The HMV Thread

You can still buy anime in shops??

Sorry, I upgraded to cheap internet deals a while ago and never looked back. I don't remember the last time I stepped foot in an HMV. Early naughties latest.

but if we dont have at least a store that sells animes then how are new fans suppose to be born, if a person get wants to find out about anime and wants to know what all the fuss is all about how are they going to get there dvds

animefreak17 said:
but if we dont have at least a store that sells animes then how are new fans suppose to be born, if a person get wants to find out about anime and wants to know what all the fuss is all about how are they going to get there dvds

The same way we do: The Internet =P I'd say that most anime fandom is born, or at least spread, online. I first got into anime via the internet through chance. I was looking up the Slice of Life genre on wiki after checking out Questionable Content's entry and it said Genshiken was a slice of life anime and thus I fell head first into the world of anime.

Also friend recommendations and such.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:

The same way we do: The Internet =P I'd say that most anime fandom is born, or at least spread, online. I first got into anime via the internet through chance. I was looking up the Slice of Life genre on wiki after checking out Questionable Content's entry and it said Genshiken was a slice of life anime and thus I fell head first into the world of anime.

Also friend recommendations and such.
mine was tv-
dragon ballz
pokemon
yugioh
tenchi
outlaw star
sci-fi anime back on the sci-fi channel
anime on other channels
friend recommended
naruto
eva

See I never had cable (still don't) so I only got Pokémon, Digimon etc. I wouldn't say those necessarily create fans either, while I knew it was called anime, I just thought of it as "another cartoon" rather than part of something bigger and it didn't get me into anime, though it was the first I watched.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
See I never had cable (still don't) so I only got Pokémon, Digimon etc. I wouldn't say those necessarily create fans either, while I knew it was called anime, I just thought of it as "another cartoon" rather than part of something bigger and it didn't get me into anime, though it was the first I watched.

I didn't know you could even get cable TV in the UK? You hear it mentioned on US shows, but I've never seen a word about it here, and if it were here, you'd expect to see adverts for it.

Jaymii said:
Haven't you heard of Virgin?
i have and it was a hell of a place at the time it rivalled even hmv at one time
hell if there wasn't something in hmv i wanted id go to virgin to have a look round. at least i had my opposition of what stores to look in first

animefreak17 said:
i have and it was a hell of a place at the time it rivalled even hmv at one time
hell if there wasn't something in hmv i wanted id go to virgin to have a look round. at least i had my opposition of what stores to look in first
good memory

Lawrence said:
animefreak17 said:
Jaymii said:

Actually, in this context he is talking about the cable service, 'Virgin', not the shop 'Virgin Megastores'.

Is cable TV only available in big cities then, like is the case with 50mb broadband and such?

Lawrence said:
animefreak17 said:
Jaymii said:

Actually, in this context he is talking about the cable service, 'Virgin', not the shop 'Virgin Megastores'.
.......................oops lol

Mutsumi said:
Is cable TV only available in big cities then, like is the case with 50mb broadband and such?
Not necessarily. Freeview is basic cable. Most people have Sky/Satelite over here and while they have that in America, cable dominates.

Jaymii said:
Mutsumi said:
Not necessarily. Freeview is basic cable. Most people have Sky/Satelite over here and while they have that in America, cable dominates.

....but Freeview is broadcast via a signal that your aerial picks up and decodes. Cable is, well, received by a cable, hence the name....

So I checked and Virgin Media own 95% of all cable market in the UK, with the other 5% at places like TopUp TV (which I kind of count as freeview).

Is there much cable coverage though? I've still yet to heard of it existing outside of major cities, for much the same reasons a broadband was at first.

When people refer to "cable" TV in this country, I automatically assume they mean "more channels than terrestrial, but not provided by Sky".

But let's put it this way, from the point of view of someone who lives in a major city suburb - I literally can't believe you didn't know that there was cable TV in the UK. Literally. So perhaps that confirms your theory.

As someone who isn't even in the UK, I've always known it's had cable. Even pre-Virgin companies like NTL and Telewest and as far back as Cable & Wireless.

Similarly, I literally can't believe there are people who think Freeview is cable. It's nothing of the sort.

HMV in new refinancing deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13678497

Troubled music and DVD retailer HMV has agreed a new refinancing deal with its lenders, worth £220m.

Chief executive Simon Fox said the new bank facility "represents another important milestone in securing the financial stability of the group".

HMV has estimated debts of £170m and has issued several profit warnings this year.

In May it sold its Waterstone's book chain to a fund controlled by Russian billionaire Alexander Mamut for £53m.

HMV retail stores are screwed because they abandoned their core market for gimmicky tat. The music section in Leeds HMV is about a quarter of the size it used to be - it's now full of t-shirts, mobile phones, discount books and football memorabilia.

Did HMV not notice that there are far more successful businesses on the high street already selling this stuff cheaper, and with greater choice? In a changing market you have to evolve or die, it's true; but HMV's idea of diversification has been just plain bizarre.

Back