available on general sale as they were an event-only sale in Japan so grab your piece of Dandy history on a first-come-first-served basis!

How do I take part: Swing by the Anime Limited stand and grab one while stock lasts!

When: Throughout MCM Scotland Comic Con

MCM LONDON COMIC CON – OCTOBER: OCTOBER 24TH & 26TH:

1. Special guest!

What: Ohohoho! We have a special guest coming to MCM London – it’s a familiar face too back for a second time and he’s been super busy this year! Expect a Dandy panel among the obvious signing sessions on Saturday and Sunday with him and more. We’ll update this section when everything is official.

How do I take part: Be at London Comic Con in October – simple as that!

When: October 24th – 26th

2. Space Dandy – Season 1 launch!

What: It’s true – we’re aiming to have Space Dandy Season 1 available for sale at MCM Comic Con! We’ll have more information at the event but obviously we have some promotional tricks up our sleeve there so you don’t want to miss out! Pre-ordered it on Amazon? Don’t cancel your order in a rush as we’ll have special gifts for you too ;)!

How do I take part: Be at London Comic Con in October – simple as that!

When: October 24th – 26th

LEEDS FILM FESTIVAL: NOVEMBER 9TH

What: We couldn’t say yet, they’ve not said yet either! So watch this space! All we can say to avoid misleading is it’s not a guest-based event :)

How do I take part: Go to their Anime Day – you won’t be disappointed I can assure you.

When: November 9th

AUCHINAWA: NOVEMBER 14TH – 16TH:

What: It’s their last EVER event – so we want to make sure they go forwards following the Dandy way to live! We’ve not even told them what we have in mind yet so we couldn’t possibly say what we have in mind yet! Instead we recommend you register for their weekend event here: http://www.auchinawa.org.uk. Again it’s not guest related.

How do I take part: Register here - http://www.auchinawa.org.uk then just await further information ;)!

When: November 14th – 16th

Phew! That’s quite a bit of information isn’t it? Well first up – MCM Glasgow Comic Con and we’re really psyched!

PRE-ORDER DETAILS FOR SEASON 1?
Want to pre-order Dandy now? Well right now you can pre-order at Amazon here for DVD and Blu-Ray:

DVD: Space Dandy Season 1 – on DVD

Blu-Ray: Space Dandy Season 1 – on BD

Both sets will contain:

- Collector’s edition rigid packaging

- Episodes 1-13

- 200 page artbook from the series! How cool is that?

More details to follow including visuals over the next month so watch this space!

Until then, live life to the Dandiest folks!

- Andrew,
President, Anime Limited

Source: Anime Limited Blog

Arbalest said:
I'm not sure what to make of the line-up. But here goes

Dragonball Z - i'll watch. It still has a soft spot for me, so definitely soemthing i'll go for
Bayonetta - Sure, i love the game, so i'll give this a bash
Honneamise - I've never seen it before! so i'll use this as a good excuse to finally sit down and enjoy it
Sword of the Stranger - Good excuse to finally see it, so yeah sure
Time of Eve - I expect i'll be told to watch it anyways by some. Sitting on the fence with it, but will probably check it out
Studio Bones talk - Count me in
Appleseed - i'm not that interested honestly. Might end up passing
Giovanni's Island - I thought this was pokemon related at first, but it has an interesting concept, so i could check it out.
K - Think i may pass on this one.
Lupin vs Conan - i was so hoping Andrew could have picked up Gravestone for the event, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. I fear this isn't a good choice either considering how poorly received the film is. I love lupin so i'm almost instinctively wanting to try it, but i know i should probably fear the worst with it.
Mystery Film - Errrrr. I almost thought the mini-series of Patema Inverted actually. Not sure for this one

I wondered how people would react to this year's line-up so this is pretty handy!

Giovanni's Island - I strongly recommend this one. For me it's a very important film both creatively and historically but it's also very well constructed - winning both at Annecy for Jury distinction and the Audience _AND_ Satoshi Kon award in Fantasia Film Fest in Canada

For Gravestone - basically at 50 minutes it was impossible to find a way to do it easily as we'd have to double it with something and my main choices just weren't an option here.

This year's focus was a nice breather really - less new films on the floor but a whole load of great ones that slipped from us before in a great way to watch it. My personal do-not-miss highlights are:

- Giovanni's Island
- Wings of Honneamise
- Ghost in the Shell
- Time of Eve

Personally all deserve a big screen watch, although for us GiTS is in Glasgow only as a note :).

Hopefully folks give it a spin this year, plenty to try anyway! Always worry I'm letting folks down or something!

Andrew

Lawrence said:
Professor Irony said:
In fairness, the Lupin vs. Conan film is said to be marginally better than the underwhelming tv special, but like Arby, I am deeply disappointed that it isn't the Gravestone of Jigen Daisuke instead.
This.

Nothing else jumps out at me immediately but last year's line up was pretty tight, so I'm not surprised that it's a hard act to follow up. Doesn't help that I'm not too fussy about seeing DBZ, which I imagine is a bigger deal for some. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen the Idolm@ster movie but I get the feeling I'd be the only one in the cinema, had it come to be.

That said, I'm still looking forward to this year. It'll no doubt be plenty of fun either way.

Again to both of you - strongly recommend Giovanni's Island especially if in the Glasgow Weekend because it's a really rare chance to meet Nishikubo-san who's worked very closely with Oshii over the years.

Re lack of Daisuke Jigen - see above but yeah, we did try but at circa 50 mins and nothing that worked to back it with (we wanted to do Harmonie but the committee for Lupin is very strict) so we were blocked. It's very hard to justify the price of entry for something that short.

Never going to win them all every year on line-up I guess alas! Again though I strongly recommend Giovanni on the big screen :).

AP

If I could get to Scotland i'd love to watch Giovanni, only watched the trailer last week and It was a bit special.

I suppose i'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray ;)

anime_andrew said:
Giovanni's Island - I strongly recommend this one. For me it's a very important film both creatively and historically but it's also very well constructed - winning both at Annecy for Jury distinction and the Audience _AND_ Satoshi Kon award in Fantasia Film Fest in Canada

I see what you did there. Just kidding, since I don't have time/cash for these festivals (Uni reasons) I'll be missing out but I'm looking forward to watching that film in the future (for some reason it feels like Grave of the Fireflies).

As for Gravestone, surprised to know it's only 51 minutes. I hope the hype would be worth it though. Shame it can't be distributed but hey it's not the end of the world.

britguy said:
I assume it's the costs of licensing the dubs from say Bandai for 5cm per second (which I believe was the one they were stuck negotiating on)
I seem to recall that the second dub for 5cm/s was commissioned by Comix Wave themselves.

Jon O Fun said:
Jesus christ Sentai are worse than Manga for giving non answers to questions! :p
Seriously? ADV were infamous for "I can neither confirm or deny" years before Manga had any social media presence.

Kirito said:
The Garden of Sinners has been rated 18 by the BBFC for a variety of reasons. A bit of a shock at first since Right Stuf says the US release is 16+. (I haven't personally seen it yet.)
Drug references maybe? The one film dealt with drugs and the main characters are also still in school.

Shiroi Hane said:
Kirito said:
The Garden of Sinners has been rated 18 by the BBFC for a variety of reasons. A bit of a shock at first since Right Stuf says the US release is 16+. (I haven't personally seen it yet.)
Drug references maybe? The one film dealt with drugs and the main characters are also still in school.

Movies 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7 (the 18 rated films) mainly mentioned Strong Bloody amounts of Violence and Gore. In addition there were mentions of Strong Sex, Sexualised Threat/Violence and Suicide references.

anime_andrew said:
I wondered how people would react to this year's line-up so this is pretty handy!

For Gravestone - basically at 50 minutes it was impossible to find a way to do it easily as we'd have to double it with something and my main choices just weren't an option here.

This year's focus was a nice breather really - less new films on the floor but a whole load of great ones that slipped from us before in a great way to watch it. My personal do-not-miss highlights are:

- Giovanni's Island
- Wings of Honneamise
- Ghost in the Shell
- Time of Eve

Personally all deserve a big screen watch, although for us GiTS is in Glasgow only as a note :).

Hopefully folks give it a spin this year, plenty to try anyway! Always worry I'm letting folks down or something!

Andrew

Hey Andrew! Thanks for the reply.

You've caught my interest with Giovanni's Island, so i think i'll certainly give that one a watch.

On Gravestone: I actually didn't realise the film was only due to be 50 minutes long, so i can completely understand your worries here. I'm trying to think what other lupin films would've been ideal to fit in as an extra 50 minute stand-alone but nothings really coming to mind. Most i've seen end up being in the region of an hour and a half. It would still be fantastic to see on the big screen, but perhaps at another time when the selections are a bit more allowing.

The only thing i'll miss here though will be the Ghost in the Shell showing in glasgow, purely because i'll be able to get to the edinburgh showings only, but i do intend to catch the rest. Again, Honneamise has been on my to-watch list for a good while now, and this feels like a perfect opportunity to catch it. I'm going in more or less blind, but the main thing i've heard is that it should be watched at least once.

Don't worry about it either, i still think it's fantastic that we get an anime festival every year now, it's an excuse to get to the cinema to watch some films that i may not always check out.

I was going to ask though, is that the entire Edinburgh roster announced now, or do we have the possibility of something else sneaking in for the monday - wednesday showings? I'm gathering it's all, but i like to push my luck a little, hah.

anime_andrew said:
Re lack of Daisuke Jigen - see above but yeah, we did try but at circa 50 mins and nothing that worked to back it with (we wanted to do Harmonie but the committee for Lupin is very strict) so we were blocked. It's very hard to justify the price of entry for something that short.
AP

Regrettable, but entirely understandable. Thinking back, I do remember reading about the short running time somewhere, but it didn't sink in. Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Arbalest said:
Hey Andrew! Thanks for the reply.

You've caught my interest with Giovanni's Island, so i think i'll certainly give that one a watch.

Totally worth doing on the big screen I have to say - was pleasantly surprised by it :).

Arbalest said:
On Gravestone: I actually didn't realise the film was only due to be 50 minutes long, so i can completely understand your worries here. I'm trying to think what other lupin films would've been ideal to fit in as an extra 50 minute stand-alone but nothings really coming to mind. Most i've seen end up being in the region of an hour and a half. It would still be fantastic to see on the big screen, but perhaps at another time when the selections are a bit more allowing.

Yeah that is the issue by and large, we discussed it with TMS for ages but it just didn't make a great deal of sense when something like HARMONIE would have been perfect so in the end it was settled on that we give Lupin vs Conan a shot. Mixed reactions ahoy but it still has a value from a cinema programmer's point of view :).

Arbalest said:
The only thing i'll miss here though will be the Ghost in the Shell showing in glasgow, purely because i'll be able to get to the edinburgh showings only, but i do intend to catch the rest. Again, Honneamise has been on my to-watch list for a good while now, and this feels like a perfect opportunity to catch it. I'm going in more or less blind, but the main thing i've heard is that it should be watched at least once.

Ghost in the Shell I left out as Cameo is doing it in September but nobody has it for Glasgow - which we thought was a crying shame and deserved to be remedied really :). Honneamise is well worth watching though - nicely in time for our Collector's Edition as well before it's release so is a good chance to watch the film as originally intended if nothing else :).

Arbalest said:
Don't worry about it either, i still think it's fantastic that we get an anime festival every year now, it's an excuse to get to the cinema to watch some films that i may not always check out.

I appreciate that one! It's always a tough act to follow when you have a line-up as stellar as 2013 - I'd like to think we've done no worse than our 2012 line-up really all in all (better I may even argue). As long as people come along and take part even if it's just one film that grabs their eye - then that's pretty much all I can ask for anyway - and I'll keep doing it til nobody shows up!

Arbalest said:
I was going to ask though, is that the entire Edinburgh roster announced now, or do we have the possibility of something else sneaking in for the monday - wednesday showings? I'm gathering it's all, but i like to push my luck a little, hah.

I've already got 3 films on the weekdays just not visible yet and 2 more films I am chasing to lock down so watch this space :).

Andrew

Looks like a new movie has been announced:

Ano_Hana_2015_Anime_Film_Announcement_Image.jpg

UPDATE - And I guess no one has a clue, thankfully CR has an article about it.

----------------

Claymore manga will be ending in October.

animefreak17 said:
They should do a second season of HOTD

Not really, despite having 3 volumes left to adapt there's not enough material to cover an entire season. I would rather wait for volume 8 to be made then have a second season.

Back