The HMV Thread

christor said:
For people who frequent these forums it wouldn't really matter if there's no hmv (amazon, play etc are always cheaper, except the odd bargain in a instore sale) but it would be a blow for the industry. Don't forget the more causal fan who makes up most of the market. They don't necessarily use the internet, and like to browse. people like this making impulse buys has always been a big part of the UK market. So no hmv means less money for the anime companies which bottom line means less money to spend on licenses etc.
B&M stores are what, 20% of sales.
For niche things, like anime, online normaly dominates more than usual.
Casual means only a fan of Naruto/Bleach/Ghibli, not impulse buying stuff in stores that much.

Lawrence said:
Reaper gI said:
christor said:
For people who frequent these forums it wouldn't really matter if there's no hmv (amazon, play etc are always cheaper, except the odd bargain in a instore sale) but it would be a blow for the industry. Don't forget the more causal fan who makes up most of the market. They don't necessarily use the internet, and like to browse. people like this making impulse buys has always been a big part of the UK market. So no hmv means less money for the anime companies which bottom line means less money to spend on licenses etc.
B&M stores are what, 20% of sales.
For niche things, like anime, online normaly dominates more than usual.
Casual means only a fan of Naruto/Bleach/Ghibli, not impulse buying stuff in stores that much.

Nope, Manga UK confirmed themselves that more than 50% of all anime sales in the UK came from in-store purchases.
I'd love to know how much of actual UK online sales are US imports.
Either fansubs realy do hurt anime sales much worse than piracy hurts Hollywood, the UK is market is being parallel imported to death or the market are realy young (physical purchase due to being to young to buy online).

Not just anime, HMV is the only real DVD store left on the high street other than the handful of small local stores. The internet has all but killed the local DVD and music store.

wait if the main supplier of anime is hmv then that means......................... oh no
theres one thin thats ticked me off at bham theres 3-4 stores of hmv and there complaining about the economy. why not just have at least 2 big on side of bham and the other on the other side, or just one big giant hmv in bham instead of 3-4 just like wolverhampton infact i think hmv 10 miles away from each other like or one or two per city

No, I mean "this is the same as all your other 'where do you buy your anime from?' threads, but with HMV removed from the list of possible answers".

ilmaestro said:
No, I mean "this is the same as all your other 'where do you buy your anime from?' threads, but with HMV removed from the list of possible answers".
this is different a completely different subject
this is Emergency situation............ where are we going to buy our animes in the uk in stores that sells anime if hmvs does go bust
im not asking where do you get your animes from im asking where are we going to buy our animes in the uk in a main stream store
i can only think of
forbidden planet if i want to have a browse

I usedto buy almost eveything from hmv or virgin, now I look at prices, get disgusted and then walk away. I think there instore prices have got a lot
worse since virgin shut down, that goes for everything not just anime, they
don't have to compete anymore.

Tbh the only highstreet shop I have got anime from recently has been CEX. I like it, its like going to a jumble sale. In the last few months I have got Patlabor 1+2 (£8.00) Fullmetal Brotherhood (£10 each), Samurai Chamaploo
and Eva on blu-ray. I know that sometimes you can get stuff slightly cheeper on line, but I like the suprise of not knowing what you will find when
you go.

It won't affect me because I never buy anime from them. In fact, I just browse the anime section there to scoff at how overpriced everything is and then proceed to the CD floor to find cheap CDs.

Hmvs pricing in store seems ti be really random. The last time I was in there they had the gits 2.0/innocence double pack for £12, yet they still had the normal gits innocence dvd priced at £25, and then they even had part one of a series I cant remeber priced at £10. I have no idea how that makes any sense.

Maxon said:
It won't affect me because I never buy anime from them. In fact, I just browse the anime section there to scoff at how overpriced everything is and then proceed to the CD floor to find cheap CDs.
I was browsing The West Wing prices and noticed that the third season was the same price as all seven seasons on Amazon. Absolutely ludicrous that they can charge so much for crap. I also saw that Only Fools was marked up about 70% compared to online. Especially annoying for the older generation who like, don't browse the 'net.

Jaymii said:
Maxon said:
I was browsing The West Wing prices and noticed that the third season was the same price as all seven seasons on Amazon. Absolutely ludicrous that they can charge so much for crap. I also saw that Only Fools was marked up about 70% compared to online. Especially annoying for the older generation who like, don't browse the 'net.
It is rather silly. Although, I have bought season 1 and season 2 of House in HMV for £15 and £18 respectively. Ok, it was years ago, but still...

Our newer, smaller local HMV has now closed - the writing was on the wall when they started closing them since we already had a long-established store here.
You do, occasionally, get very good deals - while I somewhat regretted getting the first two Durarara! volumes in there as I didn't realise it was double the Amazon price the £10 I paid for the first FMA:B BD was less than the then rate on Amazon. At the time they were however selling the Nausicaa BD for more than the RRP, although it was back to a more normal price when I was in there the other day.

To myself, HMV is almost non-existent anyway. Actually, dvd shops completely. So the internet is the only place I can get anime anyway.

Then again, the same can be said of Waterstones too for me.

Aren't they just as horrendously priced? I remember going in to one in Birmingham once and if I'd had anything to drink I would've done a spittake at some of the prices.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Aren't they just as horrendously priced? I remember going in to one in Birmingham once and if I'd had anything to drink I would've done a spittake at some of the prices.

Seems the only reasonably priced anime DVDs I've seen in HMV have been from Manga Entertainment...then again I did see a Samurai Champloo (MVM title) boxset with a sale pricetag on it (£25 IIRC) a while back but yeah I agree the prices of anime (among other stuff) in HMV can be quite unreasonable. Though I do occasionally buy stuff from there anyway (especially if it's got something you can't get anywhere else like with Eva 1.11 coming with the original Eva 1.01 version)

Back