The General Conversation Area

Wasn't sure where to post this but thought people may enjoy it. Theres some interesting tidbits about the history of animation and they also discuss Akira

i was at this gig im on the bassist side at ther end of the barrier and i cant believe i was in all that chaos and yes i was right in front of the pa.

Last edited:
I was going to reply to this, but then forgot. Probably better in here though.
Personally, I'd much rather have had an ancient world without slavery than a contemporary world with pyramids but none of us got to choose.

Recent (looks up articles, blimey 10 years already) finds suggest that they were not built by slaves:

This from the Harvard Magazine is even older (and looooong):

I was going to reply to this, but then forgot. Probably better in here though.

Recent (looks up articles, blimey 10 years already) finds suggest that they were not built by slaves:

This from the Harvard Magazine is even older (and looooong):

Thanks for that, very interesting!

anyone use any of the proxy yahoo auction bidding sites answer this question for me?
if i top up my account and can't win an auction is it possible at all to refund the money back to my bank account? they only seem to mention an account wallet but no mention of me getting the money back

I thought I'd move this here:
That's entirely for the director to decide!
Of course! But,
But dude! Who says?? 😆
I do when deciding on how much I like what they've given us. And with The Wind Rises it's an interesting film about a man following his dream, interrupted by another man's romance which doesn't add that much and makes it over long. Miyazaki's films regularly hit the 2 hour mark, this being 2:08, but it didn't need to be.
If we ever get to do the Ghibli simulwatch, it's going to be fun 😜

bull **** theres nothing illegal in those manga titles and reseter is loving the ban.

all those manga titles are available in the uk from places like forbidden planet like a said there's nothing illegal in those manga titles like i said its ********.
I’m a bit late to coming back to this, since I actually didn’t come back to the site until I got my last few deluxe volumes, but on to this...

this is an ongoing problem and I’ve been following it on YouTube mainly. I might get the names that have been brought up so far later, but as for pulling things off shelves it’s someone in the Australian government complaining about the age old problem of the content being the same as well, unsuitable content involving children, the same woman is apparently in contact with a candidate for some law enforcement job in Japan, which is surprising since you’d think someone who lives in Japan understands what’s in Japanese media and books much better than anyone else does

there’s also another Aussie government guy throwing out a bunch of hot takes on Twitter, one of the most hilarious is that he seems to think Dragon Ball Z has adult content

I’ll see if I can bring up more later, like names and what they do. This is all government workers though and mainly Australia, very few other people are saying anything

I do when deciding on how much I like what they've given us.
But you really don't, though: that's not your role in the scheme of things, because you weren't the film's producer, so you don't get to dictate to the director or studio or decide the rules of filmmaking.

the romance could have stayed
there should have been the old "based on true events" statement at the start.
a mainly serious realistic film should stick to being a realistic film and a mainly lighthearted show about friendship can treat its story in a more lighthearted manner.
[All emphasis added.]

dictate to the director or studio or decide the rules of filmmaking.
So the filmmakers make a terrible film, but they hit all the points they set out in the beginning, and you give them a free pass?

Once they release it, it's up to the viewer to decide whether they like something or not, and they won't be privy to the thought process. You then either jive with it or not.

I think critism based on what I thought should have happened is probably unfair, but I still think the way it was done broke the flow too much.

So the filmmakers make a terrible film, but they hit all the points they set out in the beginning, and you give them a free pass?
I know you're not referring to The Wind Rises specifically there, because it's my own personal favourite Ghibli film and therefore couldn't be construed as objectively "terrible", but I certainly don't see anything as being giving anyone a "free pass" by any means. But in the case of The Wind Rises I just know that the completed film matches what Miyazaki intended to make.

I think, personally, to look to "remix" an already released film as an audience member is to trample over the filmmakers' intentions, and to also most likely miss the point. It would be like looking at one of the films in the Saw horror franchise and suggesting that it should've been more family-friendly. That was never the aim of the film, nor its intended audience.

For what it's worth, one of my least favourite things to do in this world would be to sit and watch Princess Mononoke. I know that a lot of people hold it in high esteem, though, so it would be useless (and unwelcome) for me to pick holes in it and try to suggest ways that it could be "improved". It doesn't need "improved": it's just simply not my bag.

Once they release it, it's up to the viewer to decide whether they like something or not
I think you've nailed the role of the viewer absolutely spot-on there. 👍
Genuinely, I very nearly put the very same sentiment into my own previous post.

I still think the way it was done broke the flow too much.
Again, for what it's worth, I do notice a break in flow as well, to a degree, but then, it is a much-needed reset for Jiro after the failure of his design in testing. I also think that the film ends on a bit of a weak note, because it's not entirely clear that Jiro's last meeting with Caproni is taking place a full ten years after his beloved Nahoko's passing. Might a "Ten years later..." caption have remedied that? Possibly. But Miyazaki didn't want to get bogged down in on-screen text, so the one and only caption is the poem excerpt at the very start.

I might change my mind about some of those views someday, one way or the other. In any case, it remains my favourite of his films.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, one of my least favourite things to do in this world would be to sit and watch Princess Mononoke. I know that a lot of people hold it in high esteem, though, so it would be useless (and unwelcome) for me to pick holes in it
That's why we have to do that Ghibli simulwatch one day
netflix-aanbod-week-13-a-clockwork-orange-859x639.jpg

😜

I might change my mind about some of those views someday
PM was my top pick when we did that ranking list nearly 3 years ago, but then I went to see it at the cinema and:
Still great, but one thing I did realise being a captive audience is that it is on the long side, as I've only ever seen it off a recording on the Sky box or off a disc where you can pause it
Another Miyazaki that hits the 2hr mark, I think my attention span is definitely decreasing. I didn't write it down, but I do remember quite a few drawn out silent moments in it that didn't help, something else you don't notice when watching at home.

Last edited:
That's why we have to do that Ghibli simulwatch one day 😜
Gloves off... 😉

I think my attention span is definitely decreasing
The length and pacing is actually an often-cited issue with Princess Mononoke, to be fair. I remember @Hanners taking a look at Studio Canal's Steelbook release during his UK Anime Network days and admitting that his focus does tend to drift a bit in its latter stages. Some people have that problem with The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, too, but I don't, personally. That easily holds my attention all the way through despite it being actually a bit longer.

Swings and roundabouts, innit.

If it's a hassle, don't worry about it, but @Neil.T , you seem like the man to ask - what do you make of the translation for the top panel here?

116884719_10159062602913287_450306065394357541_o.jpg

I was rereading the original GitS manga today and it struck me that Kusanagi's comment basically contradicts this conversation as it is in the 95 film, where Togusa clings to his old revolver precisely because it won't jam. People more knowledgeable about guns than I am have told me that is accurate, so I'm curious if there's something been lost in translation.

@Professor Irony:

It's really no problem at all, Prof; it's interesting for me too, and gives me a chance to learn some unfamiliar kanji.

I translated the Japanese text above the top panel and compared it to the same scene in the '95 film. The dialogue is completely identical bar the name of the gun. (The film uses "Matever".)

So, yes: the film subtitles are surely correct, and that manga translation seems to be wrong. Kusanagi is asking Togusa if he is afraid of potential jamming, not if he "isn't".

For what it's worth, by the way, I like that top panel layout; it's a really neat way of showing us Togusa's expression. 😆

Shirow's original seems a lot more mischievous than Oshii's comparatively po-faced take.

Ahh, thanks very much! That makes far more sense. I don't remember picking up on it before, but going through the manga again, there are a few bits of dialogue that feel kind of non sequitur-like and that just made me wonder if maybe the translation was less than stellar. It certainly seems as if the same script has been used across all the English releases of GitS since the manga was brought over in 1995, which surprised me, as much was made of the recent collector's edition being its first printing in the original right-to-left format with the Japanese sound effects.

But yeah, Shirow's manga is a very different experience to Oshii's interpretation. His sense of humour is quite sardonic and frequently shows in the little observations about life in this particular vision of the future, which is noticeably more dysfunctional than it seems to be in the various anime. I might have brought this up when we did the Dominion simulwatch, but Kusanagi is a more puckish and outgoing character too, probably best illustrated by this particular pair of panels...

gits.jpg

going through the manga again, there are a few bits of dialogue that feel kind of non sequitur-like and that just made me wonder if maybe the translation was less than stellar.
If you come across any other peculiar things, Prof, do feel free to bring them up. I'm by no means an expert, and I'm sure some of the language in Shirow's work must be quite technical and complex, but I'll certainly have a good look at it.

the recent collector's edition being its first printing in the original right-to-left format
You know, funnily enough, I did notice that, despite your photo being of the original "unflipped" layout, the driver's seat of the van is on the opposite side compared to the '95 film. In fact, Kusanagi is sitting against the opposite wall, too.

There are a couple of strange bits of dialogue I noticed (in particular, a couple of pages prior, the same conversation between Togusa and Kusanagi has a comment about a woman's age being much higher than Togusa realised, and it isn't clear who he's talking about), but unfortunately, that bilingual copy isn't mine and I don't like bothering them for another photo. It looks kind of like that edition is in a larger format than my physical copy though, so I might consider picking it up anyway. The English typesetting is a bit ugly and the script appears to be an older, unedited draft (by Frederick L. Schodt, no-less), but it contains additional footnotes from Shirow about various bits of tech, so I could probably justify it to myself.

Notably, it's also uncensored, should anyone be looking for that.

All fun and games at work, had this little visitor show up in the control room
20200808_163538.jpg
No idea how it got in as we don't have any doors and windows open (must have a hole somewhere). Getting it back outside was a chore.

Back