The General Conversation Area

Yesterday I braked my bike to avoid a car on a roundabout and pulled the front brake so hard I flipped myself over the handlebars.

Broke up upper arm, spiral fracture running up it multiple chips and fractures in my shoulder and I dislocated it. Been in constant pain since even with the drug cocktail they're giving me. Waiting to find out if I need surgery

This sucks so bad
Ouch, that sounds horrendous... Sorry dude, I hope a combination of painkillers and distractions like anime is helping take the edge of and you are managing to get some sleep as well. Wishing you a speedy and as event- & pain- free a recovery as possible.

After the guy I’ve been working with has been dragging me in to be the only ones in over the last few weekends, I got this weekend off. I barely get holidays off though so I’d be doing Monday regardless

When you’re a big fan of Alita, you’re watching it, and some guy who doesn’t speak a lick of English already knocked his electric out, so borrows yours and knocks that out too and comes to the door with a live wire connected to your mains

I’m quiet and seem pretty dumb at work but sweet sanded sardines, I at least remember basic survival skills

Oh great, two quid PER ITEM delivery charge, and "collect from store" doesn't actually mean you can have things from multiple stores delivered to your local? Thanks, CeX, I'd have just gotten cash if I had known that.

Only two months short of getting a telegram from his wife as well.

I've no great love for the monarchy as an institution or nobility as a concept, but he was still a man who had a family and people who cared about him like any other, so it's a sad day for them.

I guess the new bedding I was searching for must have been too sexy because somehow, some way, one of the results I returned was this collection of articles from the '50s, '60s and '70s about couples sharing beds on-screen. The website is an absolute clickhole, be warned, but this had me almost crying:

...the reason many Hollywood producers play safe with twin beds, is because the British censors want it that way.

Not too long ago, the studio learned this lesson in “Her Husband’s Affairs.” The questionable scenes concerned Franchot Tone and Lucille Ball playing husband and wife, occupying twin beds which were placed side by side to look like one large bed.

British censors were horrified. They ruled the beds had to be at least 12 inches apart, and neither spouse could indulge in any form of joint occupancy of the other’s territory. They were allowed to kiss only if their bodies remained in their respective beds.

In order to make all things comply with all edicts, the studio had to reshoot many scenes at a cost of $30,000.
There's a thread somewhere here tied to the end of the fan service discussion about the potential of fiction to influence reality, but obviously this doesn't really belong there. The real kicker though? Even back in nineteen fifty-two...

an American advisory group on family relations had found a high correlation between twin beds and divorce.
I can't POSSIBLY imagine why.

I guess the new bedding I was searching for must have been too sexy because somehow, some way, one of the results I returned was this collection of articles from the '50s, '60s and '70s about couples sharing beds on-screen. The website is an absolute clickhole, be warned, but this had me almost crying:

There's a thread somewhere here tied to the end of the fan service discussion about the potential of fiction to influence reality, but obviously this doesn't really belong there. The real kicker though? Even back in nineteen fifty-two...

I can't POSSIBLY imagine why.
it's kinda funny comparing tv back then and now to how tv over here is to over there, you can't show a boob unless it's some premium channel but they're fine with someone getting shot to death or seeing body parts fly all over

you can't show a boob unless it's some premium channel but they're fine with someone getting shot to death or seeing body parts fly all over
You're exactly right there, and it reminds me of something I once read somewhere about the cartoon music video for "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead.

It pointed out how MTV demanded that the nipples of a pair of mermaids needed to be censored in order for the video to be aired on their channel, but they deemed the part immediately before it where a man chops off his own limbs with an axe to be completely okay. 👌

I’d kinda stopped bumping my art thread on here as a lot of the stuff I’ve done lately wasn’t anime related, but a couple of them might fit actually. I should really see to that.

Back