The General Conversation Area

Just watched trailers for a bunch of movies and two particular trailers stood out but not for the right reasons. Those were Sherlock Gnomes and Peter Rabbit. What in the actual ****!? Both of these films look truly awful I mean Sherlock Gnomes looks especially lame with every 'joke' a pun, obvious lazy humour or just literal fart jokes, I mean **** me it is amazing the **** being made these days. Then comes Peter Rabbit which is about as insulting to the source material as one could imagine, summed up perfectly by that overly long and ******* terrible scream at each other 'joke'. The fact both these films are British set and actor focused has me feeling immense shame right now. What I find just as insulting to my being as these crappy movies is the fact that so many actors that you've actually heard of are in these. I mean seriously you might as well just through away 'starring __' and instead put in '___ Sold their soul for $****'. **** those two films look like total trash :eek:

Just watched trailers for a bunch of movies and two particular trailers stood out but not for the right reasons. Those were Sherlock Gnomes and Peter Rabbit. What in the actual ****!? Both of these films look truly awful I mean Sherlock Gnomes looks especially lame with every 'joke' a pun, obvious lazy humour or just literal fart jokes, I mean **** me it is amazing the **** being made these days. Then comes Peter Rabbit which is about as insulting to the source material as one could imagine, summed up perfectly by that overly long and ******* terrible scream at each other 'joke'. The fact both these films are British set and actor focused has me feeling immense shame right now. What I find just as insulting to my being as these crappy movies is the fact that so many actors that you've actually heard of are in these. I mean seriously you might as well just through away 'starring __' and instead put in '___ Sold their soul for $****'. **** those two films look like total trash :eek:
Yea these usually are made from time to time. They expect to make money from families going to watch them, all they are is cash grabs and something to make it's cast and crew somehow relevant. Every single film doesn't have heart and brilliant writing unfortunatly, even if some of those films have brilliant actors

All this videogame loot box attention made me realise something.... Every year we buy things to exchange with others and guiltily hope that what we get back is something we actually want and not a duplicate. Whilst this is going on we're crying at the state of our bank balances, unable to stop.

I didn't grow up in a family that celebrated Xmas and I was always content to treat myself every year but my lady loves it and now every year I go crazy buying lots of stuff for her..... and I had a horrible thought..... am I an Xmas loot box whale? o_O

am I an Xmas loot box whale? o_O
"Life is like a loot box" as I think Captain Phillips once said.

Just watched trailers for a bunch of movies and two particular trailers stood out but not for the right reasons. Those were Sherlock Gnomes and Peter Rabbit. What in the actual ****!?
Wow. Peter Rabbit, voiced by James Corden, completely abandoning the source material for present day lowest common denominator "comedy". There is a very promising new contender for Worst Thing in the World.

I updated Windows 10 and my WiFi on my laptop is completely broken, fun.
Just got a 1080ti yesterday and had to do what I call the "new hardware dance" where Windows crashes because it's made my OC unstable. I have 2 easy settings to OC but I can't set them at the same time because Windows doesn't like it. I have to reset everything, set one, then the other then set the.other one again, each time going for a stable boot in Windows

I didn't grow up in a family that celebrated Xmas and I was always content to treat myself every year but my lady loves it and now every year I go crazy buying lots of stuff for her..... and I had a horrible thought..... am I an Xmas loot box whale? o_O
You get what you pay in, holiday sex is a rare drop you'll probably get duplicates of a peck on the cheek under the mistletoe like every holiday season, but a bit less common then that would be her straight up giving you that orc you need to conquer fortresses. He mows the regular crowds.

Luckily I only have to worry about The Single Mans Christmas, where I endanger my liver with a chance of vomiting

201rs9.jpg

So I was looking for someone to print me a custom vinyl decal, and while one of the websites was a bit pricey for me, something caught my eye in their gallery of clients...
GeW9WJS.jpg
yr8c9Sr.jpg

Overjoyed to see that Katie Hopkins, professional hatemonger and full time ugly cowbag, has deleted her Twitter nonsense after parting ways with The Mail Online.

Ding dong, the witch is dead!

I seem to attract indignant wannabe "My father/friend/whatever is a lawyer, gimme my money back, or...!" morons these days...

This time it's a guy who bought an old phone in person. It's a phone I put out a local announcement out about one and a half year ago and it was sitting in its original packaging in a shelf. I loaded the battery half full and was starting to show him the phone's functions as working and that the extras are all there, he cut it short and said "is ok, is ok, just put it in here" (his knapsack) and he hurried away.
A short while later he messages me: "You sold me a phone that gets no reception!!! I want my money back right at once, or I'll go to the police because you sold stuff with falsified facts!!! Why you not say its defect!"
Me: "It wasn't defect, when I put the advertisement out. Did you try checking the settings?"
And "looked, there is no reception you sold a broken phone and said it would work that's a crime and I'm mad I paid twice the train and cost me atop of the 25euro and that's 30 for an inkompetent phone and you can decide whether you come to my place (PLACE) and gimme back my money at once or I'll file a charge because of selling a mobile phone falsiefied facts that is not good from you to sell broken things on ebay" and "I wanna my money back phone is broken I didn't pay for a boken phone whats the big idea?" and "I save all message and made an image from your advertisement you haven't mentioned that phone is broken" and "Answer me or I come to your home!! that's just not possible you sell defect devices here!! how associal is that please"
Kind of exactly like that. No punctuation. Very impatient, the messages came in in minutes intervals.

Luna says sorry, but also informs him of what she wrote in the advertisement, which included no gurantiess, no returns, ask questions before paying and moreover I had already offered showing everything to him and he was the one who declined.

"I wanna my money back you said all works I trust you you kept the no reception secret thats a crime so gimme my money back right at once!!!" and "don't make me mad you are not allowed to sell defect stuff without mentioning it that is fact!"

Luna: "I can't keep secret, what I don't know. Did you check the settings?"

"I just wanna my money back and thats now gimme my money back and all if fine" and "yes did thats getting to dumb for me doesn't even recognize the sim card"

Luna: "Hm? So 'It's not getting reception' turns into a 'Doesn't recognize the SIM card'? That's two quite diffrennt defects you are claiming there... So is it showing "No SIM card insertet"? Or is it not finding a signal?"

"both idioting around which shows its broken" and "I just wanna my money back **** somebody else but not me" and "we meet aslso no or I file a file you did not indicate or mention the flaw you are guilty of offence"

Luna: "This may also happen when the card does not sit right in the slor. Already tried cleaning them and blowing into the slot?"

"Did tried with 3 cards" yada yada yada repeats again he wants the money back. I tried googling to help out a bit, but he doesn't seem to get it and starts blaming me for falsified facts again. And yeah, because I say, no returns and point out I did say no returns and that he himself declined checking the phone, I must be a criminal who intentionally sold defect stuff, because why would I not take the phone back and give him his money back?
And: "I will file a charge my father is lawer don't let it come that far I come geht my money and give you the phone period then there is no stress"
Then proceeds to talk about "fairness". Oh well. I point out that just the same he claims that I falsely claim that I intentionally sold a broken phone I could just as well claim he'd broke it after he took it.

"that damage looks like water damage it can be proven how old water damage is please gimme me my money back and period" and "I come not to you and give you the phone back I buy a lo of things here which furthermore speaks formyself there were similiar problems with me". there were similiar problems with me. Yes he wrote that like that.

Luna: "Even then you would have to prove that I had knowledge of it, for it to turn me into a fraudster, do you know that?"

"So you noot wanna give me my money back? Me getting that right? think about it right, if you want to go this step I'm making concessions and just want to get my money back already and you get your phone back and period" and "should I come now and give you your phone back and you my money or do you really want to pull one on me?"

I point again onto what I wrote. And that really, I see no reason why I should be accomodating, when he was reviling me as a fraudster and associal, just because he did not want a demonstration.

"So you not going to gimme my money back?" and "I did not say you are associal but that it is associal when you knew it was broken"

Then he starts pulling of a show of being oh so sorry, he's just a poor student he needs it for university contacts. Well, I did offer him the old phone of my mother (not a smartphone and without cables and probably working but not sure) for free for accomodation. He continues to plead onto my "humaness". He also needs a working phone fast this day because he needs whatsapp to organize a bowle. (He wrote bowle, but that means punchbowl. No idea what he wanted to say. My best guess he means bowling. Or is that a drinking party or what? At any rate, yeah sure, has a lot to do wih university and studiying.)

Did not answer to that immediately, cause I went to eat something.
Less than half an hour later he comes with a most indignant message:
"my father has being a lawyer for 2 years with contacts I am really making concession just gimme back my money please besides I know where you live and I don't like being jerked around. I don't wanna stress I just wanna my money back if you are not willing to gimme my money back I will think what I will do whether to file a charge or wait or drop by unexpected and get back my money no matter how I have no pity with fraudsters fun play is ends now you sell defect products and talk about goodwill? you can't be serious your're in for a high jump I surely promise you that!! stupid of you that you told a total stranger where you live and **** him... you will refret that I promise. you made a mistake which you must take resposibility and I will make sure personally and perhaps I come today perhaps tommorow and perhabts in a week fact is I will definetly come and get what is mine whethe with or without violence I don't care people like you belong behind bars you **** me willingly and such people belong hinter bars and beat up no pride and dignity. I will come!!! you can call the police if you want they can't me nothing they can't stay before your door at all time and I will get MY MONEY back period full stop!!! my money I give you was for a phone you claimed to be working and you transacted a sell with falsified facts that alone speaks against you so just you wait it's comme for you and faster than you lieven so then until right away or until tommorow let yourself get surprised we will se us that I promise you here and now!!!"

I actually even doubt this guy is in university. How can you study and not use commas even once? I'm actually surprised he had managed caps in the first messages, but those got ditched complete in the last message, too. (Doesn't translate into English, as English has no caps.)

I wrote him back "So back to treats, this time treating with violence and clear implications of assaults? That's more than obviously coercion via treats. You, the alleged son of a lawyer, should probably get it explained by him."

No answer to that since.

Well, I don't think I should be scared. I never leave out the door without my bycicle, which I could still just ram into him if push comes to shove, but really, how dumb must such people be to treat filing a charge while doing something plain worthy of being filed at themselves? I'm rather curious whether this guy actually has the balls to indeed file a charge like the last one. With that last message I definitely hold the upper hand to make it backfire on him.

Last edited:
Did you write down the phone's IMEI number prior to selling? Might be trying to swap for a faulty one he already had. I always take photos of serial numbers before selling hardware.

No I didn't. But that's an interesting point I haven't considered yet. Will do that for future sells. But might not really be an issue in this one. I had put on a protective layer on the screen which isn't entirely on the spot, so unless it has the same minimally off angle when alining the case edge it should be the same. (And if it's peeled off, it means it's not in the state I sold it in anymore.)

Geez. You're a lot more patient and accommodating than I'd be Luna. If I had sold something to somebody, second hand, cash in hand with no paperwork and no implied guarantee I think my reply to their complaints (especially if, like in your case, they were definitely bordering on harassment) would be "Sorry, have we met before? Please stop bothering me random person or I will call the police, you are clearly insane and threatening me. I have never seen that phone before in my life."

You buy second hand goods private sale that's the gamble you take (which is why personally I never buy technology that way). Even if the phone had broken immediately the first time he turned it on, that wouldn't necessarily be your fault or responsibility. It's on the buyer to make sure the goods are ok before they buy something, which it sounds like he totally neglected to do. You're not a business, you don't have to offer a money back guarantee. Hell, not even all business have to, I don't know many used car dealerships that would - It's a case of you bought it, you broke it (and they sell things for much more than 25 friggin' Euros - I can't honestly believe people waste their time making such a crazy fuss about such amounts).

I can't honestly believe people waste their time making such a crazy fuss about such amounts).
I sold a blu-ray on eBay recently for £2, which barely covered the postage. The buyer complained that it arrived a day after the estimated delivery date. He even asked for a refund. I replied in a courteous, business type manner and told him to **** off. I didn't hear from him again :D

You buy second hand goods private sale that's the gamble you take (which is why personally I never buy technology that way).
Oh, that's not actually that bad of a gamble if you look right. I bought all my PC monitors and my phones that way and a good bunch of my furniture. Got my current 30" monitor for about 120euros and that one was actually even basically new, the plastic hadn't even been peeled off. (The guy had some massive 40" thing in his living room, when I came to fetch it.) Would have costed around 300 if I bought it new.

I got burned a couple of times years ago buying electronics private sale, which is why I won't be doing it again. Funnily enough one of those was a monitor, a 19" CRT (which seemed HUGE at the time when I was used to a 14") which I was really happy with, but it lasted about two months. Also some RAM which simply didn't work.

I don't mind buying stuff second hand from somewhere that does offer at least a 12 month guarantee (shops like Grainger and CEX offer 18-24 months, which is the same as most new guarantees) and with things like furniture it's a lot easier to determine the condition of than electronics, which can have been abused in ways that aren't readily apparent. A GPU or CPU can have been overheated, for example, whether that's in a PC, a console or a smartphone. A good recent example is the BD player I bought a little while ago that died after about two weeks - That went back to Cash Converters and I got my money back without any issues.

That all said, my Amiga 600 I bought private sale when I was 11 does still work fine.

Last edited:
Since last week I have finally decided to take driving lessons. The reason I held it off years ago was because you don't really need one when you're going to University (unless you're commuting on your own or at a long distance with no other ways to access), and earlier this year I thought I would be able to get a job in Sheffield.

After the failed application process with the Front-End Developer via RISE Graduates I decided that, in a sense, Sheffield is a dead zone for IT so I moved on to the local area. Had an interview last week which I don't have much expectation for because the role was vague and when I found out about it, it was more geared towards a Mid-tier role (though they stated that they will offer training but it might be too much of a hassle given their Christmas deadline, I don't blame them). Don't have the results for it just yet.

AsU2fKn.gif

Anywho last week I started my driving lessons and so far I just finished my second one (2 hours each week). I've covered driving left & right at junctions, going through mini-roundabouts, driving from one town to another, slowing down and stopping etc.

I want to learn next year. Living on the isle of wight you don't need a car to get around so much, at least I don't as I'm happy to walk for an hour to get to places and if not catch a bus but I would like abit more freedom to travel etc as I go into my 30's and a car would be ideal for that of course.

I learnt 3 (almost 4) years ago. I passed 1st time after 5 months of lessons. Having a car is nice for convenience but I’ll be getting rid of mine when my insurance runs out in April as I just can’t justify the cost of the up keep (insurance, tax, MOT). As work is 10 mins walk from home I don’t need it for that.

Back