The General Conversation Area

To be fair, I did actually look up rail prices for a laugh the other day in work, and a standard open return from Cardiff Central to Edinburgh cost £402.05. There was an off-peak fair that was I think around £188.00 ish, and I'm sure you can save by advance booking as well, but even I was surprised at the cost. I live in North Wales and I could get an open return for around £200.00 ish (£115.00 off-peak).

I can top that! Open return from Truro to Edinburgh is £432.40 (but that's for next week) :D

/umiko

Me and the ex had a weekend there and had a great time. When we decided to get married we wanted to do it in Edinburgh. It was a 6 hour drive but worth it, it's a lovely place.
After we'd had the ceremony we walked up the Royal Mile, me in a penguin suit and her in a red wedding dress. We had so many Japanese tourists asking for photos of us it was hilarious. We even had a photo posing with a William Wallace lookalike 😂
That's brilliant. 😆
The Royal Mile really is a lovely setting, though. I was saying to Aya earlier how it feels a bit like stepping back in time.

Argh. This cross-posting is confusing the crap out of me, those posts about rail fares span three different threads.

ayase's rules of cheap rail travel, as someone who usually pays around £25-£30 each way to London from Middlesbrough are as follows:
  • Never buy an open return, unless by some miracle it happens to be cheaper. If you're returning on another day, two single tickets are cheaper nine times out of ten. Open returns are an absolute scam. Just buy two singles.
  • Split your tickets. Find out which station(s) you'll need to change trains at and book separate tickets for each leg of the journey. This is possibly the most important, and can knock huge amounts off the price. There's even a helpful website for this.
  • Book early. Train tickets become available three months before travel. If you know in advance when you want to go, book the day the tickets are released for sale. Buying on the day of travel will make your wallet want to kill itself, obviously, but even using next week's fares to try and gauge a price for a train in six months in the future can be totally off.
  • Travel at times of day no-one else wants to. Let's say I want to go from Darlington to London on Friday the 9th of August. If I travel at 16:28, it's £82.50. If I travel at 21:48, it's £19. Sure I get there at one in the morning, but I'd rather sit in the 24hr Starbucks in St. Pancras for seven hours or use that £60 I saved on a hotel (which is entirely doable in King's Cross).
I know this might be obvious to some people, others may be more averse to hanging out with London's tramps in the wee hours of the morning (they're generally quite nice people, I find) but when I see prices in the multiple hundreds of pounds I wonder what on earth folks are doing. Even if you don't want to do all of these things, you can make significant savings by just doing some. I can get to Aberdeen for £45, Penzance for £92. You can too.

Quick question: can anyone name any hedgehog movies (other than Sonic)?

I'm just wondering how accurate the claim on the front of this DVD is.
61zzA%2BMc0BL.jpg

Quick question: can anyone name any hedgehog movies (other than Sonic)?

I'm just wondering how accurate the claim on the front of this DVD is.
61zzA%2BMc0BL.jpg
There's that hedgehog toy in Toy Story 3 which I'm pretty sure is a better film! Though admittedly I haven't seen that film you've put forward.

There's that hedgehog toy in Toy Story 3 which I'm pretty sure is a better film! Though admittedly I haven't seen that film you've put forward.

I forgot about Toy Story 3! But then again, it absolutely destroyed me emotionally, so I try not to think about it too much. 😭

I think it's fairly safe to assume it's better than Andy though. Even taking into account it's wonderful US DVD "artwork"...

51Wfa3cLbVL.jpg

I forgot about Toy Story 3! But then again, it absolutely destroyed me emotionally, so I try not to think about it too much. 😭

I think it's fairly safe to assume it's better than Andy though. Even taking into account it's wonderful US DVD "artwork"...

51Wfa3cLbVL.jpg
Hahahahaha oh my that picture makes me want to watch it so much more now!

Speaking of Toy Story the fourth film looks decent enough though I’m hoping they call it quits after this instalment (Sees Toy Story 5 announced in two years)

Back