The HMV Thread

Re: HMV finally going under?

1 thing worries me, iv got one more item to wait for from HMV * Fractale complete * its 31 pounds, but UP1 has it for 17.99, how do i cancel my order when the website is down

I feel bad for the staff but in all honesty in my district they lacked many of the music cds I wanted in store (I spend a lot on music) so I'd have to order making a return visit and the dvd selection was lacking. I ended up using Amazon 95% of the time because the whole experience was better. HMV's online store was good in the mid 2000's but the stock kept shrinking and then stuff just ended up going out of stock which was no good for present buying.
I'll wish Hilco well in making the reduced number of stores work.

The windows of the Trocadero branch are emblazoned with conspicuous sale notifications. Had it not been for my self-imposed frugality and a lack of want for anything typically stocked therein, I may well have entered when I passed it by.

The times sure are a-changin. It wasn't really all that long ago I actually started buying stuff online, and now, anyone who wants the latest DVD's/ music/games pretty much has little choice other than to buy online. I'll miss the glory days of the high street, I can still remember being a youngster and getting a buzz from stepping inside the big Virgin Megastore by Tottenham Court road station (which latter became Zavvi, and after that went under seemingly became a massive market for people selling knock off clothing for a while :s what a downward spiral). The kids of this generation will know no such consumerist gratification of the physical senses :(

Well, if it continues like this, we're going to have storehouses for companies in more rural areas rather than shops on high streets. Then there'd be only corner shops and supermarkets about, and old stores will become more living spaces for the on-growing/filling-up UK population. You might have the odd red-light district or clubs and bar areas in a city, but not a clothes shop in sight.

I called it, so lets see if I'm right in the next 5-10 years.

5-10 years? We'll all be working in the Tesco Value Workhouse (a public-private partnership set up by the Con-Lib-Lab coalition government) for the privilege of having the low energy light-bulb above our hammock on for three minutes in an evening. There won't be any time (or money) to waste away on the high-street!

Zin5ki said:
The windows of the Trocadero branch are emblazoned with conspicuous sale notifications. Had it not been for my self-imposed frugality and a lack of want for anything typically stocked therein, I may well have entered when I passed it by.

From what I hear, it might not be fully closed; The video gaming section, Gamerbase, might stay at the Trocadero assuming talks go smoothly. I hope it stays, considering that since Funland's closure there hasn't been that much in term of gaming at the Trocadero.

Chaz said:
but not a clothes shop in sight.

I disagree; clothing is still a 'high street' thing and will continue to be, because clothing is something consumers need to see in person and try on to be confident to buy. Sizing, especially for women, is not a consistent thing between different retailers, and often pictures will not be good enough to judge clothing by.

Lawrence said:
That's a bit of a scary thought.
Really? That's the toned-down version where we're all still alive.

Mutsumi said:
Chaz said:
but not a clothes shop in sight.
I disagree; clothing is still a 'high street' thing and will continue to be, because clothing is something consumers need to see in person and try on to be confident to buy. Sizing, especially for women, is not a consistent thing between different retailers, and often pictures will not be good enough to judge clothing by.
Ah, but once you have a digital 3D model of yourself which you can use in conjunction with websites to digitally "try on" their clothes the high street clothes shops will be just as redundant. You're probably right that they'll be the last to go though. That is, if we weren't all going to be wearing our high-vis safety coveralls at all times, as mandated by The Health and Safety Executive and rented to us for £200 a month.

Last edited by a moderator:

You seriously think that many companies are going to go out-of-their-way to cater for "3d try-on" holograms and high-tech imagery? (Okay, high tech, as of now, but still... I think they'll see it as too much effort. "Stick an image on our Ebay shop, they can figure out the rest.") Would be nice though... :D

Mutsumi's got a point when it comes to measurement in clothes and the desire to try on in person and be able to make a firm decision. But I still think that there's a possible philosophy or direction that clothes companies will be monopolised into large shopping malls or out-of-town warehouses, rather than the smaller one-floor shops which give the numerous personalities their own looks. Sports equipment and glamorous fashions will always be around and survive, but I can see anyone who wants a t-shirt with mythical creatures or sci-fi imagery, or clothes made for an era of metal-heads and geeks will be the ones suffering.
And to be honest - What's gonna stop companies giving you the 30-days return thing so you can try it on and return it in that time? Seriously, if you haven't even TRIED it by 30 days, what's the point in hyping yourself up to getting it? If you've really buggered up your schedule, and ordered something to arrive just as you leave for a holiday or such, that's your fault. (Granted, emergencies are a different case, but that's more of unfortunate circumstances. It happens.)

On a related note, whilst my store in town has 25% of all DVD's I made it a first to purchase a movie there in 3 years. For £7 I got "The Dissaperence of Haruhi Suzumiya", it not only marks my first Haruhi purchase but also my first Manga Entertainment DVD. Only hope it isn't tainted in some way...

That's a good price, Otaku. Might have to go check my local out, although all 5 here in Edinburgh are closing, and when I went to the one on Princes Street earlier today, most of the anime was gone.

Lawrence said:
ayase said:
Lawrence said:
That's a bit of a scary thought.
Really? That's the toned-down version where we're all still alive.
That's a bit of a negative thought, isn't it?
The way I see it, there's going to be a surplus of people, right? The corporations aren't making as much money as they used to, so they want to pay people as little as possible and hire them on part-time contracts that they can't possibly afford to live off because it means they don't have to give them as many rights. This in turn leads to increased welfare spending because home "owners" (if you can call paying off an interest-only mortgage home ownership) want to have their cake and eat it by having their property values stay high while wages are coming DOWN - The government obliges (this is the loud-mouthed, obstinate but voting middle we're talking about after all) and pays out ridiculous sums in housing benefit to private landlords because they sold off all the council housing they built. The national debt and taxes continue to go up, decimating the UK's credit rating in the process. The taxpayers lucky to earn enough to actually be paying tax (and the old people who don't understand the concept of change) start to complain - "Why are we paying so much out to these work-shy scroungers?" they say. Something has to be done.

So either they/we all get shifted into modern day workhouses (or just debtors prisons) or are disposed of in some other fashion. Or property values come a-tumbling down. But that's bad for the banks and the real property owners and not likely to get the government re-elected, so that won't be happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am a home owner, and would support house prices falling. Am I the only one of my kind? I don't care if the value of my house falls; I'm not selling it, so I don't care what others would pay for it. Also, if house prices fall, then the price of whatever home I was buying would be lower, just as my sale value would be lower for me own, so they balance out. They've gotta fall, for the good of the country they must.

Mutsumi said:
I am a home owner, and would support house prices falling. Am I the only one of my kind? I don't care if the value of my house falls; I'm not selling it, so I don't care what others would pay for it. Also, if house prices fall, then the price of whatever home I was buying would be lower, just as my sale value would be lower for me own, so they balance out. They've gotta fall, for the good of the country they must.
Oddly enough Mutsu, no, you're not. But then you're probably one of the sensible people who wouldn't end up in negative equity. A lot of people would and don't seem to understand the fact that taking out a 90% interest-only mortgage when house prices are at an all-time high is even a risk, let alone one they should have to face any consequences of. More infuriating still is the fact that the government seems to agree with them (although given their ties to the financial industry you can probably understand why).

Lawrence said:
Surely as the ruling party, you should be more concerned about your own nation
Politicians who actually care about their country or it's people will never get anywhere near power ever again (or will be prevented from doing anything in the rare instance that they do) because of all the vested corporate interests. The politicians with any degree of real power don't care about this country or about you, they care about their own personal profit and that of their chums at the expense of anyone or anything else. If it all goes to hell they can just chopper on out of here and live lives of luxury somewhere else with their ill-gotten gains.

theirsbailiff said:
The video gaming section, Gamerbase, might stay at the Trocadero assuming talks go smoothly. I hope it stays, considering that since Funland's closure there hasn't been that much in term of gaming at the Trocadero.
I blame that cenacle of computational caitiffs that forms the base's clientèle. Were it not for the changes to the Zeitgeist they spearheaded, we would still have a Galaga cabinet there.

Back