The General Conversation Area

Eurgh I hate summer nights. My flat is muggy and disgusting. 20 odd degrees here still apparently and it feels it.

Sleep will be horrible tonight.

vashdaman said:
I'm sorry, but at this stage let's just be real, Japan is simply mental. I keep thinking I've seen all the mentalness it can throw at me, but there's always more :lol:
Look, man. He's just happy to be meeting that kid. You can see from the smile on his face.

Vaguely toying with the idea of going back to University for a year at the moment to study Japanese. After two years in a job that I loved I got made redundant recently, and it's kind of made me pretty bitter and disillusioned about work in general - I just feel pretty unmotivated at the moment. The obvious thing to do would be to just jump back into work and start earning again, but my heart just doesn't feel in it, and I kind of wonder if I'd be happier doing something else.

The frustrating thing is, for pretty much all my adult life I'd been working toward a goal of working in the media industry, and finally achieved that goal - but now it's gone, it's like, well, what next? I don't really have that driving force to do anything anymore, and it's kind of scary, as I haven't felt that way in years because I always had that goal to fall back on in the past.

2 wonderful things have happened today:
A) Ryo has a new HDD, of which before installing, he decided to format an external HDD by accident.
B) Trying to help by getting Ryo a glass of cold D.Coke, I pick up his favourite one which has been in the hot sunlight. Brought it to the side to put in an ice cube - SMASH! TT_TT I truly am the destroyer of kitchen vessels...

I'm back from Holiday! Did I miss much around here? The forum upgrade seems an obvious one of course but apart from that, have I missed much? I plan on going through all the posts I missed this week but that might take a while...

Also, is there a way to access the Unread Posts feature with this template? I don't see it anywhere on the homepage and it's how I mainly browse the site. It would be especially helpful for catching up.

Welcome back!

IncendiaryLemon said:
Also, is there a way to access the Unread Posts feature with this template? I don't see it anywhere on the homepage and it's how I mainly browse the site. It would be especially helpful for catching up.

If you go to Quick links in the top left, you can access the Unread Posts. I was completely panicking until I found the option (lol).

R

Rui said:
Welcome back!

IncendiaryLemon said:

If you go to Quick links in the top left, you can access the Unread Posts. I was completely panicking until I found the option (lol).

R

Ah, thanks. I was panicking a bit there too :p

I went swimming for the first time in a few months in a "general" time (open to everybody).

Amazing how many lane swimmers would get annoyed when they had to slow down in the shallow end of the pool where there was a lot of families & private swimming lessons.

I did a few half-lengths, pausing at the mid-way point.

-----

Go anywhere nice?

So today has been a pretty crappy day for me, so if ya don't wanna read someone feeling sorry for themselves, stop reading now :p

So I'm in the process of looking for a new job (I have a job, I just HATE every moment of it, like actually dread going in each day but yakno, rent to pay and such), I've had some interviews over the past couple of weeks but today in the space of an hour I got a rejection letter, a rejection phonecall and a rejection email :( Getting rejected after an interview is always hard, getting rejected for 3 in the space of an hour is pretty soul destroying to be honest.

Now I'm sitting here wondering how much longer I will be stuck where I am and looking for a out. I'd love to go to college but I'm probably at the wrong end of my 20s for that now, and even if I did how the hell would I properly support myself with no job, I really just don't know where to go from here, feel utterly awful.

But hey tomorrow is another day, and after sleeping on it I won't feel so bad I'm sure, just kinda needed to get that out though :p

On another note, this heat is killing me, heads thumping, had the windows open all day and a huge fan blowing cold air in, still FAR too warm for me.....bring the snow back please.

Look on the bright side, at least you are getting interviews so you passed the first step.

At least you didn't get nothing back

I feel you about the job hunting. I'm in the same boat. I try so hard not to take it personally when I get a rejection, but for some things which I'm patently suitable for I just end up thinking "well what the hell do you want then?!"

As Kite said, at least you're getting interviews. I'm not even getting them.

Yeah you're right about the whole interview thing, I remember when I was first job hunting years ago and how frustrating it was never even hearing back from things. But at the same time I can't help but think "well, I was suitable enough for a interview, then you met me and I wasn't?" haha

I think there's something to be said for why I elected to moan to strangers on a forum rather than someone close to me though, yes it sucks, yes I feel really crap right now, but tomorrow I'll more than likely wake up with the whole "ahwel, onwards and upwards" mantra.

Kite said:
Go anywhere nice?

Greece, Malia specifically. Beautiful weather. I was quite shocked to arrive back in England and discover it's not that much cooler over here.

@Buzzkillington

I know where you're coming from on the whole Job thing. I've never actually had a job myself but god knows I've applied to plenty. I've only ever gotten one interview and that was at McDonalds, the rest of the time I didn't even get a rejection letter, just silence. It's really frustrating because it's more than likely down to my lack of work experience, which I never got in School. All the years prior to mine got Work Experience and all the years after did too, so I got royally screwed there. How can I gain experience if no where will give me a job?

I've just left college last month and I'm currently looking at apprenticeships. I've applied for 2 and I've passed all the stages so far for both, so I really hope one of those works out.

As you say, you just have to keep trying. You'll get somewhere eventually.

Buzzkillington said:
So today has been a pretty crappy day for me, so if ya don't wanna read someone feeling sorry for themselves, stop reading now :p

So I'm in the process of looking for a new job (I have a job, I just HATE every moment of it, like actually dread going in each day but yakno, rent to pay and such), I've had some interviews over the past couple of weeks but today in the space of an hour I got a rejection letter, a rejection phonecall and a rejection email :( Getting rejected after an interview is always hard, getting rejected for 3 in the space of an hour is pretty soul destroying to be honest.

Now I'm sitting here wondering how much longer I will be stuck where I am and looking for a out. I'd love to go to college but I'm probably at the wrong end of my 20s for that now, and even if I did how the hell would I properly support myself with no job, I really just don't know where to go from here, feel utterly awful.

But hey tomorrow is another day, and after sleeping on it I won't feel so bad I'm sure, just kinda needed to get that out though :p

On another note, this heat is killing me, heads thumping, had the windows open all day and a huge fan blowing cold air in, still FAR too warm for me.....bring the snow back please.
While I agree it is way too hot at the moment lets not go wishing for the next ice age just yet (I don't like it too cold either).

As for the job hunting, all I can suggest is to try asking for feedback on the interviews. Also try and analyze the interviews to see if there are things you could do better such as saying how you can help the company instead of saying how they can benefit you. You say you want to leave your current job because you don't like it. Never mention that in an interview, instead say something along the lines of wanting to seek a change.

Anyway, all the best and I hope you find something soon. Good luck to you as well IncendiaryLemon and st_owly, I hope you find a job soon.

Back