The Gundam Thread

I haven't seen build fighters so can't comment fairly on it but I gather it's fairly popular. It's got quote a high episode count though, hasn't it? So a physical release would probably only work if it was handled like a long-running Shonen series.

I would actually really like to see Build Fighters. The messy streaming situation (some episodes were locked away from us intermittently, I believe) and the general lameness of YouTube made me stop watching early on and I wasn't hooked enough to import the JP release, but I'd definitely be up for a local version.

R

Build Fighters is a bit of a weird 'un for me. I mean, the premise of it sounds pretty bottom-of-the-barrel. But enough people told me it was genuinely great that that I'm actually pretty curious about it now.

It also earned the dubious recommendation from one pal that 'It's, like, the most anime Gundam ever!'

Yeah. That's what I thought. :/

Also, fully with Rui on the 'general lameness of YouTube' thing. It was a rare case where I thought 'maybe I could give it a go' - but my local connectivity is unusually awful lately. And it was never that great to begin with.

Edited the OP to to make clear that Gundam news is welcome here. We could have a dedicated Gundam news thread, but I think it would be even deader than this one.

Also, to put things in perspective a bit:
I think it's a crying shame that Gundam isn't more readily available in the UK. It's arguably one of the most famous anime franchises of all time, but as it stands at the moment, there isn't a single Gundam DVD/Blu-Ray currently in print.
That post was made roughly six months before AL's first Gundam release. Now the UK has more Gundam releases than we've ever had, and while it might not be as much as the US, it's more than I think anyone at the time ever thought we'd see.

Last edited:
Edited the OP to to make clear that Gundam news is welcome here. We could have a dedicated Gundam news thread, but I think it would be even deader than this one.

Also, to put things in perspective a bit:

That post was made roughly six months before AL's first Gundam release. Now the UK has more Gundam releases than we've ever had, and while it might not be as much as the US, it's more than I think anyone at the time ever thought we'd see.
Admittedly I do have a separate thread in another forum section that keeps track of the releases between the UK, US & Japan though I'm happy to have those contents merged into this one for added readership.

Pity Gundam Wing is kinda crap because the AL set is really nice. Right now I'm hoping it won't be too long before we start seeing Unicorn (films not series preferably) and the UC spinoff like 0080 war in the pocket released over here.

Pity Gundam Wing is kinda crap because the AL set is really nice. Right now I'm hoping it won't be too long before we start seeing Unicorn (films not series preferably) and the UC spinoff like 0080 war in the pocket released over here.
Regarding Unicorn, it's definitely going to be the OVA series first and foremost. I'm curious to see what the next phase of Gundam titles coming over here will be after 00 is sorted. We know that Origin 5-6 is a priority at least.

Regarding Unicorn, it's definitely going to be the OVA series first and foremost. I'm curious to see what the next phase of Gundam titles coming over here will be after 00 is sorted. We know that Origin 5-6 is a priority at least.

As yes I meant OVAs (just used to calling them films) so thats great to hear. Also the rest of Origin is also good news for me.

Hey guys, I will join the group that desperately waits for the last 2 Origin chapters 5 & 6. I think they are already out on blu ray in the States. Man, I am eager to finish the series!!!

Bit of off-topic:
I recently bought my first Blu Rays from All the Anime which included the original gundam trilogy (normal edition) and I first thought my TV was broken. No music during the introduction message, no music during the main menu and a simple still frame. That was a bit underwhelming, haha. Especially after their great Lupin IV Box with thrilling music and a superb overall look.

an older version of this thread can be found here.
This links to a random thread. Maybe it broke during an update or it's always been wrong, but I'm guessing this is the thread that you meant:

Hey guys, I will join the group that desperately waits for the last 2 Origin chapters 5 & 6. I think they are already out on blu ray in the States. Man, I am eager to finish the series!!!

Bit of off-topic:
I recently bought my first Blu Rays from All the Anime which included the original gundam trilogy (normal edition) and I first thought my TV was broken. No music during the introduction message, no music during the main menu and a simple still frame. That was a bit underwhelming, haha. Especially after their great Lupin IV Box with thrilling music and a superb overall look.
Yeah 5 &6 of Origin is in States.

This links to a random thread. Maybe it broke during an update or it's always been wrong, but I'm guessing this is the thread that you meant:
I almost mentioned that and tried to find the old one and fix it, but I didn't think anyone would actually click those links again :p I'll fix it now.

Always been wrong indeed, I don't make mistakes @D1tchd1gger.

Last edited:
So finally watched the original series. So much better than I expected. Glad I jumped in and bought a load before really knowing what I was getting into! I put a more detailed review of my thought in the rate an anime thread but heres what i said if anyone wants to add anything here:

Mobile Suit Gundam (ep1-42 complete)

Going into this I knew very little about the Gundam franchise. I've seen Origin 1-4 but that's it. And for this fairly old show I was expecting, tbh, for it to be a cartoon power rangers. No real stakes and a big fight every week, more concerned with selling toys than anything.

Oh boy was I wrong. Quite frankly this show is amazing. Dont get me wrong it's not perfect and the animation certainly shows its age (lots of recycled shots and its not always fluid) but what it does exceptionally well is character driven story.

It never holds back from showing the effects war can have on a person. Be they a soldier, a civilian, a scientist, or a poor soul caught up I something greater than they are. We see characters succumb to PTSD type symptoms, families torn apart and people pushed beyond their moral limits.

Yes it's set in a sci fi future but the human stories are very relatable and generally pretty tragic. What's more, although theres a good side and a bad side theres still characters you like on both sides.

I knows theres the edited movies as well but my initial reaction is that I wouldn't really want to cut anything out. The was a part in the middle when Char was absent that I was impatient for his return but in the end I also really liked that arc.

9/10

Theres bits like the gundam hammer that occurs near the start that they pretend never exists now etc. I did realise that you can kinda tell they rush the end (It was basically cancelled and had to beg to finish it). You can still understand Zeta perfectly fine with just watching the show. As I never watched the films till a year or tow after I watched the rest of UC.

So finally watched the original series. So much better than I expected. Glad I jumped in and bought a load before really knowing what I was getting into! I put a more detailed review of my thought in the rate an anime thread but heres what i said if anyone wants to add anything here:

Glad you enjoyed it. Just one thing regarding the film trilogy, while the films are a condensed versions of the series it's true they are actually completely rewritten to make certain story elements a bit more coherent and natural. I personally will always prefer the trilogy because of that but it's by no means necessary to watch them if you think the series is fine.

It's great that you enjoy Gundam and I guess that viewing order I sent you will come in handy now :p

Theres bits like the gundam hammer that occurs near the start that they pretend never exists now etc. I did realise that you can kinda tell they rush the end (It was basically cancelled and had to beg to finish it). You can still understand Zeta perfectly fine with just watching the show. As I never watched the films till a year or tow after I watched the rest of UC.
Glad you enjoyed it. Just one thing regarding the film trilogy, while the films are a condensed versions of the series it's true they are actually completely rewritten to make certain story elements a bit more coherent and natural. I personally will always prefer the trilogy because of that but it's by no means necessary to watch them if you think the series is fine.

I'm sure I'll watch the movie versions eventually but I've so much other stuff to watch atm, not just Gundam, that I'll leave them for now.

It's great that you enjoy Gundam and I guess that viewing order I sent you will come in handy now :p
Indeed that was really useful. It's pretty surprising that I've gone so deep buying so much of a show I've not really watched any of. It was almost a relief when it turned out to be so good!

I'm probably going to to mix watched other stuff in between Gundam Series rather than binge all of it in one go.

Back