The General Conversation Area

Well it's about time I start installing Windows 10. Hopefully it won't take 7+ hours like it did to install Windows 8.

UPDATE: Except it's still set to reserved. Uhh.. what?

Yeah, you have to wait until you get a notification telling you it's ready. Apparently it's being done in waves, so it depends how late you reserved your copy. I think they did it that way to prevent the servers getting killed by everyone downloading at once.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Yeah, you have to wait until you get a notification telling you it's ready. Apparently it's being done in waves, so it depends how late you reserved your copy. I think they did it that way to prevent the servers getting killed by everyone downloading at once.

Makes sense but that's just unfair given many people have already got theirs. Tried to manually do it (as many websites are considering it) but it seemed to have failed. I guess I might as well wait for the notification to appear.

Worst week EVER.

Monday - IT issues and a slow team. Stuff done before lunch was still being done by 3pm. I had to do some of the other peoples tasks.
Tuesday - Slow team. I had to again do some of the other peoples tasks.
Wednesday - Today goes well, the team blasts through the work (only 2 of em) but Ruby calls in sick and says she'll be off the rest of the week. Sorry but like how do you even know you'll be sick the next 2 days?! We have Jason off the next 2 days too leaving me and 1 person to do the work. Hate when women pull the pregnancy card to just never come to work.
Thursday & Friday - I'm being taken off my signing role to go back to my old level of completing the daily work. Another person from another team is having to cover me role. No one is happy about this.

SUCKY WEEK. Roll on my half day Friday!

-Danielle- said:
Worst week EVER.

Monday - IT issues and a slow team. Stuff done before lunch was still being done by 3pm. I had to do some of the other peoples tasks.
Tuesday - Slow team. I had to again do some of the other peoples tasks.
Wednesday - Today goes well, the team blasts through the work (only 2 of em) but Ruby calls in sick and says she'll be off the rest of the week. Sorry but like how do you even know you'll be sick the next 2 days?! We have Jason off the next 2 days too leaving me and 1 person to do the work. Hate when women pull the pregnancy card to just never come to work.
Thursday & Friday - I'm being taken off my signing role to go back to my old level of completing the daily work. Another person from another team is having to cover me role. No one is happy about this.

SUCKY WEEK. Roll on my half day Friday!

Is it possible for you to reduce their pay and punish them? :twisted:

Sadly I'm not that high on the ladder lol. I'm only ever so higher than them myself and we're the same damn job and therefore pay grade. I want more money DAMMIT! lolol.

I finish in 2 mins and its sunny! Thank eff for that. May sunbathe, may do some colouring (yes I have adult colours books, and I don't mean the "adult" kind eithter hahaha). May just cuddle my dog. Having cheese on toast with beans for dinner because I cba and i'm also a champion!!!

Job interviews are fun. And by that, I mean they absolutely suck.

Should I be concerned that on the day I went for an admin job at the NHS... it's announced Capita (Aka Crapita) are taking over admin for the NHS and slashing 1000 jobs? They will forever be the thorn in my side.

Hehe... I worked on a project for Capita as a consultant for a third party until about 6 months ago. Wont say too much in a public forum but at times they could certainly be... difficult.

I worked on a PPI project a few years back... it ended very badly. A lot of it had to do with the bank and the job itself. But I'm not trusting of Capita themselves.

Unless I get a job with the NHS and they take over. Then I welcome my new overlords!

I'm a big Top Gear fan, but that still wouldn't convince me to pay £79 a year for Prime, even with all the other stuff thrown in.

One of the golden rules when providing references for security clearance paperwork, that the person providing the reference must not be related to you.

First reference was someone's husband, she has sent in another reference...

...And it's her aunt.

What part of "not related to you" is hard to understand. And what is more worrying is the clearance is for the new NVQ assessor :roll:

I hate covering security :(

----

Amazon getting Top Gear, at least it's better than it going to someone like Sky. No doubt Amazon will probably have the episodes to rent for non subscriptors at a hefty premium.

Kite said:
One of the golden rules when providing references for security clearance paperwork, that the person providing the reference must not be related to you.

First reference was someone's husband, she has sent in another reference...

...And it's her aunt.

What part of "not related to you" is hard to understand.
Yeah, I mean if you're going to get a relative to give you a reference at least create a false identity for them to use. Or just, y'know, cut out the middleman and be your own references.

For extra bonus points, give your "references" subtle comedy names.

So, did everyone here upgrade to Windows 10? I have and I really like it so far. The start menu is far improved over 8 and I'm so glad they scrapped the idea of having two different environments, the desktop and tile modes, and just made it into one again. My PC also seems to be running a bit faster too. My only gripe so far is my PC no longer picks up my DS4 controller, meaning I've essentially lost my only PC controller but I'm sure that's just a case of waiting for drivers and the like.

i've been running Windows Server 2016 technical preview on my laptop for the last few months. Prior to that had server 2008 R2. From what I've seen of Windows 10 it does look much improved over 8 but I think I'll be sticking to the Server flavour for my main OS. Reminds me - I need to upgrade to technical preview 2 at some point.

IncendiaryLemon said:
So, did everyone here upgrade to Windows 10? I have and I really like it so far. The start menu is far improved over 8 and I'm so glad they scrapped the idea of having two different environments, the desktop and tile modes, and just made it into one again. My PC also seems to be running a bit faster too. My only gripe so far is my PC no longer picks up my DS4 controller, meaning I've essentially lost my only PC controller but I'm sure that's just a case of waiting for drivers and the like.

I'm liking Windows 10. At first I was a bit disappointed considering it actually felt a bit slower than Windows 8 but once you fix some bits and bobs it's running as fast as Windows 8 now. My only grip is that my laptop now feels like it's got a muffled audio problem, using headphones is perfectly fine though (the biggest issue in reality is iTunes, perhaps it's just a mini-glitch which will probably be fixed later on).

Overall:
+ Still boots up fast
+ No 'Something happened' issues
+ Chrome still works
+ Microsoft Edge is okay, runs better than Explorer
+ Mail app is still going well
+ Weather app is much better and detailed
+ Store app actually works for once, from Windows 8.1 onwards I couldn't access it at all
+ PowerDVD still works thankfully, meaning I can still watch my Region A stuff without a weird driver issue
+ Everything is there, just as expected
- They still haven't added the ability to change the background on the login section, you can change the beginning screen like in Windows 8.
- The whole 'auto updates' might be worrying. I recall there were cases that an update did crash people's computers during the Windows 7/8 days.
- Not sure if Windows 10 is to blame but my audio isn't as great without headphones..

Roddy Piper passed away.

The guy was a true legend of wrasslin' - without Piper, there would be no Hulk Hogan or Wrestlemania.

A couple of months after losing Dusty Rhodes... sad times for wrestling fans. :(

Back