The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Pity the Broken Blade BD didn't do well enough to convince MVM that it's viable format. I remember them being pleased that the BD had more pre-orders than the DVD.

Tony of MVM said that although the preorders for the BD were good, over time the DVD sales were still significantly better. However, it was noted that the Expo crowd specifically had been buying BDs more than DVDs at the stands. He did add that where possible, he's been careful to include BD rights for all of his new licenses where possible in order to be able to use the format where it's viable. He's not anti-BD in any way, just keen to avoid getting into trouble Manga-style by moving too fast.

Separately, Jerome noted that they expect BD costs to come down significantly in the new year.

Joshawott said:
FUNimation have the UK rights to Higurashi, but due to the parties involved, it would be difficult to license.

I believe this is mistaken; IIRC they said that FUNimation does not have UK rights to Higurashi (if they did, they'd be able to easily sublicense it from them). The problem is that due to corporate politics with parent companies it's not currently possible for Manga to license directly from Geneon in Japan who hold the UK rights (they didn't say Geneon, but that is who they were talking about). Therefore, if you want Higurashi, nag MVM or Kaze instead. They have far more negotiating power in this unique situation, and Tony of MVM directly stated that he found fan suggestions for titles interesting and that he prefers TV series over movies.

R

I'd rather have delays, than series being entirely unavailable (i.e. the FUNimation licenses). While it's annoying having to watch Magi a few days later than my friends, the overall situation is improving for us.

R

Joshawott said:
Kazé:
Due to being sub only, Bakuman might be DVD only. Being looked into though.
BLEACH season 10 will have 10-11 eps per volume. Feb/March for volume 1 and Spring for volume 2.
Journey to Agartha due out 28th January, with a special edition.
Home video rights for K have been picked up.
Interested in Magi.
UN-Go confirmed for 2013.
Mirai Nikki, Mawaru Penguindrum, Nura slated for 2013.
Contrary to earlier reports, Tiger & Bunny 1 is due out in February.

Bleh, Kaze. Lose the Sub locking, then I'll give you my money.
Otherwise interested in getting the R1 versions of Mirai Nikki, Mawaru Penguindrum and Un-Go

Joshawott said:
MangaUK:
Possible steelbook release of Blood-C
FUNimation has UK rights to Fairy Tail and the movie, so expect the newly licensed eps in the UK at some point.
Fractale is delayed so MangaUK can co-author with Siren Visual.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa BD delayed again due to further problems with the master (Why are they even bothering to release it?)
Hope to release Guilty Crown on DVD and BD next year.
FUNimation have the UK rights to Higurashi, but due to the parties involved, it would be difficult to license.
King of Thorn still licensed. Release hopefully next year.
Panty & Stocking on bluray might happen next year.
Redakai has been licensed for 2013 release.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has sold over 70,000 copies

Interested in the Unlimited Blade Works movie. No license though.
Less paranoid about sub only releases due to success of Blue Exorcist.Might look into Kara no Kyoukai, Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari.

I already have FSN:UBW, but I thought MVM would get it since they have the TV series.
I would LOVE Manga, and personally hug Jeromeo if he did a sub bluray for KnK, as unrealistic as it looks. Nice to know they have changed their stance on Sub releases though.
Otherwise, only really interested in Guilty Crown and the Blood-C movie if I don't get the Funi releases first.
And I agree, they should just cancel their Shambala BD release.
I also personally think that we won't see a Panty & Stocking Bluray here.

Joshawott said:
MVM:
Broken Blade sold better than expected, but not enough to fully convince them on bluray releases.
CANAAN in March 2013
Dream Eater Merry in March 2013
Don't have bluray rights for FCLC, so might go back and look into that.
Ga-Rai-Zero in April 2013
Majikoi: Samurai Girls in 2013
Needless in January-February 2013
Shana II in April 2013 (Anime-On-Line gave this away a while ago though).

Bodacious Space Pirates, Mayoi Chiki and Kids on the Slope for 2013.

Interested in Sakamichi no Apollon, Shana II and Space Pirates.
Unfortunately MVM tend to take ages to get their titles out, and their current stance on Bluray means I'm more likely than not to Import instead of waiting around to see what they do.

Joshawott said:
AniplexUSA have the UK rights to Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero - MVM looking into Fate/Zero.

There is no way MVM will get Fate/Zero. I would only be interested in a Bluray anyway.
I get the feeling that even they did and it got a release on Bluray, it would be a heavily compressed release like in France. (1 BD Disc for 13 episodes. What??)
I wish Aniplex would do some releases here themselves though, although I doubt that they would like to deal with the smaller market and additional fees. (BBFC fees, etc.)

Maybe I'm spoiled by being able to import US releases, and having a much larger variety of Anime available, but none of these announcements really wowed me personally. (Other than Manga looking into more sub releases.)

Rui said:
I'd rather have delays, than series being entirely unavailable (i.e. the FUNimation licenses). While it's annoying having to watch Magi a few days later than my friends, the overall situation is improving for us.

R
It's not the delays of a few days that bother me. Watching a series a week behind the airing date (and fansubs) is fine. It's the cases like To-Love Ru Darkness which has had a single episode posted and then nothing for the best part of three weeks. I can appreciate that the past few weeks have been busy for Andrew with working through SLA and the Expo, but the site really needs to be nailing this free period in terms of either keeping stuff on schedule or at least keeping visitors informed as to what the delay is and when it'll be resolved.

I've pretty much given up on Anime On Demand right now. The only show I was watching was To Love Ru Darkness and that's got stupidly behind - 4 episodes have aired and only one episode is currently up.

I think with Anime On Demand, it seems to be Andrew is only bothered. Andrew has festivals on-going and boom, activity is down. Which is ashame - Kaze need to be putting in more effort into the project themselves because at the moment, it doesn't certainly look like they're doing much.

Will comment on licenses later.

It's really REALLY galling to have Manga put out Redikai. It's geting airing on CN and CITV, I think that was going to get a two bob DVD release from somewhere regardless.

I mean a season release deal for Inazuama Eleven would have been nice or something. Sure Nintendo wouldn't mind the publicity.

The To Love Ru Darkness situation was originally caused by Section23, though, so it's very unfortunate. I still don't understand why we got punished for something America did, but the exact details of the delays in that particular case are probably more complicated than they would normally be :s

Mangaranga: Regarding UBW, MVM specifically said they prefer not to go after movies as they cost a lot more, they want to leave them to Manga for the most part (and Manga prefer movies, so it works well for both of them).

R

Rui said:
The To Love Ru Darkness situation was originally caused by Section23, though, so it's very unfortunate. I still don't understand why we got punished for something America did, but the exact details of the delays in that particular case are probably more complicated than they would normally be :s

Don't they have the license for Chuunibyou (Which is quite enjoyable), but have yet to show ANY of it?
Pretty sure TAN are showing it.
I find it silly that AoD market themselves as a simulcast service. More of a Latecast service, both now and previously.
They want to push legal services when in reality their service is worse than other methods.

Joshawott said:
Due to being sub only, Bakuman might be DVD only. Being looked into though.
Still happening, good.
Joshawott said:
Mirai Nikki, Mawaru Penguindrum, Nura slated for 2013.
Great, I was hoping Manga / Kaze would get Mirai Nikki.
Joshawott said:
Contrary to earlier reports, Tiger & Bunny 1 is due out in February.
Viz don't want us to have early releases?
Joshawott said:
FUNimation has UK rights to Fairy Tail and the movie, so expect the newly licensed eps in the UK at some point.
Ace, my brothers are enjoying watching the series.
Joshawott said:
Fractale is delayed so MangaUK can co-author with Siren Visual.
Cheaper costs I assume, oh well. Though they shouldn't have put a date down if they intended to change their plans.
Joshawott said:
FUNimation have the UK rights to Higurashi
I thought Funimation let it expire?
Joshawott said:
Less paranoid about sub only releases due to success of Blue Exorcist.
Good.
Joshawott said:
Shana II in April 2013 (Anime-On-Line gave this away a while ago though).
Apart from Shana, I don't really know of any MVM's new announcements so may be pick ups in the future. Also isn't it March? If so, busy month for MVM anyway. ~
Mangaranga said:
Don't they have the license for Chuunibyou (Which is quite enjoyable), but have yet to show ANY of it?
Yes, TAN only started showing it recently after all the mess with To Love Ru Darkness.

On Tiger and Bunny, the correct date is 14th January - the reason there are two dates is that Andrew's was corrected by Jerome at the panel so some reporters probably missed it (presumably it had been moving about before being pinned down and they had different information). And yes, Shana 2 was March rather than April. And the Higurashi statement is backwards as I said before - Funimation don't have the UK rights which is the reason Manga can't pick them up. But MVM/Kaze probably can if enough people want it.

R

All I can say is, how the heck is my wallet going to take all of this?

Good stuff all around. :D

I don't think this has been mentioned around here but the Hosoda film retrospective looks like it will make it's way onto home video too with a collection of all three films in one package. I was kind of hoping that might happen :)

Mangaranga said:
Rui said:

I find it silly that AoD market themselves as a simulcast service. More of a Latecast service, both now and previously.
They want to push legal services when in reality their service is worse than other methods.
On TLR: The japanese are paranoid about streaming so once something undue is done once they assume everyone's at it (See also, France and Persona 4)

The late cast thing is getting annoying and the fact that Andrew seems to be the only sane voice again is downright demoralising.

It'll come to the point where AOD is actively getting in the way of other services people have paid for (CR, mostly) and people will start to get annoyed and start flying the Jolly Rodger.

reborn said:
Joshawott said:
FUNimation have the UK rights to Higurashi
I thought Funimation let it expire?

I'm sure I read that somewhere too, they didn't like the way sales went and intended not to go for any similar shows.

Good to see sub only titles working in the UK, someone cut a deal and get Toradora over here with that OAV the Aussies are getting.

"Dear customer

Currently Funimation have the rights to it, yet there are also other parties involved and getting the license is proving quite difficult to come to terms with.

We are looking into it, yet if it's too much of a hassle to deal with, chances are we won't bother...still never say never in this business."

Email I got this morning :(

Some news from down under...

Cardcaptor Sakura may have a slight fault with its audio, so early importers should be aware...

On certain episodes on disc 2 of collection 1(second half of episode 14 comes to mind, I didn't notice anything wrong with disc one) the subs seem to get more and more out of sync as the episode goes on.

and there's a rough date for the release of Nichijou of March 2013, although yet to be confirmed

Back