The Gundam Thread

Lutga said:
I'd be interested to know what everyone's 'gateway drug' to the world of Gundam was - basically, what was the thing that got you into Gundam in the first place?
I first watched Wing, but that didn't really sell me on Gundam in any sense. When I originally went to Japan I rented the movie versions of First, and then I was hooked.

I went with eBay in the end, figured I'd chance the customs fees (got away with it this time!). Amazon.jp was a little cheaper before shipping, but probably would've ended up more expensive.

Just wondering if anyone's had any luck ordering Turn A Gundam set 1 from the States?

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for Amazon UK marketplace sellers showing it... but so far, no dice. I'd wondered if it may be due to supplies not arriving with them yet, but seeing as some of the sellers on Amazon UK are only selling the same stock they've got on Amazon US, I wonder if that'd even be a concern.

Kinda frustrating.

I'm holding off on this one as I hear they're Region 1 only and it looks like Anime Ltd will be picking it up for over here.

I had mine pre-ordered from Up1USA but cancelled when it started to sound like AL have it for a future release.

Bumping the Gundam thread and making me feel guilty I still haven't delivered on my thoughts on the movies after my rewatch

Thanks HdE.

Lutga said:
it looks like Anime Ltd will be picking it up for over here
If AL can deliver Gundam Blu-rays for the UK when the States don't get them, I will laugh like a maniac before and after buying them.

Lutga said:
I'd be interested to know what everyone's 'gateway drug' to the world of Gundam was - basically, what was the thing that got you into Gundam in the first place?

Wing was the first one I watched, but I was never a big fan of it. Gundam 079 was the one that really caught my eye, but Origin (manga) is the one that blew me away. It's just so good! (The hardcover is amazing as well)

Been thinking about watching from Zeta onwards, recently.

I'm sort of keen to get hold of Turn A ASAP, seeing as Gundam is 'my thing', as the cool kids say. But I'm also willing to double dip and support a UK release if it happens.

I guess I could do an order through Amazon.com, but I'd rather see it available through the sellers I usually use on the UK site. UP1 have it listed as 'temporarily out of stock', but I may keep an eye out for it over there.

Jatz said:
Wing was the first one I watched, but I was never a big fan of it. Gundam 079 was the one that really caught my eye, but Origin (manga) is the one that blew me away. It's just so good! (The hardcover is amazing as well)

Been thinking about watching from Zeta onwards, recently.

You should totally do it!

My take on things is that the original Mobile Suit Gundam is perfectly fun, but looks a bit creaky now. It's amazing how big the leap in animation quality is from that to Zeta Gundam. And until you see that, you haven't even cme close to seeing the best of the franchise.

Speaking of Zeta, I'm really of a mind to give that a re-watch soon. Maybe even starting with First Gundam and going through all the UC stuff in order. I'm really keen to do this wth ZZ on the cards for US release.

Did anyone here enjoy Reconguista in G recently? I tried finishing off the second half last week and found it nigh on impossible. I know people make jokes are Tomino's style of writing, but it seemed utterly impenetrable to me. I don't think I've ever experienced watching something quite like it -

HdE said:
Speaking of Zeta, I'm really of a mind to give that a re-watch soon. Maybe even starting with First Gundam and going through all the UC stuff in order. I'm really keen to do this wth ZZ on the cards for US release.
Wouldn't mind doing that myself, but I'll probably skip the original MSG.

The great AUKN UC Gundam watch of 2015? Can it be done? Would people stick with it? Would I? Worth contemplating, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lutga said:
Did anyone here enjoy Reconguista in G recently? I tried finishing off the second half last week and found it nigh on impossible. I know people make jokes are Tomino's style of writing, but it seemed utterly impenetrable to me. I don't think I've ever experienced watching something quite like it -

I didn't really enjoy it either. I thought there was something wrong with me then I watched Origin and it knocked my socks off, so it's just that G-Reco is weird and largely incomprehensible. Bellri seems downright sociopathic in his cheeriness too, which is another Tomino thing I don't really get. I felt like the whole show was a big reference to something I wasn't part of; it's not unusual for Sunrise shows to require a bit of extra background reading but there was a definite sense that something was missing from the material they chose to include.

R

It's hard to believe the 'original' Gundam plot was penned by Tomino too - as going from the sheer quality of that to Reconguista, it's like chalk and cheese.

Hopefully they'll have learnt a lesson from it, and come back with something more attractive - I feel like Gundam at the moment exists in a state where it is primarily catering to existing fans - hence the runaway success of Origin, both as manga and this year's films.

But as much as people love it or hate it, I feel like - 10 years on - it's time for another SEED-style entry point to come along and really act as a new entry point.

My take on G-Reco is that, if I can stomach the rambling mess that was Wing and still be entertained by it, I can tolerate a modern series with (what sounds like) similar foibles.

I'd REALLY love it if G-Reco got a home video release in the West. I've just never met a Gundam show I didn't like.

I'm usually quite good at judging what I will and won't like based on a bit of research but Gundam is one of those that I find hard to pin down. It seems to be so many different things all tied together in a neat Space Opera package and that should really appeal to me but at the same time I can't help worrying that I might dislike it if there's too much getting bogged down in battles and power ups. It could be a matter of needing to watch the right series, since they each seem to have a different focus.

I'm wondering what fans think the "appeal" of Gundam is from their point of view. I'd imagine it's not the same for everyone but I think it'd be interesting to hear about the different aspects of Gundam that appeal to people.

I'm not sure I'll ever get around to watching Gundam but I do like the idea of something that is new and accessible for potential new fans without needing to know about what went before. That said, if Gundam really is many different things to many different people then I'm not sure how one show could capture all of that.

I say this quite often, but I think it's a crying shame that Gundam isn't more readily available in the UK. It's arguably one of the most famous anime franchises of all time, but as it stands at the moment, there isn't a single Gundam DVD/Blu-Ray currently in print.

It's great what Vertical are doing with the Origin manga releases though, and I'd definitely argue that as a fantastic entry point for the franchise as a whole.

For me, I guess the appeal works on a number of levels:

Cool mecha action/shiny mecha suits - you can drool over these and the countless various models like you would flashy sportscars.

Sci-fi - more the backdrop I suppose, but this is the glue that helps support the show as a whole.

Solid war story - Gundam is, at heart, a war story (more so than it is a science fiction one), and it delivers everything that war brings with it, from the cold, stark reality of the situation as both sides fight it out, to the emotional resonance of this amongst both military and civilian personnel.

Humanity (and what humanity means when it's pushed to its limits) - What does it mean to be a man? Will the future see us transcend what it means to be 'human'? What are the limits any one man/woman can go to, and can they change the destiny of the race as a entirety?

Love - Certain series play this up more than others, but certainly in stuff like SEED where it's pushed more to the fore you get shades of harem romance, and all the tensions and 'best girl' arguments that come with it.

I enjoyed G-Reco enough to be currently importing it. :-/ Perversely I've stayed away from the Origin anime so far...

Quick poll in this thread:

How would everyone feel about a physical release of Build Fighters?

I only just saw a little of it, an though I gather Bandai made it available for free through their YouTube channel, people seem to speak very highly of it.

I'm just curious how people would feel about owning a show like that when it's already been made available via a no-cost-no-commitment avenue like YouTube already .

Back