The General Conversation Area

Sounds good, i know where you're coming from, its possible to finance things if you monitor you're spending, sadly i haven't fully paid off the gf for the holiday so my spare cash goes to her hah.

I expect an invite sent to me, Voddas and Ayase ;)

mangaman74 said:
megalomaniac said:
Back to the card fraud for a moment: http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/UK_ani ... lant!.html <- It's looking more and more like the source of the leak is anime-on-line.

The last time I ordered from them was several weeks ago. Hope this problem doesn't go that far back.

Me either it haven't ordered anything for a few weeks. Though some one on the other forum said that they had never used Zavvi before so perhaps it isn't them

Aya-Kun said:
mangaman74 said:
megalomaniac said:
Back to the card fraud for a moment: http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/UK_ani ... lant!.html <- It's looking more and more like the source of the leak is anime-on-line.

The last time I ordered from them was several weeks ago. Hope this problem doesn't go that far back.

Me either it haven't ordered anything for a few weeks. Though some one on the other forum said that they had never used Zavvi before so perhaps it isn't them
The card I had the issue with I haven't used with them for a long time (at least 6months, not checked back any further yet). My other card however......well I'm ringing up to cancel that now.

megalomaniac said:

I thought so! Thanks for the update.

It doesn't matter if you haven't ordered with them for a while. The details are stored on a database and someone has got hold of them. I advise anyone who has an account on there to check their bank statements carefully - especially Saturday 15th for any 02 top ups/large sums of money going to the US. We don't know how many accounts have got compromised with the security breach. Perhaps anime-on-line should consider beefing up its security as this has happened before.

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/UK_ani ... lant!.html

UPDATE:
EDIT 16:35PM (17/09/2012): At the time of writing, the Anime On-Line website is now reporting that it is "closed for maintenance", and MVM Entertainment (who run the site) have confirmed that they have been informed of potential issues with the site being compromised by their ISP. The site was set to be relaunched as early as next week, complete with a new off-site payment provider (WorldPay), but closure of the existing site has been brought forward as a precaution - it may re-open with PayPal as its sole payment option until the new site is completed and opened.

Great to hear it's been possibly found, though it sucks that it's them as they don't need this :( I assume Manga UK's shop was also affected? I normally used a different card with AOL so I'm going to have to check my accounts now.

On the bright side at least I can keep my really cheap Kaizoku Musou preorder at Zavvi now >_>

R

Rui said:
Great to hear it's been possibly found, though it sucks that it's them as they don't need this :( I assume Manga UK's shop was also affected? I normally used a different card with AOL so I'm going to have to check my accounts now.

On the bright side at least I can keep my really cheap Kaizoku Musou preorder at Zavvi now >_>

R
That's assuming people use MangaUK's shop.

Checking my account, I haven't been affected so far. I hope I'm not, as I already had my card cloned once this year. Then again, I don't even have £10 in my bank right now.

So today turned into a bitch started well going back to uni and seeing my friends today lectures went well then after a bitch of a bus ride home I went to the cash machine to take out money for five a sides and took a look at my balance which was down £80 at first I was happy as I assumed it was my up1 order for arakawa part 1 and steins gate part 1. However this wasn't the case when I got a mini statement out the £80 was 2 £20 charges and 4 £10 charges which made me furious so I went into the bank which was about to close (but the women were top notch keeping it open to help) so I told them about the problem and when they printed off the statement they said that it was for vodafone and o2 so now I knew I was in the same boat as what I had read on here last night. So after I was put onto the RBS fraud squad I have barely any money in my account and my card has been cancelled however the women said I will get a full refund, but the whole thing is such a bastard. Then on the bus home I began bricking it and started contemplating giving up collecting anime as I didn't know which websites were safe and now that I have found out it was anime-on-line that thought has been put to bed. So roll on new card and refund as I want steins gate.

I feel for everyone getting hit with the card fraud, it's happened to me twice before. My bank were good each time though, first time I noticed it and called them up, got my money back within 2 weeks, and 2nd time they put a stop on it when someone tried to use it and phoned me up to tell me about it.

So I've been thinking about getting a ps3 lately. I got rid of my 360 3 years ago as I was done with gaming, everything seemed to be just FPS clones (still seems that way somewhat), and my sisters and I put money in together and got a Wii (which we've hardly ever used). The only games I was playing since then were the excellent Sam & Max series from Telltale, as well as the Monkey Island game they brought out and Football Manager. I had considered getting Telltale's Back To The Future and Jurassic Park games as they were coming out but never did and so the only game I was left playing was FM, and I have now officially given up on that after swearing to myself a month ago that I wouldn't be buying this years after last years infuriating version. I've been browsing eBay and other places and am now pondering whether I should get a new one or a used one a bit cheaper? When it comes to DVDs, and games before, I didn't have an issue buying used, a console is different though, I'm somewhat reluctant to. The used ones I'm trying to look at are only a few months old though, I wouldn't want anything older than that really, if I decide to go New however, I don't know if I should just wait til round about Christmas for a deal then.

Got home from work and got told that the bank had called. I knew straight away what that was going to be about. I was told that there was a £10 O2 charge and something like £250 for a clothing shop. I told them that both had nothing to do with me.

My card has been cancelled and a new one issued. I will also receive a letter asking me to confirm the O2 charge had nothing to do with me which I need to confirm and return to the bank's fraud department. At least they put a block on the clothing charge before calling me.

I now need to sort out some of my orders with sites that used that card - most use a different card but there are a few that used this one. I think in future I might pay AOL by cheque just to be on the safe side. It might delay the orders and cost slightly more but at least it will be safer (and it isn't as if I buy lots of stuff from them anyway).

mangaman74 said:
megalomaniac said:

It looks to be SQL injection and very, very recent. (we've had a ~1 month old card hit)
For allegations check twitter courtesy of a few people allegedly flaunting the computer misuse act to confirm that the site is very vulnerable to SQL injection.

My last order was 18 months ago. (got call Saturday about possible fraud in 3*£10 O2 payments)
The last time I entered card details online (anywhere, (Steam)) was about a month ago. That also suggests it's a compromised database.

When you used it has to be BEFORE the attack (this is a stolen DB not someone inserting a keylogger), the entire database is likely compromised. So if you've used it with any card that hasn't expired cancel it now.

Haha, the top-ups are just because that kind of small transaction has very weak security, so the crooks can check a card is active before risking it on a big haul. That and they don't tend to be picked up by the legitimate user. Because I actually use O2, the fact that both of my previous card cloning incidents did this allowed them to go unnoticed at first until I realised that it was, of course, the wrong card for my O2 charges to be coming from :/

I wish that the security of card payment processes in general was vastly improved, it's a joke at the moment.

R

Fortunately since my last order with anime on-line, I've had a new card with new card and security code number.
I must admit I much prefer to pay using Paypal where that's an option and many (inevitable) payments to Royal Mail for HMRC go thru 3D security on RM's 'fee2pay' site.

Reported the whole affair to my bank's fraud department, I do feel slightly sorry for MVM in that they'll be getting all these investigations, but they should never have been so lax about their payment security.

Going to be tough to feel comfortable using my card details when purchasing stuff online now, I'd much rather use Paypal than directly enter the information.

Wow, I move to Uni and missed something somewhat large, huh?

Glad to know we have a cause for where it was, although pretty sad that it was anime-on-line. They've always been fantastic and I've never had a bad word about them. It kind of feels nice to know where the leak was though, as that rules out any suspicion on any other places.

Still, now I need to survive on £20 until I can get my money back whilst living out of an old water bottle thanks to my ride bailing at the last minute! :p

Back