The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
Just Passing Through said:
Artwork practically always has to be cleared with the Japanese licensor.
How do MVM get theirs cleared then?
Maybe crappy cover art will become the next thing to cripple international releases!

I don't think MvM covers are bad, just mediocre tbh. You do have to wonder why they don't look for better pieces of artwork to use, surely the fact they have the liscence also means they have access to what ever artwork is available? Afterall the liscensor wants it to sell well as thats more cash for them too.

This has been a great week full of announces and Sunday it will be revealed the theatrical title from anime limited. Seems like the uk market is more active than never i guess. Maybe note.... :mrgreen:

Rosencrantz said:
I don't think MvM covers are bad, just mediocre tbh. You do have to wonder why they don't look for better pieces of artwork to use, surely the fact they have the liscence also means they have access to what ever artwork is available? Afterall the liscensor wants it to sell well as thats more cash for them too.

Sadly this isn't the case; it's been mentioned by a few companies that they're only allowed to use certain art assets. Perhaps some companies are more flexible than others but it's really obvious sometimes, like when the same set uses the same picture on the box, the sleeve, the discs and the menu. Then for another series by the same anime company you get plenty of gorgeous artwork everywhere. NISA seem very good at shaking nice art out of the Japanese companies, probably because they grab as much as they can to make their artbooks.

Sometimes for MVM's covers (sorry MVM!) they use the same base artwork as the US edition but because of the placement of the logos etc it looks cheaper. It's weird.

R

Good on MVM for going with a BD release, I will reward them by purchasing it.

Cover art doesn't look too bad either, though I note it's yet to have BBFC or the very literal pictorial symbol of the number of discs in a set (just in case you don't have a firm grasp of how many "two" is) applied.

ayase said:
Good on MVM for going with a BD release, I will reward them by purchasing it.

Cover art doesn't look too bad either, though I note it's yet to have BBFC or the very literal pictorial symbol of the number of discs in a set (just in case you don't have a firm grasp of how many "two" is) applied.
Seeing as the cover art shows Sentai's and MVM's logos on the cover, i wonder if this will be a joint release - Like how apparently Sentai's Space Pirates shows Hanabee's logo when played on a region B player.

Or it could just be a placeholder and I am completely wrong.
Let's just hope this isn't a crippled 1080i release.

Mangaranga said:
i wonder if this will be a joint release - Like how apparently Sentai's Space Pirates shows Hanabee's logo when played on a region B player.

Whoa, really? I don't have a region B player but that's pretty neat use of the technology!

If it is this kind of joint release I'd be very interested, since my hardware is all region A at the moment but I have no particular objections to physically purchasing elsewhere.

R

Mangaranga said:
ayase said:
Seeing as the cover art shows Sentai's and MVM's logos on the cover, i wonder if this will be a joint release - Like how apparently Sentai's Space Pirates shows Hanabee's logo when played on a region B player.

Or it could just be a placeholder and I am completely wrong.
They have used obvious placeholder art recently which is just the Sentai cover (Dream Eater Merry, Mayo Chiki and Waiting in the Summer). Since this also includes the MVM logo I'd say it will be like that on the release.
It might be a sub-license, like Angel Beats was for Manga. I think Sentai have either got back into the game of picking up UK rights or they are just getting thrown in with the US license.

Rui said:
Sadly this isn't the case; it's been mentioned by a few companies that they're only allowed to use certain art assets. Perhaps some companies are more flexible than others but it's really obvious sometimes, like when the same set uses the same picture on the box, the sleeve, the discs and the menu. Then for another series by the same anime company you get plenty of gorgeous artwork everywhere. NISA seem very good at shaking nice art out of the Japanese companies, probably because they grab as much as they can to make their artbooks.

Sometimes for MVM's covers (sorry MVM!) they use the same base artwork as the US edition but because of the placement of the logos etc it looks cheaper. It's weird.
Jonathan Clements has mentioned cases where for older shows there is only one piece of key art remaining. For newer stuff it is just red tape and how long you are prepared to spend cutting through it with a butter knife. OTOH, I remember people complaining about FUNimation putting unique art on the disposable spacers in their vol 1+box sets, but their reply was they just wanted to make use of all the art assets they had.
Back when MVM distro'd for FUNi the sleeve was always just the FUNi cover with added MVM and BBFC logos (but never reversible as they put adverts on the back) but always really washed out.
At least we're past the days of ADV's original Eva DVDs where the back covers were horribly jaggy like they had been made at the wrong size and blown up.

Madman are releasing Jormungand, Planzet, and Toriko.

They are also releasing Planzet on DVD and Blu-ray (which we didn't get here). Probably have fair disc authoring too, and might even have extra features in English not locked away behind a French menu...

Geneon titles are now coming out inAU through Universal Sony... and it looks like they've finally picked up Shana Season 2.

Will be interesting to see if they give it a PAL conversion. MVM are releasing NTSC discs here.

It looks like Sony are re-releasing Haibane Renmei in AU, and people are speculating about a potential Blu-ray for that. There's also a resubmission to their BBFC equivalent for Serial Experiments Lain.

My hopes exactly - however there is no mechanism in place for obtaining PAL masters from Sony Universal, and I'm reminded of how Manga was unable to access Sony's dub for Blood+...

They asked on Twitter once if anyone would buy NTSC DVDs, then IIRC they realised that would make us the same as Japan (NTSC region 2) so they suddenly said it was impossible.

Of course, other companies do it, and Japan is embracing BD nowadays, so I really think the benefits outweigh the difficulties ^^;

R

Back