The HMV Thread

Unknownfate said:
The banks own HMV now...
So wait, the banks are propping up an unprofitable business which should by rights have collapsed by now?

HMV's main lenders are taxpayer-backed Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Banking Group.
Perhaps they see HMV as a kindred spirit.

Mutsumi said:
I assumed there was cable in the major cities nowadays, because I have seen adverts for cable broadband. Was there cable TV in cities ten years ago though, which judging by the post that started all this, it the kind of time in question?
Well over ten years, yeah. Certainly we had it while I was still in high school.

Its the way things are going, and trying to carry on like they are is just going to be their downfall.

With stores like Cex selling preowned games, dvds, music, consoles, tvs and other technical gadgets for usually better prices than most high street stores, its already hard for HMV to turn a profit. Not to mention that these days the music industry is mostly based on downloading rather than going to stores now. Its just much more convenient to buy a digital copy as it saves time and space (in cases money too)

I think that ist good that they are trying to stick around (hell most of the stores like virgin and zavvi are completely gone from the high st.) But i doubt its practical anymore.

I would love CEX if you didn't have to queue for an hour to buy a three quid DVD. I have actually given up while in the queue on several occasions. Time is money, after all.

ayase said:
Maxon said:
ayase said:
HMV retail stores are screwed because they abandoned their core market for gimmicky tat. The music section in Leeds HMV is about a quarter of the size it used to be
That's because they probably moved a lot of it to Fopp.
I wouldn't know. There are what, eight Fopp stores in the entire country?
Surely there's more. There's at least two here in Edinburgh.

ayase said:
I would love CEX if you didn't have to queue for an hour to buy a three quid DVD. I have actually given up while in the queue on several occasions. Time is money, after all.

Just order it online, free delivery and they always post it within 24 hours (1st class too)

Its handy knowing you could order something today and it'll arrive on friday. And not have to waste time at the shop surrounded by morons who just like to stand in place and take up room.... not to mention the staff seem very lazy up and down the country (generally speaking)

Maxon said:
ayase said:
Maxon said:
ayase said:
HMV retail stores are screwed because they abandoned their core market for gimmicky tat. The music section in Leeds HMV is about a quarter of the size it used to be
That's because they probably moved a lot of it to Fopp.
I wouldn't know. There are what, eight Fopp stores in the entire country?
Surely there's more. There's at least two here in Edinburgh.

Come to one of our eight stores across the country.

Looks like it is 8 stores judging by their store locator (and there are 2 in Glasgow)

http://www.foppreturns.com/stores/

I seem to have inadvertently caused quite a kerfuffle of sorts =P By Cable I meant...well anything with more than 4 channels =P (our house doesn't even receive channel 5 w/o freeview)

I don't know the specifics but we definitely can get cable and satellite over here, it's just I've never had it or needed it, I'm quite happy with freeview.

animefreak17 said:
i was on the hmv website and i wanted to use release date at the top but its not there anymore

Then just search the titles individually. its common sense, im not sure why your posting about something not being there. Its not stopped you finding the titles you want.

In my mind i picture you like an ant in a line... someone smudges the scent line and you stand there lost forever unless another ant comes along and guides you back to the line.

A metaphor for the way you work but true.

Tachi said:
animefreak17 said:
i was on the hmv website and i wanted to use release date at the top but its not there anymore

Then just search the titles individually. its common sense, im not sure why your posting about something not being there. Its not stopped you finding the titles you want.

In my mind i picture you like an ant in a line... someone smudges the scent line and you stand there lost forever unless another ant comes along and guides you back to the line.

A metaphor for the way you work but true.
i know finding them individually is better but i like to look at lists of
release date
prices
popular
ya know

reborn said:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/releaseDate.do?ctx=-1;5;68;-1;2&pGroupID=5&pSubGroupID=2&pGenreID=68&pTertiaryID=-1&primaryID=5&subPrimaryID=2&secondaryID=68&tertiaryID=-1 ?

Anime is listed under movies.
your a star

Anyone having a problem with the order conformation page while using Firefox? I wasn't able to place the cursor inside the security code box, and the cancel and confirm buttons weren't working either. Fired up Opera and I completed the order with no issue. OS is Linux Mint btw.

Can't say much for Firefox but I always have the same problem on Chrome. I'll already be signed in to my account yet when I go to checkout it takes me back to the login page and I have to sign in again. Strange.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Anyone having a problem with the order conformation page while using Firefox? I wasn't able to place the cursor inside the security code box, and the cancel and confirm buttons weren't working either. Fired up Opera and I completed the order with no issue. OS is Linux Mint btw.

Can't say I had any problems when I ordered something from them earlier in the week.

HMV finally going under?

Le Sources
Unfortunately, it wasn't a matter of "If", it was "When" and it could be tomorrow.

Note to self: Do not hire Trevor Moore.

EDIT: BBC just confirmed it.

Re: HMV finally going under?

Yeah i read this earlier. So they are on the move of going to administration. Looks like my move to go into town on wednesday may not be badly placed. We'll see where things go tomorrow.

Back